Ultrasone IQ
Nov 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #46 of 163
300 seems a lot for a single BA but if it sounds like some other single BA IEM than it is justified, however no matter how good it sounds no one will buy a single BA at 549 USD.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #47 of 163
300 seems a lot for a single BA but if it sounds like some other single BA IEM than it is justified, however no matter how good it sounds no one will buy a single BA at 549 USD.

I recently listened to my old Etymotic ER6i, and it was pretty good! the sound signature and everything really enjoyed it, didn't really care if it didn't have too much bass, im all rounder thesedays. So definately matter how they produce the sound and probably the quality of the BA? if there is such a thing

oh yeah. The IQ price is now $949. Looks like there were alot of takers for $599 and $699 price points.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #48 of 163
Quote:
I recently listened to my old Etymotic ER6i, and it was pretty good! the sound signature and everything really enjoyed it, didn't really care if it didn't have too much bass, im all rounder thesedays. So definately matter how they produce the sound and probably the quality of the BA? if there is such a thing
oh yeah. The IQ price is now $949. Looks like there were alot of takers for $599 and $699 price points.

Who knows why the sudden price reduction and increase, ultrasone has its full time supporter.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #49 of 163
Who knows why the sudden price reduction and increase, ultrasone has its full time supporter.

As per A2A, it was for the click frenzy and only while stock lasts, the price points of $599/$699 was extremely enticing for a product that wasn't released too long ago. And quiet possibly won't be reduced to these lows for sometime... Maybe until boxing day sales.

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #50 of 163
Quote:
As per A2A, it was for the click frenzy and only while stock lasts, the price points of $599/$699 was extremely enticing for a product that wasn't released too long ago. And quiet possibly won't be reduced to these lows for sometime... Maybe until boxing day sales.

We dont really have cyber monday or black friday in Australia. If addictedaudio did that for their US customer good for them, as far as my experience goes with them I was never able to make a single purchase with them as they simply do not like negotiation. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #51 of 163
Being listening to the Ultrasone IQ. The sound signature is something I have never heard before.. All this time it has been a wide soundstage with BA in-ear and my Turbine is dynamic but doesnt deliver what the IQ does, this adds depth, and the separation is very well done. I've only listened to it for just under 4 hours. So I hope the sound does change even more.. because the Treble currently is really annoying, It is like what others have said V shape. Maybe need to adjust to this sound over time... Treble is not really that clear and hot, it is annoyingly sibilant and cool. Need to go through probably more music types to get an overall idea, this isn't gonna make everything sound good.

I've put this through my Meier Corda 3Move, and my Portable rig, the tip makes a big difference, using the mid-flat silicone tip. 3Move sounds, the soundstage is probably even better than the Pro 900.

Fit is okay, due to the width and my ear canal it sticks out abit, but okay.. had to employ insert and twist (similar to Westone 4R). The cable does swirl (like the UE900), so it can be abit fiddly to put on.

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #52 of 163
Quote:
Being listening to the Ultrasone IQ. The sound signature is something I have never heard before.. All this time it has been a wide soundstage with BA in-ear and my Turbine is dynamic but doesnt deliver what the IQ does, this adds depth, and the separation is very well done. I've only listened to it for just under 4 hours. So I hope the sound does change even more.. because the Treble currently is really annoying, It is like what others have said V shape. Maybe need to adjust to this sound over time... Treble is not really that clear and hot, it is annoyingly sibilant and cool. Need to go through probably more music types to get an overall idea, this isn't gonna make everything sound good.
I've put this through my Meier Corda 3Move, and my Portable rig, the tip makes a big difference, using the mid-flat silicone tip. 3Move sounds, the soundstage is probably even better than the Pro 900.
Fit is okay, due to the width and my ear canal it sticks out abit, but okay.. had to employ insert and twist (similar to Westone 4R). The cable does swirl (like the UE900), so it can be abit fiddly to put on.

Unfortunately, the edgy (some may say hot), but definitely sibilant treble really never goes away :frowning2:  I love the lows and mids on them though :)  Too bad I'm sending them back this week...  Swivel cable like the UE900 and Shure models...  It's a little stiffer than the UE900 cable though.

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #53 of 163
oright, it has been about 2-3 weeks... The sound signature is what i call pretty good, it has settled somewhat from the wild first couple of hours. The bass and mids are wonderful (not Pro 900 wonderful thou)... the separation is of depth and not too much of width. When you hear a detail it'll be of a pretty low volume which perceived as not too micro detail focused. The vocal is the center piece, is in its own space.

The only issue i have is, when i listen to the IQs at a volume where i can hear them when the "veil" is lifted and it becomes more clearer, When I take them off, i can't even hear my colleagues talking to me clearly.. thus i fear that it is pushing a significant amount of SPL in my ear, as the bass is exceptionally powerful / impactful and textured. And i can't really listen to them for like a long time (30 mins probably max), My hearing recovers after a while (1-2 hours), im not entirely sure whats going on, maybe i have an infection somewhere.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #54 of 163
I thought these looked very interesting but when I hear things like very sibilant I know I wont like them, even if its not that bad I can't stand very bright highs because it just takes away from the mids which is the heart of music.  Anyways I would'd spend $800 on that IEM, the only IEM that I'd spend a ridiculous amount of money on is the TG334 because that's seems like the perfect mid-centric IEM with the kind of highs and soundstage I like.

