Ultrasone pro 750 or HD 650's?
Aug 23, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #92 of 104
Gotcha. My personal taste prefers the faster and more discernable details on the Ultrasones, I've had the HD600, and currently still own the HD595s. The Senns are damn good phones but a bit too flat for my taste. Kept the 595s though to use as my "war" phones. These are soon going to be replaced with the... drum roll please... Beats ::gasp::. Never letting go of my Ultrasones though until I can find a better set for mixing use. I do want to get a set of HD650s though as they sound better for some of the music I listen to then my Ultrasones.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #93 of 104
Ok, here is my first impression of the Ultrasone 750 pro as compared to my Senn 650 newer model (stock cable) with a WA6 stock + Sophia rectifier. I've been listening exclusively to the Senns for about a month so they aren't all that burned in yet. The 750s are just out of the box.

I was preparing myself for "harshness" with the 750s based on what I've read around here. Definitely not present. I hate to say it but the Senn 650s are harsh to me by comparison. That is, the Senns are hitting my ears at a frequency that causes me to perceive the music as more "grating" as compared to the Ultrasones at a similar volume level. This doesn't mean that I think the Senns are grating but what I am so far finding is that what I might call upper mids are too sharp for me to get the rest of the sound to the volume I would like in the mix.

The bass of the Ultrasones goes amazingly deep. At this point it sounds like the focus of the bass is in the lower frequencies rather than in the mid bass. This might go away after break in. To put it another way, the Senns seem to have more mid bass prominence in its mix than the lower frequencies. I think you can contribute a lot of this to the open / closed differences of the cans. When I talk out loud with the 750s on I can hear low frequencies distinctly emphasized but not so with the Senns.

Here is a very dumbed down idea about the differences I am perceiving:

With the Senns I want to turn them up to get more bass and punch but the mids prevent me from getting there without grating on my ears.

With the 750s I want to turn them up to get more mids / vocals / guitars but the bass would maybe be the limiting factor on my ears. But to my ears this is the preferable problem to have. I do like my bass.

Take away:

These phones (the 750s) are not harsh. That is, unless my ears are sensitive to different frequencies than yours. Mine are sensitive to peaky mids / upper mids, and not typically to things like hi-hats or other cymbals. I think genre preference will have a lot to do with someone's preference between these phones but they are so different that I don't think I will want to sell either one. Of course I've only had the 750s for about an hour. I understand they need 250 hours to burn in properly.
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #94 of 104
The 750 pros are absolute bass phenoms. I don't want to make a judgment on quality yet but quantity is there in spades. If it were to tighten up a tad I wouldn't complain. But if you love punchy, full bottom bass these are phones to consider. These are definite toe tappers compared to the Senn 650s, at least to me.

L3000.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #95 of 104
Hehehe in contrast even the AKG K171 has more Punch to it then these headphones... I mean that the K171 speaker/diaphram is directly pointing at the ear canal which probably results in more air pushing into the ear and that feels nice, i never got that with the Pro 750s. Way more surround.

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #96 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by airstream66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, here is my first impression of the Ultrasone 750 pro as compared to my Senn 650 newer model (stock cable) with a WA6 stock + Sophia rectifier. I've been listening exclusively to the Senns for about a month so they aren't all that burned in yet. The 750s are just out of the box.

I was preparing myself for "harshness" with the 750s based on what I've read around here. Definitely not present. I hate to say it but the Senn 650s are harsh to me by comparison. That is, the Senns are hitting my ears at a frequency that causes me to perceive the music as more "grating" as compared to the Ultrasones at a similar volume level. This doesn't mean that I think the Senns are grating but what I am so far finding is that what I might call upper mids are too sharp for me to get the rest of the sound to the volume I would like in the mix.

The bass of the Ultrasones goes amazingly deep. At this point it sounds like the focus of the bass is in the lower frequencies rather than in the mid bass. This might go away after break in. To put it another way, the Senns seem to have more mid bass prominence in its mix than the lower frequencies. I think you can contribute a lot of this to the open / closed differences of the cans. When I talk out loud with the 750s on I can hear low frequencies distinctly emphasized but not so with the Senns.

