Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
Dec 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #391 of 421
It is the prominent treble that enlarge the soundstage. But for me those treble caused to sell the PRO 2900 and 900 after buying the Signature PRO and DJ. Both have absolute no treble sybilance. And the PRO 550 is still with me because it is comfortable and also has this good soundstage as being closed. It is still my main can for PC gaming.

Hmm, interesting. I've never head that before (soundstage being due to prominent treble). Well I won't argue with you on the SigPro/DJ. I haven't heard the SigDJ, but the SigPro is a step up from the 900 in many ways except bass impact so saying it's superior to the 900 is understandable at least. I just can't see the 550s being any better than the 900s having heard both but to each his own I guess. If you enjoy them more than you did the 900s, that's great as they are cheaper. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #392 of 421
The Sig DJ is the logical step up from the PRO 900 regarding bass. Same quantity but much better quality. A true audiophile basshead can. The PRO 550 is better than the PRO 900 when you cannot stand the treble peaks that the PRO 900 has for a lot of people including me. If this is not your issue the PRO 900 is your route.
You might want to check out this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623238/ultrasone-signature-dj/1335#post_10117399

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #393 of 421
  The Sig DJ is the logical step up from the PRO 900 regarding bass. Same quantity but much better quality. A true audiophile basshead can. The PRO 550 is better than the PRO 900 when you cannot stand the treble peaks that the PRO 900 has for a lot of people including me. If this is not your issue the PRO 900 is your route.
You might want to check out this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623238/ultrasone-signature-dj/1335#post_10117399

I usually just EQ the pro 900 on songs that don't need the bass or shiny treble. I find it works great and the quickness of the drivers are still utilized over the lower models, but some people are really averse to EQing for some reason. To each his own. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #394 of 421
isn't this thread about the pro 2900?
it is always the same scenario:
1 - someone asks a question (usually 2900 vs. 900 bass, soundstage or something)
2 - and it ends up with signature-pro/dj evangelism.
we all know that shizzle but don't have the budget, so the signature gospel doesn't help us.
in any case, at around $1000, i would save for a HD 800...

May 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #395 of 421
I have to agree.
I am late to the party but for any can to approach the HD800s in both signature and soundstage, this may be the only one,
Although this one has more percieved bass extension.
I have herd a few other open cans and none came close in soundstage, maybe the new shures, but we're all softer except for the Beyers.
Where as this can has that trebles detail and energy like the hd800.

I just attained mine so I need more listening to come to any final descisions, but these are my initial impressions.

Edit:
I used to have an Pro 900 and can't understand why it would even be mentioned here as it is so different.
Personally I feel the Pro 900 was pure mud, but that's another story.
Also I had the 750 and DJ1 And both were nice but we're not lively.

While these cans sound very lively like my ed8.

May 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #396 of 421
You would be surprised how much the earpads from the PRO 2900 would help the PRO 900 to get civilized. Beside being open / close, the biggest difference are the shallower earpads of the PRO 2900. Had them both for some months before I got the Sig Pro/DJ. Played around with pads also from my PRO 550. Very interesting. Pads rule!!

May 3, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #397 of 421
You would be surprised how much the earpads from the PRO 2900 would help the PRO 900 to get civilized. Beside being open / close, the biggest difference are the shallower earpads of the PRO 2900. Had them both for some months before I got the Sig Pro/DJ. Played around with pads also from my PRO 550. Very interesting. Pads rule!!
So the 2900 pads were the preferred pads?
And the 900 pads actually we're the thicker ones ?
Hmm ok because I have two different pads and I just switched to the shallower and suddenly slight sibilance gone ?(!)

May 3, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #398 of 421
Yes the sibilance is reduced and the bass gets from muddy uncontrolled to more civilized, but still very strong.

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #399 of 421
what would be better for mixing and mastering hip hop, trap and edm? I can't decide weather to buy thr pro 2900's or the beyer dt pro 990's I'm buying one of them tonight.. please help, if it helps my main problem is that on my monitors low bass's and 808's, don't punch through the mix clearly and in order to hear them hit the way i want i end up getting clipping, I'm tired of trying to compensate!!! please help!

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #400 of 421
  what would be better for mixing and mastering hip hop, trap and edm? I can't decide weather to buy thr pro 2900's or the beyer dt pro 990's I'm buying one of them tonight.. please help, if it helps my main problem is that on my monitors low bass's and 808's, don't punch through the mix clearly and in order to hear them hit the way i want i end up getting clipping, I'm tired of trying to compensate!!! please help!

The 2900 has a very deep and full sounding bass. If you want to hear the bass, 2900 has got the quality and quantity. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #403 of 421
These headphones have the potential to match or exceed the Audeze LCD 3 Fazor that I have, or the Adlpha Dogs, closed version.  Bass actually betters both phones, and the treble, well we know the Pro 2900 has treble as well as excellent separation and imaging.  I am running them dual entry with DHC Type 4 V2 Peptide directly to the drivers, and an 8 wire DHC Type 4 V2 Peptide SE cable to mini xlr's.  I am running them from my Denon 4800 with Burr Brown DAC, out of the speaker taps.  Amp output is 125 wpc into 8 ohms, and the sound is oh so unbelievably great, with a big wide soundstage.  This setup has totally transformed these headphones into a monster, IMO!  BTW, I also use the felt pads from the Alpha Dog "Doggie Treats", on in each earcup.  For a similar cable to mine, the Draug 2 by Norne Audio would be a cheaper, excellent cable for less!

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #404 of 421
Seems to be lots of comparisons with other models on the thread for my opinion still owning the pro 750, 900 and 2500 along with this - I find the 2900 and the 2500 to be the more balanced of the pro series line up 
When I first got the the 2500 and 900 these seemed at the time to be quite bassy headphones - now with the trend for more bass emphasis in many current headphones (AKG K545, Momentum M100, L1 etc etc etc) these have become more balanced and the some of the audiophile headphones appear quite thin in comparison (DT880 for example)
While I love the 2900 I can find minimal difference to the 2500 so if you are interested in trying the sound of these you often see the 2500 cheaper than the 2900 and they are very similar
what I have not seen mentioned much in this thread is the one downside of most Pro series Ultrasone headphones - and in particular the 2500/2900 - in that the sound is significantly impacted by the placement position on the head. If you find the sweet spot they do sound amazing but move them forward or back slightly and the sounds (bass and treble balance) change significantly - more than any other headphone i own or have owned. This can be quite frustrating when you know the sound you can get but you have to fiddle around getting the position just right to get the best out of these.
If you are after a well built good sounding set of headphones these will do the job but they are not cheap new and there are plenty of other cheaper options that sound very good 

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #405 of 421
Hi all,

I'm currently owning an iBasso DX50 and earsonics SM3 earpads. I'm thinking to take Ultrasone Pro 2900 but i have a few questions:
- what will be the difference between the SM3 and the Ultrasone Pro 2900 as the SM3 is only a earpad;
- will the DX50 be able to drive the Ultrasone Pro 2900 without a proper DAC ?

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back