Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Mar 13, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #511 of 541
Just changed the pads to HM5 hybrids. Huge difference, though I'm not sure it's for the better. The comfort has improved and the soundstage has improved; the sound has lost some of its texture, however. I might revert to the stock pads eventually. I'm realizing that these 880s are special in their own way, and there's no need to turn them into Grados.

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #512 of 541
Just changed the pads to HM5 hybrids. Huge difference, though I'm not sure it's for the better. The comfort has improved and the soundstage has improved; the sound has lost some of its texture, however. I might revert to the stock pads eventually. I'm realizing that these 880s are special in their own way, and there's no need to turn them into Grados.

What do you mean by turn them into Grados?...

Grados have intimate to non-existent soundstage and their distortion rates are pretty bad. They also lack bass entirely from what I remember. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #514 of 541

What do you mean by turn them into Grados?...

Grados have intimate to non-existent soundstage and their distortion rates are pretty bad. They also lack bass entirely from what I remember. 

You're right; not Grados. Grados have midrange.

The midrange on the 880s disappears with the HM5s.

With the HM5s one's basically trading better comfort and a wider soundstage for the loss of some of the isolation, more pronounced, piercing-er (?) highs, and a recessed midrange.

Ruins the all-rounder quality of the 880s, in my book.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #515 of 541
  Darn, only after a few months of usage - the piece on one of the ears that holds it to the headband broke off randomly ;(. Any suggestions on how to fix it? 

Maybe it can be glued back together. 

You're right; not Grados. Grados have midrange.

The midrange on the 880s disappears with the HM5s.

With the HM5s one's basically trading better comfort and a wider soundstage for the loss of some of the isolation, more pronounced, piercing-er (?) highs, and a recessed midrange.

Ruins the all-rounder quality of the 880s, in my book.

Ah, that makes sense! 

This is what I imagined would happen if you add larger / deeper pads 
biggrin.gif

To be honest, I don't know whether it is for the better or for worse, having changed the depth of sound on Ultrasone in special, some stationary parasitic waves might be induced to the mix and this might affect sound. Not sure how it would work with Per880 since I didn't hear a pair at all and there's not a single display model in Romania for me to hear 
frown.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #516 of 541

Maybe it can be glued back together. 

It does seem like it probably can be glued, but honestly this is the biggest flaw with the headset. The rest is made of a great and sturdy quality materials. That single connector is an utter piece of crap. Honestly its surprising that for such an (relatively) expensive headset, they would skimp on something like that.

Also the fact that the cable connector is a relatively propriatery 2.5mm connector instead of a normal 3.5mm one. 

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #517 of 541
Hi,

I have the Signature Pro and am very very happy with this headphone ! The most natural sound that I ever experimented with Ultrasone.
I tried in the past the 880, but was annoyed by the bass, and the mids were a little special, not as natural and warm than the 840.

I'm very interesting in buying the 860. But I heard that highs are agressive sounding, with painfull sibilances, while other people are claming that it has a very clean frequency response. How do they compare face to Signature Pro please ? And where is the pic in the highs ? 7Khz or 10-12Khz (like Signature Pro) ?

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #518 of 541
Hi,

I have the Signature Pro and am very very happy with this headphone ! The most natural sound that I ever experimented with Ultrasone.
I tried in the past the 880, but was annoyed by the bass, and the mids were a little special, not as natural and warm than the 840.

I'm very interesting in buying the 860. But I heard that highs are agressive sounding, with painfull sibilances, while other people are claming that it has a very clean frequency response. How do they compare face to Signature Pro please ? And where is the pic in the highs ? 7Khz or 10-12Khz (like Signature Pro) ?

If you already have Signature Pro, you're closer to the top, it should be better than the Performance series. I don't think 860 is too bright, but everyone has their own personal preference

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #519 of 541
So I just took a punt and ordered the 880 at $377 usd. I was looking for a high(ish) tier closed portable, as my th900, Aeon closed, and Cascade are all a bit too bulky and heavy for portability. I've seen mostly positive impressions, and seeing they're comparable to hd700, I thought I'd take a chance. I personally thought the hd700 had a weird chunk of frequency missing in the upper mids, and the treble did grate a little, although the open nature impressed with soundstage and air.
Will post impressions of 880 soon.
Any other owners want to weigh in?