With the Senns I want to turn them up to get more bass and punch but the mids prevent me from getting there without grating on my ears.

With the 750s I want to turn them up to get more mids / vocals / guitars but the bass would maybe be the limiting factor on my ears. But to my ears this is the preferable problem to have. I do like my bass.

Take away:

These phones (the 750s) are not harsh. That is, unless my ears are sensitive to different frequencies than yours. Mine are sensitive to peaky mids / upper mids, and not typically to things like hi-hats or other cymbals. I think genre preference will have a lot to do with someone's preference between these phones but they are so different that I don't think I will want to sell either one. Of course I've only had the 750s for about an hour. I understand they need 250 hours to burn in properly.
beerchug.gif

Haven't seen this thread in a while
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had my HD650's for a couple months now and they're well and truly burned in with well over 150hours. I do like bass too depending on the music im listening. What i found is that they're really receptive to EQ'ing. I mostly listen via PC music software so have different EQ profiles setup for each headphone. I find the hd650's sound best with a setup similar to the "Electronic" EQ setting of iTunes which boosts low and high frequency (not that i use that software to play). So yeah if you like bass try just boosting the low.

Also im only playing via a D2 viper so I'd notice far more bass with a more beefy amp. Planning to get a Darkvoice or littledot sometime...

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #97 of 104
ive had the pro750s for about a year. they were very harsh at the start and the treble gave me ear ringing but not any more, after a few days of whitenoise burn in the sound changed alot and its pretty balanced now. they do have pronouned bass but listening to them is quite enguaging espically for rock/electronic music whereas ive read here that the 600/650s are a bit boring.

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #98 of 104
Quote:

Take away:

beerchug.gif

Quote:

The 750 pros are absolute bass phenoms. I don't want to make a judgment on quality yet but quantity is there in spades. If it were to tighten up a tad I wouldn't complain. But if you love punchy, full bottom bass these are phones to consider. These are definite toe tappers compared to the Senn 650s, at least to me.

L3000.gif

airstream66:
I thought you might be interested in reading the following:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...-diary-388451/

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #99 of 104
Quote:

Take away:

beerchug.gif

i agree with you for the most part. the pro750 easily have the deepest bass i've ever heard in headphones...none of my other headphones even come close (2nd position goes to dt990s). also expect the bass volume to go down a bit after 200 hours of burn-in, the upper treble will also decrease, bringing out the mids more. there will be a metallic tinge to the sound in the beginning that will eventually decrease significantly and make the tonality more natural. these are currently my favourite closed headphones.

Quote:

L3000.gif

it's really easy to tighten the bass on the pro750s...that was my only complaint regarding their bass. all you have to do is stuff a tiny bit of cotton in the earcups. it took me all of 2 minutes and it really made the bass tight and quick (reduced the bass volume a tad bit too, but nothing drastic, depends on how much cotton you use).

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #100 of 104
HD650 needs a super amp...
proline is more economic~

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #101 of 104
I certainly agree that the Senn 650s need quality amplification. I have a WA6 with a Sophia ($150 tube) rectifier. I'm not saying the Senns may not be "better" phones but I AM saying that the Ultrasone 750s may be more fun and they certainly will be punchier, bassier phones under any sort of amplification. This might not be what everyone is after, however. The 750s are much more forgiving of source. Lower bitrate songs tend to sound just fine to me when the Senns don't. Listening to Chili Peppers on the 750s has never sounded so good to me on any system -- good full-range speakers + sub included. My opinion is that a person could have both the Senns and the 'Sones in his or her arsenal and be just fine. I find that listening position on the 750s is important. I tend to push mine forward enough that the back of my ears are being clipped by the pads a bit. This maximizes bass without reducing the highs. If I push the phones back, bass is really reduced and the sound goes tinny on me. I wonder if this isn't the source of complaints that seem so common with these phones. IMHO the 750s have to be considered preferable to the Senn 650s for anyone who listens extensively to electronic or bass-centric music. I would personally include rock as well. Kick drum on the 750s is just unreal.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #102 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
airstream66:
I thought you might be interested in reading the following:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...-diary-388451/

