Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
Nov 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #121 of 421
Thanks.

Pro 900/Pro 2900 being relatively cold headphones, are very good with an warm amp, like a tube or some SS amp like the H1MPA from MF which is a rather musical/warm SS amp, not the better, but very good with "clinical" headphones.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #122 of 421

Quote:
I wanted to thank everyone who has reviewed the pro2900, because I did not think to buy it at first, having already the 900, but I'm very happy to have listened all of you, lol.
I use pro900 mainly for gaming and movies, sometimes for a bit of electro and hip-hop and it's perfect for these kind of music, but for the others ...
Loving beautiful voices/midrange, pro900 was very disappointing, but I don't expected more with all the existing reviews. Pro2900 is really, really very different from pro900. Clear, very detailed like the pro900 but much more beautiful midrange, more emphasized, an excellent soundstage, more warm, better bass, less boomy, more real, but still very present and very punchy, ultrasound oblige. Beautiful high without sibilance.
Like all others here, I certainly agree that this headphone is really underrated, everyone thinks that it is only pro900, but open, but not at all, it's completely different, a delight and really an fantastic all rounder.
If I had to give one small complaint, pads of pro2900 are a bit smaller, so the ears can touch edges (no problems with mine,lol), but it's really a detail.

For 380-400€, a must buy.

Sorry for my bad english:)

Congratulations-keep spreading the word. I agree with almost everything you said. I actually like the smaller cups/pads on the 2900 since they don't slide around and constantly miss the 'sweet' spot like the 900s do. I have small ears, so it isn't a problem like the DT 880s are for me. Keep us posted with continued burn in!

-Daniel

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #123 of 421

Quote:
I agree with almost everything you said. I actually like the smaller cups/pads on the 2900 since they don't slide around and constantly miss the 'sweet' spot like the 900s do.

Effectively its rather a good point, but i must have big ears,lol. Joking aside the earpads are very well.

For the moment, just 25h of burn-in for the pro 2900 (pro 900 200 hours) and differences with pro900 are already fantastic.

I know, i repeating myself, but its really, really a shame that everyone believe that pro2900 = open pro900.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #124 of 421

Quote:

Effectively its rather a good point, but i must have big ears,lol. Joking aside the earpads are very well.

For the moment, just 25h of burn-in for the pro 2900 (pro 900 200 hours) and differences with pro900 are already fantastic.

I know, i repeating myself, but its really, really a shame that everyone believe that pro2900 = open pro900.

The only actual difference between the two headphones is that the 2900s have holes in them. Same drivers, same positioning. They do sound better in my opinion as open headphones always sound better to me. But to say that they are night and day is ridiculous.

Maybe I should just quit, I'm the only one who see's it this way lol...

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #125 of 421
Again Colmustad-your's have THREE MODS ON THEM!! :) Maybe you should listen to the STOCK 900 again and get back with us!
cool.gif

-Daniel

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #127 of 421

Quote:
Thanks.

Pro 900/Pro 2900 being relatively cold headphones, are very good with an warm amp, like a tube or some SS amp like the H1MPA from MF which is a rather musical/warm SS amp, not the better, but very good with "clinical" headphones.

the coldness should be better after more burn in,, mine has already past 500 hours of burn in, recabled with the dual entry moon audio black dragon and i can't find the sound to be clinical at all,, maybe sounds flat on some bad recording but never cold  sounding,, the midrange just amazing..

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #128 of 421

Quote:
The only actual difference between the two headphones is that the 2900s have holes in them. Same drivers, same positioning. They do sound better in my opinion as open headphones always sound better to me. But to say that they are night and day is ridiculous.

Sorry, but being open doesn't explain all the differences. Drivers must be tuned differently.

When i listened to both, i had both connected to H1MPA, easy to make comparisons.
But honestly, differences are so big between them, not need to connected both in the same time to hear great differences,lol.

Quote:
i can't find the sound to be clinical at all,, maybe sounds flat on some bad recording but never cold  sounding,, the midrange just amazing..

Pro2900 are more warm, its true, with beautiful midrange, but with "the auditor", its really good, a fantastic dynamic, but sometimes, relatively cold, not like pro900 which is always icy,lol.

Yes i can't wait to hear them after a long burn in :).

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #129 of 421

Quote:

Not quite, the pro2900's drivers are re-tuned as well. That would probably account for the difference most people are noticing. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #130 of 421
Hey guys, I'm going for the 2900, I could use some help about the audio peripherals. Doing almost all gaming, so leaning toward Xonar ST, but not sure if I should get a DAC instead, or stock tubes? Also wondering what amp to get, if any.
I'm also getting 2.0 speakers (swan m200mkiii), maybe that should be noted.

Money is not really an issue, but don't want to go too crazy (>$400 DAC or >$300 amp would kinda be too crazy for gaming I think)
Reading your descriptions of the 2900s' quality is awesome btw :)

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #131 of 421

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm going for the 2900, I could use some help about the audio peripherals. Doing almost all gaming, so leaning toward Xonar ST, but not sure if I should get a DAC instead, or stock tubes? Also wondering what amp to get, if any.
I'm also getting 2.0 speakers (swan m200mkiii), maybe that should be noted.

Money is not really an issue, but don't want to go too crazy (>$400 DAC or >$300 amp would kinda be too crazy for gaming I think)
Reading your descriptions of the 2900s' quality is awesome btw :)

Just a note, if you are going to be doing gaming, I would get an amp that can decode Dolby Digital, otherwise you're not going to get that real 3D representation, even with the S-Logic on the 2900s and for games it makes all the difference (I think).. I got mine mostly for movies/games and I noticed my Tube based Amp/Dac wasnt cutting it so I'm playing around with a HD Receiver that can decode DD and DTS and connect my headphones directly to it, I also got the Turtle Beach Earforce DSS, for the price it works remarkably well (there is some background noise/hiss that I wasn't getting for the receiver, but still not to shabby), if you have the money to spare though, I'd go for a Yamaha receiver with Silent Cinema. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #132 of 421

Personally, I prefer SS to tube amps with these. There's kind of a stereotype that Ultrasone's don't pair well with a lot of tube amps, and aside from the Editions that has been my experience. Of course, there are always exceptions to rules.

Either way though I still can't rid myself of the sibilance I'm hearing on these. I like the sound signature otherwise, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #133 of 421
Maybe you have a source mismatch. Mine really don't sound sibilant at all.

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #135 of 421
I never found the 2900s sibilant-even right out of the box. The Pro 900s are some of the most piercing headphones I've ever heard, along the likes of the DT 880s and 990s. Just another one of many reasons why these two Pro models are very different.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back