Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Oct 9, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #482 of 541
I'm interested in the 840's. Are you using them with an amp?

I know you were asking Mad Max but I own the 840's as my portable/yardwork headphone with Alpha pads on them and I drive them with a Cayin C5 portable amp hooked to an iPod Touch.  Excellent sound - better than the V Moda M100 both for sound quality and bass and the comfort with the Alpha pads is excellent.  Stock pads on the 840 was the only weakness in my opinion. 

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #483 of 541
I know you were asking Mad Max but I own the 840's as my portable/yardwork headphone with Alpha pads on them and I drive them with a Cayin C5 portable amp hooked to an iPod Touch.  Excellent sound - better than the V Moda M100 both for sound quality and bass and the comfort with the Alpha pads is excellent.  Stock pads on the 840 was the only weakness in my opinion. 

Thanks. The alpha pads look really nice. I assume worth getting for the 840's. I actually tried the V Moda M-100, but the bass was too loud for my taste. Would you say the 840's have heavy or loud bass? I like good bass, but not too much as to drown out the highs.

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #484 of 541

Doesn't the alpha pads affect the sound though? My experience most of the time when you add thicker pads is a more V-shape transformation, the mids gets less thick, the sharpness of treble tend to stand out more etc. That's the reason I prefer the shallow stock pads on Q40 for example because the mids have this lovely thickness and forwardness to them. I do add a thin layer of papertowel beneath the pads, only so much so it stops the driver baffle pressuring my ear so it doesn't change the sound signature but I notice when I add too thick layer beneath the pads or when I've just stuffed the pads with that extra layer then the first few days or weeks the sound will be slightly more V-shape (brighter, less thick, less smooth) until the papertowel has been compressed.

Of course for some headphones that are overly warm/smooth that can be a good thing, the 840 for an Ultrasone seems to be relatively smooth judging from the frequency response when most of them are somewhat bright.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #487 of 541

Doesn't the alpha pads affect the sound though? My experience most of the time when you add thicker pads is a more V-shape transformation, the mids gets less thick, the sharpness of treble tend to stand out more etc. That's the reason I prefer the shallow stock pads on Q40 for example because the mids have this lovely thickness and forwardness to them. I do add a thin layer of papertowel beneath the pads, only so much so it stops the driver baffle pressuring my ear so it doesn't change the sound signature but I notice when I add too thick layer beneath the pads or when I've just stuffed the pads with that extra layer then the first few days or weeks the sound will be slightly more V-shape (brighter, less thick, less smooth) until the papertowel has been compressed.

Of course for some headphones that are overly warm/smooth that can be a good thing, the 840 for an Ultrasone seems to be relatively smooth judging from the frequency response when most of them are somewhat bright.

For the Q40, I have the HM5 pads on them, love the bass, very good mids. Each ear is different.....

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #488 of 541
Why the Performance 820 is forgotten here?
beyersmile.png

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #490 of 541
Why don't you try it and let us know? 
wink.gif

I'm interested in the 840's. Are you using them with an amp?

My modified M-Stage.

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #491 of 541
  Why don't you try it and let us know? 
wink.gif

My modified M-Stage.

I liked ultrasone dj one pro because they are somewhat revealing and bright. I still add +12db on 12KHz of treble to get them to work with my tastes, so I doubt I want to pay for something like lower tiers headphones which are smooth in general. 

I need my treble in music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back