Ultrasone Pro 550 or Hfi 780
Sep 14, 2010 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TheMadcap

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm planning to buy a new closed back headphone from Ultrasone. These two models have the same price so im little bit confused. I'm using Audio Technica AD900 right now and i like them a lot. What i will do is watching movies and listening music. Important thing is detailed natural sound, wide soundstage and satisfying bass. What would you suggest me? In my country (Turkey) i couldnt find another alternative with same price range so if you only compare these two cans I'll be happy.

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 18
I like my 780s more than my Pro 900s if that means anything to you. Never heard the 550 so I can't compare. If you want a wide sound stage then you'll be disappointed with Ultrasones. Their sound stage is well defined, but not wide and has more of a spherical shape.

btw, I know English may not be your native language, but your "seriously? no answer" came off a bit rude to me.

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 18
Sorry, i didn't mean to be rude. If you can explain in which way do you like your 780s that would be great. Is that more detailed or more fun? Since there is no other choice for me which one is wider? And I want to make a point that I did not just signed up and opened this thread. I checked older thread which compares Proline series with HFI series. But I didn't find them satisfying.

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 18
In comparison to my 900s

The 780s are more exciting and have more energy/punch. They also have a more upfront sound signature. Because they are more upfront, the 780s sound stage seems smaller because all the instruments and performers seem closer.

Technically, the Pro 900s are a more capable headphone with better detail retrieval, smoother overall sound, and a larger sound stage. However, they are also slower in their attack than the 780s.

Again, I have no idea how the sound stage of the 550s compares to either headphone, but I highly recommend the 780s as I feel they are a remarkable phone, especially for such a low price range.

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 18
i think u should go pro, but id go for the 900
i did not care for the hfi780, very awkward phone, i havent tried the pro series but it must be better.
also i think that the dj1 pro's are same as pro 550, but with the dj u get upgraded pads maybe.

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 18
What do you think about the cabke of 780s, i heard it's cheap. And pro 550 has a cable which you can cahnge. I also asked Ultrasone for velour pads, and they told me that they have velour pads for Pro 550.

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
What do you think about the cabke of 780s, i heard it's cheap. And pro 550 has a cable which you can cahnge. I also asked Ultrasone for velour pads, and they told me that they have velour pads for Pro 550.

um not cheap, pretty standard really. i would say the build was cheap.  on the 2nd version model with the shorter cable, it was standard not cheap, now the plug i forget,

but u will be getting the pro series if u take my advise, as i cant really recommend the hfi 780 at all, i did not like them, they were uncomfortable, and didnt sound good unless i crammed them close to my skull, its just my opinion.  not only that the hfi780 were pretty forward in the high end and could be fatiguing.  but they could punch when crammed inward.

to tell the truth im actually interested myself to hear the pro 550 or 750, and then some love and dont love the 900, sound.  

with velour pad u will lose some seal and thus lose punch. but u may want the velour if the pad is like the 780 pleather which i was also not a fan.  thats another reason the dj1 pro mightt be better than pro 550, cause i think i read they were the same except the dj has upgraded padding,, heck it might have nicer ear pads too?? who knows, but i would definitley investigate this if i were going to get some pro 550.

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 18
DJ1 pro is in the same price range in my country. But i don't listen trance, pop or something. I listen rock and metal (mostly Pink Floyd). That's why i didn't think about Dj1, well i will check them too.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 18

if you dont listen listen to bass oriented music you might consider the pro 650, as i found that pro 650 has more neutral sounding  than the pro 550 and hfi 780 but not as revealing as the pro 750 or pro 900 which is why the pro 750/900 got the love/hate status,, but if you dont mind open headphone,, i suggest the HFI 2200 because its the open version of the pro 650 which has way more Soundstage and airy sound than the closed version.. 

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #12 of 18
First of all i wanna try a closed back headphone, i already got an open air (ad900). Pro 550, hfi780, dj1pro are my top as price. İ cant buy pro 900 or hfi 2200, by the way there is only pro 550 and pro 900, so i cant consider pro 650. There is also hfi 780 as the best in hfi series.

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 18
No offense techenvy, but maybe you shouldn't be suggesting the Pro series if you haven't heard them? You might even dislike them more than the 780s.

Anyway, I'd definitely say the 780s were stronger than my Pro 900s for rock oriented music... that was the only real "technical" strength I could give the 780s over the 900s.

I'd say a recable definitely helps the 780s if you can DIY or afford to have it done professionally...the cable inside the HFI is incredibly thin (yes, I have had the second version) and I did find that recabling helped smooth them out considerably. However, removing the diode board could also have been the reason they smoothed out, IDK.

I'm on my second pair of 780s right now and I haven't recabled these ones yet. To my ear, they are still enjoyable but a bit harsher in the upper midrange and highs and not as refined overall as my recabled pair.

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #14 of 18
OP - I have experience with half of your choices, and the Proline 750.  I did not really like the Proline 750.  Linked below are some of my experiences with the 780:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/420797/at-esw10jpn-and-ultrasone-hfi-780-briefly-compared-modding-notes-on-the-hfi-780-s

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/430663/recabling-my-ultrasone-hfi-780-s

I have no experience with the 550.

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 18

touche,
 but i specifically said i hadn't tried them.   did you try your recabled phones  side by side stock cabled for a proper compare?
also if u think the hfi are comfortable, u are one tough badass lol

No offense techenvy, but maybe you shouldn't be suggesting the Pro series if you haven't heard them? You might even dislike them more than the 780s.

Anyway, I'd definitely say the 780s were stronger than my Pro 900s for rock oriented music... that was the only real "technical" strength I could give the 780s over the 900s.

I'd say a recable definitely helps the 780s if you can DIY or afford to have it done professionally...the cable inside the HFI is incredibly thin (yes, I have had the second version) and I did find that recabling helped smooth them out considerably. However, removing the diode board could also have been the reason they smoothed out, IDK.

I'm on my second pair of 780s right now and I haven't recabled these ones yet. To my ear, they are still enjoyable but a bit harsher in the upper midrange and highs and not as refined overall as my recabled pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back