Ultrasone Pro 650 vs. Ultrasone Pro 750
Mar 31, 2008 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
I've spent hours upon hours pouring through page after page of the giant Ultrasone thread (There's Something About Ultrasone), but havent really come up with a decent answer. It seems lots of Head-Fi'ers have Ultrasone Pro 750's and/or 2500's. But there seems to be a real lack of information about the Pro 650.

I'm coming at this from two perspectives--a music lover and a musician. From what little information I've gleaned, the Pro 650 is a warmer version of the 750 that takes less time to burn-in, and has cosmetic differences (and pleather vs velvet pads).

It seems that the frequency response is different as well.

I want to use these headphones to enjoy music, obviously. But also for use as monitors, and (hopefully) some mixing as well.

I should say that I got a good deal at the local Guitar Center on a pair of Pro 650's ($250 with tax). But I haven't even taken them out yet, because I'd like to get some opinions on the merits of each.

Thanks, folks!

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 8
you can try to sort any thread here:

Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Search Results

wink.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 8
Well i have a pair of Ultrasone hfi 650s and i don't even know the differences but if you have triplefi s on the way you should be happy, i just got a pair of those and they are wonderful.

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #4 of 8
I've actually owned both - the 650, albeit, for a while. Now I'm with the 750.

Perhaps there could be other impressions out there, but mine of these are so:

The MAIN reason i sent back my 650s were that they weren't comfortable. And if you're going to be using it for hours at an end, I think that would be a main concern for you too. Comfort wise, i believe, the 750s beat its little brother - the thicker velour pads do make lots of difference, esp, I believe, if you have larger than average ears like me. I now use the 750s for hours at an end, which i could seldom do for the 650s.

I used it for about 2 weeks, and did some burning with it - not completely, but certainly enough I believe to bring out the natural sound qualities of a pair of cans. Out of the box, the 750 was certainly better, after burning, i found that the 750s quality increased considerably, but alas, not its little brother. The metallic sound remained with the 650s

The mids, I should mention, are also far better than the 650. The 650 in comparison sounded thin, as though someone had stripped of those sound waves somewhat considerably. I can't say that the 750s are 'warmer', but they are, to my opinion, flatter, therefore, more balanced.

of course, the 750s look far classier as well

I hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 8
Mar 31, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 8
yes, i was about to suggest that as well - based on the join date, this person probably invented the search function.

from all i hear - have not heard the 650, only the 750 is that the 750 is more of a taste phone. you may like it if you prefer a more neutral sounding phone but nuetral in the musician sense, not in the hifi sense where we think nuetral means not too much bass or too much treble but a peaked mids to 'balance' extreme bass.

i would love to hear from not only hifi listeners but makers of music rather who can say that one or the other made their recordings sound more lifelike and less to colour their their opinion of the recording to something sweet.

i did like the 750 - someday would love to get to hear the 650. im an owner of the dj1pro

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 8
Since my Triple.Fi's are coming UPS tomorrow morning (and I am very excited about that!), they will be my portable "rig". And depending on how I can work it out, I might even use them for vocal tracking. This might solve the problem of having to use the Ultrasones for that purpose, in which case, I might even want to get the 2500's.

It really seems that I'm destined for either the 750 or the 2500. As a musician and amateur producer (of my own music, that is), I want something as a reference. I'm sure I'll be able to check the mixes I make on speakers/studio monitors, but in general, I'm going to be mixing on whatever pair of headphones I get. I briefly took the 650's out of the box (wow, they even SMELL new!!) and I think you might be right, vic1890. I don't think i want yet another pair of pleather headphones (not after my 7506's).

Oh and shigzeo, no, I didn't invent the search function. I wish!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back