Ultrasone or Audio Technica or Beyerdynamic
Jun 22, 2012 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Modulateur-75

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Sorry for my english I am french (first mistake)

I plan to buy a pair of cans that would be better than the ones I own right now. It won't be hard as these are crap :

I feel like I have to apologize... I bought this online (second mistake) and kept them (third mistake)...

Well anyway I will soon throw them away. I hate them.

Otherwise I use every day (I am a hifi addict, not a professional) the Ultimate Ears 400 that are great but I believe the audio quality may be quite better with classic closed cans that would rather stay at home by the way...

I mostly listen to music with the following equipment : Cowon D2, Iphone, Fiio E17 (great sound, wonderfull basses with the E17).

I am looking for deep basses, with a wide sound stage clear enough but not harsh... (harsh as the panasonic I own), and an acceptable isolation.

I tend to prefer colored sound to neutral ones.

When my fiio E17 is not plugged, I settle deep basses on my Cowon (not as good as the fiio). I like basses but concerning my investment I don't think I need "bassy" headphones. I would rather think I need cans that can "follow" ... I hope I am clear enough. The trick would be to buy "boom-boom" headphones.

After reading many review, I do believe I should find what I am looking for among those headphones

[size=1.7em] Ultrasone HFI 780 [/size]

[size=1.7em] Ultrasone DJ-1 Pro [/size]

[size=1.7em] Ultrasone Pro-750  [/size]

[size=1.7em] Audio Technica ATH M50[/size]

[size=1.7em] Beyerdynamic - Casque DT770[/size]

It may be the Ultrasone Pro-750... What do you think you geeks?

:)

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 7
I would also like to know how people compare Ultrasone HFI 780 against Audio Technica ATH M50. If the creator of the topic does not mind, I would also like to know how Ultrasone PRO 550 compares against these two. Thanks!

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I would also like to know how people compare Ultrasone HFI 780 against Audio Technica ATH M50. If the creator of the topic does not mind, I would also like to know how Ultrasone PRO 550 compares against these two. Thanks!

Hi, no pb for comparing one more 
smily_headphones1.gif
 !

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

HFI-780 vs. M50
Wider soundstage, but it is a very oddly shaped soundstage. The M50 has a smaller, but more natural sounding, sound stage. 
M50 has deeper bass, HFI-780's bass was more tight. On a technical level, I think the M50's bass was better textured, but I'm biased toward liking tight bass, so I preferred the HFI-780's bass.
M50 has slightly receded mids, but they were much better than the HFI-780's mids.
HFI-780 has emphasized highs, but it was just that -- emphasized. If you equalize the HFI-780's highs to be more neutral, you realize that their highs are actually pretty crappy. They're just really bright and sibilant. It's a casebook study in how NOT to do treble. Absolutely horrific to listen to for any extended period of time.
The M50s are not the most comfortable headphones in the world, but they were much more comfortable than the HFI-780. HFI-780 clamps way too hard for my tastes.

I'd go with the M50 every single time. I believe that they are the stronger technical headphone, better sounding, more comfortable headphones. The only thing I really think was better on the HFI-780 was the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back