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #55 of 163
I recently bought a pair of these, and this is the story as far as I am concerned. Experience base goes from Etymotic's, through the Shure 535's and IE8's (Although I suspect my IE8's are knock off).

I went to a high end store where they would let me listen as they had spare tips etc etc, and paid £595. They are the IQ9 model. I saw them and thought that an Ultrasone IEM might be interesting so I had a predisposition to wanting to like them. I listened to some Ultrasone over ears in the same store a few weeks before, and wasn't impressed by the sound, but was by the build quality, I can't remember what they were, magnetic planar things that came in special editions with fancy titanium swirls and stuff, came in a wooden box about as big as a tea chest. So even though I had a poor experience with the brand, for some reason, and reading some reviews on here an IEM offering from them peaked my interest.

I brought my C4 to the shop with me so I could hear them through what would be my main source. I plugged them in at the shop and after about 30 seconds took them out and told they guy that there was no bass whatsoever and I really wasn't interested, as much as I wanted to like them, my ears told me no. I have pretty big ear canals it seems. He suggested that the lack of Bass was that I didn't have a perfect seal and scurried off to find some fatter tips which he did. As soon as I got the correct seal I handed him my plastic. There was a lot of Bass there, but totally non existent without the seal, and I have noticed that even the slightest hint of a gap and the amazing bass vanishes.

Then I got them home and spent some more time with them. I considered taking them back but circumstance would dictate that I had to travel so I just took them with me and hoped that playing around with different tips and positions to get a seal would improve what was a bit of an unsettled sound really. It was almost as if they simply couldn't process quickly enough, they seemed not to be keeping up with the music although there was suggestion that these things could be something special at times. It was quite confusing, but I persevered.

Then they just got better and better and better and better. At first the bass was just plain lazy and sloppy, but certain tracks would sound good, they were really inconsistent for at least 100 hours I would say. The details were there but not separating enough, the sound stage was there, and sometimes it was massive for IEM's and sometimes it tightened up so much that it made me think that these were a waste of time and a waste of money.

Now they seem to have settled into what I consider to be the best IEM that I have ever heard, I haven't heard that many though so please bear that in mind.

I find the detail to be amazing, and the sound stage even better, this was really brought home more when I used them with my Mac Air only for watching a TV Series (House of Cards)...all of a sudden, as it was not swamped by music, the sound stage became clearly apparent with sounds coming from where they were laid down in the track, really impressive stuff straight out of a Mac.

They do have an amazing sound stage for music also in my opinion, although it did take some time for this to fully settle. Now the instrument separation and the details are simply incredible to my ears, and the bass is lovely.

I would describe them as Ultra refined. Amazing to hear how they completely change when I change the EQ on my Colorfly, really responding to the different demands.

I don't get a massive feeling of a warm sound, they seem more technical than that, they seem to achieve many things, but tiring they are not, there is still a certain amount of reservation if you like, they don't punch any one frequency above others in my opinion, they are so very very balanced.

Incredible to listen to stringed instruments, and as mentioned they almost take away from the visuals when using them for audio from a video, they are that impressive. To be honest I kind of have an admission and a comparison. This is my second go round with House of Cards, first time I watched it on my top shelf surround sound kit at home, to be totally honest the sound coming straight out of my mac into these was much more detailed, you could really hear the separation more, exactly what the recording engineer was up to, it was interesting and ridiculously detailed.

Maybe people will say that of course this is the case with all IEM's, I don't know, but they are very different to my Shure 535's, another league I would say.

Kind of glad I had to travel now and didn't take them back.

Maybe it just my Dumbo ears, but the fit really really works for me. 

They are beautifully built, there is no questioning that, the build quality is the best I have seen or felt for IEM's, like little tanks.

I find the cable and the way they have coated the bit to bend around your ear to be ultra comfortable, after a while it just sits in the perfect shape, they hook on and press in very quickly and with minimum fuss.

I am not very experienced with IEMS's, but I really really like these and genuinely think that they are worth the money. In my opinion the sound quality is beautiful, I have them in right now, and they still blow me away. Very happy with them, although the relationship got off to a rocky start. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #57 of 163
I might give the IQ a test run. My (hybrid) triple-flange tips immediately knocked down the treble of a new SM64. I wonder how those triple-flange tips would effect the IQ.

With the IQ being the same nozzle size (2.5mm) as the SE535 and SM64, I won't have the problem that prevents me from getting the TG!334 (with 5.5mm nozzle). With the pricing, Ultrasone is obviously very proud of this earphone, perhaps I'll find out why.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #58 of 163
Quote:
I might give the IQ a test run. My (hybrid) triple-flange tips immediately knocked down the treble of a new SM64. I wonder how those triple-flange tips would effect the IQ.

With the IQ being the same nozzle size (2.5mm) as the SE535 and SM64, I won't have the problem that prevents me from getting the TG!334 (with 5.5mm nozzle). With the pricing, Ultrasone is obviously very proud of this earphone, perhaps I'll find out why.

Have fun :p  The IQ has a nice fun, V-shaped signature :wink: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back