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #520 of 541
So I just took a punt and ordered the 880 at $377 usd. I was looking for a high(ish) tier closed portable, as my th900, Aeon closed, and Cascade are all a bit too bulky and heavy for portability. I've seen mostly positive impressions, and seeing they're comparable to hd700, I thought I'd take a chance. I personally thought the hd700 had a weird chunk of frequency missing in the upper mids, and the treble did grate a little, although the open nature impressed with soundstage and air.
Will post impressions of 880 soon.
Any other owners want to weigh in?

They sound great, but to be honest - i would *not* buy them again, for the following reasons:
a) *attrociously* bad build quality/decisions. Considering they have added some "swivel" to the earpads - there is a rather large amount of force applied to it. Well - every single piece holding the cans to the headband is just thin plastic and if it breaks? You are SOOL.
b) While there is the changeable cable - it is not a standard 3.5 mm but some relatively unacessible 2.5mm jack - incredibly annoying and defeats the point of easily changeable cables.

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #521 of 541
They sound great, but to be honest - i would *not* buy them again, for the following reasons:
a) *attrociously* bad build quality/decisions. Considering they have added some "swivel" to the earpads - there is a rather large amount of force applied to it. Well - every single piece holding the cans to the headband is just thin plastic and if it breaks? You are SOOL.
b) While there is the changeable cable - it is not a standard 3.5 mm but some relatively unacessible 2.5mm jack - incredibly annoying and defeats the point of easily changeable cables.
Thanks for your input. I've yet to hear of any headphone where there haven't been at least a few people voicing criticism about build. For me, I treat my stuff very carefully. As long as they're of an adequate build I'll be happy. I'd prefer they be comfortable, light and portable with an acceptable build, rather than something like the Cascade, which are an awesome build, but too bulky and heavy.

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #522 of 541
Thanks for your input. I've yet to hear of any headphone where there haven't been at least a few people voicing criticism about build. For me, I treat my stuff very carefully. As long as they're of an adequate build I'll be happy. I'd prefer they be comfortable, light and portable with an acceptable build, rather than something like the Cascade, which are an awesome build, but too bulky and heavy.

I had a few portables, usually you need to take care with all your portables :)

As for 880, seems to be an awesome headphone. I haven't heard it in particular, but I heard a ton of Ultrasone Headphones and they all sounded pretty awesome :)

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #523 of 541
I had a few portables, usually you need to take care with all your portables :)

As for 880, seems to be an awesome headphone. I haven't heard it in particular, but I heard a ton of Ultrasone Headphones and they all sounded pretty awesome :)
I've heard a few of the high end Ultrasone's, which I thought weren't worth their price, but I like their lower cost cans., in particular the Signature Studio, and DJ 1Pro, which I own. Like I said, I'm very careful , almost OCD, about my gear, and I've never had any equipment break on me build wise, except a DT1770, which had a faulty driver out of the box. Fingers crossed on this one.

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #524 of 541
I've heard a few of the high end Ultrasone's, which I thought weren't worth their price, but I like their lower cost cans., in particular the Signature Studio, and DJ 1Pro, which I own. Like I said, I'm very careful , almost OCD, about my gear, and I've never had any equipment break on me build wise, except a DT1770, which had a faulty driver out of the box. Fingers crossed on this one.

In that case they should be fine for you. I would have loved the headphones, but that single piece holding the can to the band just killed it for me. If it was a few grams heavier and that (and only that) part made of some form of metal or something of the sort - these would be one of my favourite cans even with the cable issue.
But even with relatively casual use, they disintigrated. I tried even gluing them together, but that was not any help due to the amount of force going on that specific point due to the makeup of the cans, but if you are careful - and i don' t doubt you are way more careful than me - you will love em :).
Meanwhile i moved to the vmoda wireless 2 - while heavier - they are built like a tank.

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #525 of 541
In that case they should be fine for you. I would have loved the headphones, but that single piece holding the can to the band just killed it for me. If it was a few grams heavier and that (and only that) part made of some form of metal or something of the sort - these would be one of my favourite cans even with the cable issue.
But even with relatively casual use, they disintigrated. I tried even gluing them together, but that was not any help due to the amount of force going on that specific point due to the makeup of the cans, but if you are careful - and i don' t doubt you are way more careful than me - you will love em :).
Meanwhile i moved to the vmoda wireless 2 - while heavier - they are built like a tank.
VModa are renowned for great build, but most of their models sound like ass. I like what I heard of the CFW2, and I'm considering the codex version, but like you said, they're fairly heavy for a portable (320 grams?).
I've scanned through this thread briefly, and can't see any other criticisms re: build of the 880. For me the reported w signature (preferable than v shaped for me), reduced price, and ergonomics tipped me over the edge. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back