Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Nov 28, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #496 of 541
  I already have the Ultrasone HFI-2400, HFI-550 & PRO 550 is the 840 a better choice for EDM music ?

Now that is a complicated question. 

If you're looking for an upgrade, probably no. If you're looking for a side grade or an alternative, maybe, depending on what signature you are looking for. 

I found that Ultrasone Dj one pro was the best all rounder.

840 has some kinky dips in it's FR and I would recommend avoiding it unless looking for that exact signature. It will sound kinky. 

@hekeli  did a measurement and 840 are really perverse when it comes to their signature (this means that they have a really weird one, of their own)

This doesn't mean that they sound bad, but unique, and you should be aware of it/. They are not bad for EDM, but if you want an upgrade, there is Signature DJ or Signature Pro series. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #498 of 541
  What do you think about the beyer T51P (they are the same price as the 840) ???

840 is worth a try, nevertheless.  Be sure to run it in, though, as it is rather dark and muffled in sound when brand new.

T51p  Has a completely different sound.  More and better controlled bass, but a downgrade in every other way.  Tiny portable headphones also give an impression of "listening through a keyhole" compared to full-sized headphones.  T51p isolates a little better, and its compact size makes it more convenient for use as a portable headphone than most Ultrasones.

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #499 of 541

840 is worth a try, nevertheless.  Be sure to run it in, though, as it is rather dark and muffled in sound when brand new.

T51p  Has a completely different sound.  More and better controlled bass, but a downgrade in every other way.  Tiny portable headphones also give an impression of "listening through a keyhole" compared to full-sized headphones.  T51p isolates a little better, and its compact size makes it more convenient for use as a portable headphone than most Ultrasones.

LOL - listening through a keyhole. 

Please don't hold it against me if I use this in the future - brilliant way of putting things! 

The only small headphone that doesn't give this sensation are Grado in general, but their soundstage begins with the higher end models... 

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #500 of 541

LOL - listening through a keyhole. 

Please don't hold it against me if I use this in the future - brilliant way of putting things! 

The only small headphone that doesn't give this sensation are Grado in general, but their soundstage begins with the higher end models... 

Probably because Grados aren't that small.
And I got that descriptor from a friend, lol.

Now that I think about it, Burson's old marketing drivel included some crap about chip opamps being "like listening to your music through a keyhole".  (and now they're selling chip opamps themselves these days, oh hohohoho)

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #503 of 541

For 120$ this is probably a very good deal. 

In this price range most things that sound good are in ears, not full headphones. 

One last question (I hope...), Do I need amp for the 840 ?

probaly not since it is only 32 ohms...

And it bothers me why there are so little reviews about the 840 (and also about the 860 & 880)

I didn't found any "normal" review and most of the information I have is from this thread...!

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #504 of 541
  One last question (I hope...), Do I need amp for the 840 ?

probaly not since it is only 32 ohms...

And it bothers me why there are so little reviews about the 840 (and also about the 860 & 880)

I didn't found any "normal" review and most of the information I have is from this thread...!

There is not a lot of info on any Ultrasone headphones for that matter, which is amazing since their sound quality is very good! 

No Ultrasone headphone really needs an amp, it would mostly be used to flavor the sound. Ultrasone in general scales very well with source, a tighter source / brighter source will sound as such with Ultrasone headphones, so buying a better source will probably help but is not mandatory. 

They sound awesome from a phone if you like the signature. 

BTW, I never used Ultrasone without some EQ. My settings are quite simple: Just bump up the treble (last two sliders usually) in any EQ by 2-4-8 DB and lower all the other sliders by 2-4 DB. But this is because I really look for this type of sound. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #505 of 541
http://www.tech-review.de/include.php?path=content/articles.php&contentid=16489&page=5

(translated from Germany to English)

On the bottom of the Conclusion:

"For bass fans a bit too little power in deeper bass areas"

I am still on the fence...

Lately even think to buy HFI-580 instead of the Pro 840

What do you think ???

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #506 of 541
I'm looking to upgrade from the HFi-580. I love the bass of the 580, but I'm looking for an improvement in comfort and more refinement in the mids and highs.

I can get the Pro 900i or the Performance 840 for roughly the same price. Is one of these clearly better for someone who loves the 580? My amps are Dragonfly Red and Vali 2.

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #507 of 541
Hi guys, anyone tried to replace 880 Earpads to Velours ones? How its made and how effects sound?

As i understand it holds on two sided duct tape so not reusable?

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #508 of 541
Hi guys, anyone tried to replace 880 Earpads to Velours ones? How its made and how effects sound?

As i understand it holds on two sided duct tape so not reusable?

I don't have the 880 so I'm not sure how the velours are, but the 840 pads are reuseable. The sticky backing they have seem to stay sticky for a long time. I've had my pads off and on multiple times since I got my 840s and I think I bought the headphones a month or so after they were released, so the stickiness has kept for quite awhile.

The only problem I have with my pads now are that the pleather on the inside is starting to flake and peel off. I sometimes find black crap on/around my ears after using the headphones, lol.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #510 of 541
Is there any trick to remove them, or just pull till they come off?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, just pull em off. I was scared when I first did it, but you'll see how easy it is afterwards.

One thing to keep in mind when putting them back on is to avoid getting the sticky backing on the piece of felt that covers one of the driver holes. (Again, I have the 840, so I'm not sure if the 880s have the same black felt as mine do.) I pulled the ear pads off my 840s one day, and one of them pulled off a layer of the black felt that was on the driver hole. It didn't do any harm, but its just something to beware of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back