Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Jan 20, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #466 of 541
OK, I just slapped a pair of HM5 hybrids on these, and I am happy to report that this is a match made in heaven.

The pads are exactly the right size and shape, I couldn't stretch them over the cups though, so I ended up using a little bit of adhesive. Comfort significantly improved (driver no longer touches on the ear) and the impact on the sound signature appears minimal. Perhaps it takes a bit of the edge off the treble, and the presentation appear to be a touch smoother, which may be a positive or a negative, but in any case it's not a big change.

http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/headphone-pad-hybrid

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #467 of 541
I must say though, I hated using the adhesive, and I think it's a bit ridiculous that they decided to use adhesive to keep the pads on a model that is *supposed to be encouraging pad swapping* given that they included an alternate pair. The adhesive on the back of the stock is already weakening after taking them on and off a couple of time - if (for some unforseen reason) I decide to go back to stock I'd probably need to use more adhesive...

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #469 of 541
Anyone had time to compare?

I plan to sell my Ultrasone dj one pro and get 880, anyone has any idea if 880 would be a good upgrade? I want better clarity, more treble, more bass, and most important, at least the same soundstage. If the soundstage is not the same size, I think I am better off getting signature dj directly. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #471 of 541
HM5 pad pairing seems like a good idea. How does the sub bass react to the HM5 pads?

Just ordered a couple of pairs to test it out. How'd you get the HM5s on there?

At first I tried to stretch it over the cup, but that proved useless. The only other option was to use a little bit of adhesive. I didn't like doing it, but it worked well and ever since I put it on I had no trouble with it.

Before I decided to go with the HM5 hybrids I compared them to the stock and the sound was very similar. If anything, I think the HM5 have a better seal, which helps with slightly better sub bass. But it's hard to answer because ever since I mounted the HM5s I didn't listen with the stock again.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #472 of 541
Another option is MrSpeakers Alpha pads - I stretched them over the cup and comfort and isolation is amazing.............as is the bass, on my 840's. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #473 of 541
Ultrasone needs to make a 50mm titantium plated driver that is not electronically limited, with the same soundstage, tuning, and instrument separation as the pro 900, but with the energetic exciting forward vibe of the HFI Line, and the comfort/lightness of their new models.  Make a headphone like that.  Oh, and remove the sibilance.  S-logic and ultrasone sound sig is fantastic, but for the real bassheads even the PRO900 with a strong dac amp and an extra 20dB eq on the bass still sounds like a 10" woofer.  Only a 50mm driver gives the true sound of a 12" subwoofer.   Make us bassheads a real basshead headphone.  50mm ultrasone sig titantium drivers with s-logic.  :wink:

Your (basically) talking about the Edition 9. Recently bought this - it combines the crazy bass of the pro series with the forward sig of the 780. It's actually the same design as the 780. It is really smooth in the highs, the smoothest of any ultrasone I've tried (almost too smooth for me - no sibilance), plus the midrange is a good deal more forward. It sounds like the Ultrasone house sound, but just tweaked for smoother sound and more mids, but keeping a bombastic bass. It's really enjoyable, just pure fun.

I agree they should go all out and make us a titanium plated 50 mm driver. I love the pro 900 and I agree the 780 is nice at the price. I think the E9 is probably closest to what you are asking for from above, but it's very, very expensive. Ultrasone makes the best, most fun bassy headphones - to my ears. They have my favorite sound signature. I would love them to focus on a real basshead 50 mm titanium that's actually somewhat affordable. For now though, the pro 900 is our can and if you're crazy (like me), possibly the edition 9. I think the edition 9 is a 40 mm titanium driver.

The problem is probably the market - how many out there will spend big on a basshead type can? Would the market be big enough for them where it's worth their investment?

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #476 of 541
These things have a heck of a clamp near the top of my head.  Fortunately, the backbone of the headband is malleable steel, so it can be bent to comfort.

However, given how the headband is somewhat assembled in a similar fashion to Sennheiser's HD280pro, I recommend you do this:

Remove the headband pad.  Its shape holds it in place, so there's no adhesive to struggle against.  Just pull it out starting at one end.

Then carefully wedge out the right channel cable.  **Cups must be inserted all the way up in the headband before you do this.**  You wouldn't want to end up accidentally stretching this part when bending the headband and get channel imbalance.  I just used a fingernail.  Once loose, pull it out from the sides carefully.  There's some loose amount of cabling inside, otherwise you'd bork it when adjusting the headband to your head.

Now you should bend the headband to comfort.  When you're done, pull the cups out to reset the cable position, push back into the groove, and put the headband pad back on.

As fun as this headphone is, I ended up reaching for my Senn HD8DJ more instead; also fun with thumpy, boosted subbass like the 840, but overall a little bit "higher-fi".  HD8 has better isolation, too.  840 wins out in treble/midrange balance to my ears, but I have other modified headphones that do that quite well already.  Now I want to seehear 860 and 880.  I see 860 has gold-plated drivers like the HFI2400 I tried out a few years ago.  Now you guys have got me piqued on 780 and 750 as well.  Dangit, like I need to lengthen my headphones-to-try list any further, hahaha.

840 vs m50x ? how do they compare? 

Unmodified M50x sucks, in my opinion.  840, among many others, is an upgrade in sound.  But you need to try Ultrasones in person, though.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #477 of 541
I see 860 has gold-plated drivers like the HFI2400 I tried out a few years ago. Now you guys have got me piqued on 780 and 750 as well. Dangit, like I need to lengthen my headphones-to-try list any further, hahaha.

I'd recommend giving the 680 a whirl, closed backs and also gold plated. Fantastic things without that recessed midrange of the 2500/2900 ( and what I understand to be the same on the 750 since it is basically a closed 2500 )

Got a spare they are so good.
Discontinued now, for some reason. I think that is a mistake unless they replaced them in anticipation of the 860.
Check a couple recent posts in the Ultrasone Roll Call thread, and their own dedicated threads also.

BTW THANKS for the info on the gold plated 860 though how much better it would be from these can't really be that much(?). Impressions from people on the new ones look like a bit of a downgrade in comparison... odd

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #478 of 541
I'd recommend giving the 680 a whirl, closed backs and also gold plated. Fantastic things without that recessed midrange of the 2500/2900

Yup, the 680's are awesome.

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #479 of 541
I can get the Ultrasone 840 for $189 on amazon in europe, to buy or not to buy hmm.... I've tried the Signature DJs but thought the highs were a bit too sharp for my tastes and well going by FR response measurement on goldenears these looks more smooth sounding (more well behaved 8~10kHz which really got me with the Signature DJs):

840:

Signature DJ:

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #480 of 541
840 is non-fatiguing and very balanced in the midrange and treble, to my ears.  Hopefully you will like it if you decide to try it.
Edit: i should mention, burn-in mandatory.  It is dark and muffled without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back