Peter, I read a good portion of your post. All I can say is that I immediately wondered what everyone was talking about with the long burn-in process on my 750 Pros. I was not hearing anything like harshness even from right out of the box. I did get what you were talking about when you said it sounded like they were timid and hiding. To me this is not what I expected. I was thinking these things would have brash highs that would need to be beaten into submission. I can't follow you yet on all the S-Logic stuff because the Senn 650s kill the 750 Pros in terms of soundstage... at least to me so far, on my setup (WooAudio 6 + Sophia rectifier). The Senns are just more refined and they are, after all, open cans. But those weren't the reasons I bought the 750 pro. They are just going to be way better on some pieces of music than the Senns. I don't think that will change. I mean I love listening to music with the 750s that I sort of even hate. That is a good, fun headphone that can do that to me.

popcorn.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #103 of 104
Quote:

Peter, I read a good portion of your post. All I can say is that I immediately wondered what everyone was talking about with the long burn-in process on my 750 Pros. I was not hearing anything like harshness even from right out of the box. I did get what you were talking about when you said it sounded like they were timid and hiding. To me this is not what I expected. I was thinking these things would have brash highs that would need to be beaten into submission. I can't follow you yet on all the S-Logic stuff because the Senn 650s kill the 750 Pros in terms of soundstage... at least to me so far, on my setup (WooAudio 6 + Sophia rectifier). The Senns are just more refined and they are, after all, open cans. But those weren't the reasons I bought the 750 pro. They are just going to be way better on some pieces of music than the Senns. I don't think that will change. I mean I love listening to music with the 750s that I sort of even hate. That is a good, fun headphone that can do that to me.

popcorn.gif

To what degree one hears the S-Logic "surround effect" depends on a number of factors including the recording to which one is listening. In other words, the S-Logic effect is heard more on some recordings than on others. But, to some degree, it is always heard unless I am listening to a monaural recording and even then, there are what you might call "shadows" of it.
In the first post of a thread I created called "The Sound of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphone" (see link in my signature area) I wrote about some of the theories as to why some are capable of hearing the S-Logic surround effect and some are not. I hear it quite distinctly exactly the way I described it in that post.
If you are not hearing it, I would say give it time. You may eventually hear it. You may be asking 'How will I know when I hear it?' Believe me, you'll know. One example is (as explained in the previously mentioned post and thread) when listening to an orchestra, many of the instruments will sound as though they are completely outside of your head, some will sound as though they are in front of you, some in back of you, some to various positions on either side of you, some reverberation will possibly be heard above your head while other sounds will possibly sound as though they are below your head. This has been described by some as a 3-D effect which was a term that initially I did not use.
Some argue, because they can not hear it, that it is impossible that those who claim to hear it actually do. Those making this argument attribute the hearing of the S-Logic "surround effect" to possibly some type of acoustic psychosis which, I can assure you, is definitely not true. Others say that the S-Logic effect is nothing more than untruthful marketing hyperbole on the part of Ultrasone's marketing department. I can also assure you from vast personal experience with the Pro 750 that this argument is also completely false.
BTW, as a matter of fact, right now as I write this I am listening to Handel's Water Music with the Pro 750 and the sound stage is absolutely the way I have previously described it.

May 16, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #104 of 104
So I've just bought the Pro 750 (arriving tomorrow!), and was looking for a portable amp to along with them. Found a package deal including the FiiO E6, E11 and L9 for $70... what are your guys thoughts on the E11/L9 (or even the E6) paired with the 750's? Worth the $70? Help quick!

Posted here and one other thread cause I can't seem to find a dedicated 750 thread that is viewed as much as this one or others...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back