Ultrasone Interview with D.Sc. Florian M. Koenig
Oct 30, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #31 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well in that case, better safe than sorry...
wink.gif

Some studies have shown that magnetic emissions can be beneficial to your health. Yes I know it sounds ridiculous, but now you have a complete circle and it draws you a blank as to what's better.

My question: With due respect, some of us have found many interesting qualities in a Proline 2500, especially in the price range that it is offered - but due to the design of the headphone those qualities get outweighed by the treble characteristic, which has proven to be useful for studio use, but highly irritating for hi-fi users. Taking my understanding that Edition 9 was released with the target at home listeners, as was hfi700, why is there no corresponding model to the sound of Proline 2500, since by all parameter save the treble it could prove as a very popular and pleasant competitor for the status of headphone of choice under $500.

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #32 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is true. There are lot's of health care practitioners who use magnetic therapy to treat everything from arthritis, to bone growth stimulation, to .....

I suggest that this is not a good argument since x-rays are used as well and I know they can be deadly. Why else use lead shielding?

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #33 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest that this is not a good argument since x-rays are used as well and I know they can be deadly. Why else use lead shielding?

I hear what you say, but if we follow that line of reasoning, there is nothing on the planet that is not deadly, if misused or abused, including water.

I personally am ok with Ultrasone using MuMetal as a baffle upon which they mount their driver. I've added Dynamat to dampen what little resonance there is in the baffle and am perfectly content with the results.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #34 of 122
I think the question concerning the thinking behind MU-Shielding and other stuff is reasonable and I will ask it for sure.

Anyhow, I would prefer however if we could either leave the topic now in this thread or open up a new thread on this issue.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #35 of 122
I get the feeling that all the questions asked so far are nice and valid...but the wording is something we need to work on folks!

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #36 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get the feeling that all the questions asked so far are nice and valid...but the wording is something we need to work on folks!

I will do so and make a proposal.

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #37 of 122
I have tried to figure out the questions up to now. Since I am not a native speaker I would be happy if somebody could read it through:

More questions are welcome!

Opening Questions:
Dr. Koenig could you tell us a little bit about your biography and how and why you started to develop headphones?
Could you tell us a little bit more about the actual founding of Ultrasone, beside the official internet page information?

Contrastique:
What are the exact construction differences between the ed9 and Proline 750.
The specs seem quite comparable but it is often stated that the sound (and the price) is totally different.

Additional questions regarding this topic:
> “Earpads and head pad are made of soft genuine Ethiopian hair sheep leather in dark grey” How huge is the influence on the sound? During the 2006 visit a the Munich High End one person at the Ultrasone booth told me that the quality of the earpads is quite important.
> Edition 9: 40 mm titanium-plated Mylar drivers and PROline 750 Driver 40 mm titanium-plated
Is there any difference in the drivers since you talk of Mylar drivers concerning the Edition 9.

HeadphoneAddict:
I am the current owner of the Ultrasone HFI700DVD headphones you previously autographed for head-fi. I really enjoy the sound of these headphones very much, but I was disappointed with my iCans that I bought for portable use. I would like to know, if I ever feel the need to buy another pair of headphones from Ultrasone in the furture, what model would be a noticable or a significant upgrade to these HFI700DVD. I would not want to buy another set and be disappointed again, or discover that I already own better headphones.
(Owns: Sennheiser HD600 cryo treated moon audio black dragon cables, Shure E500PTH, Denon AH-C700)

Ericj:
Dr. Koenig, I am a naturally skeptical person, thus I am curious about your reports of radiation in headphones. A good friend of mine works with superconducting electromagnets with fields strong enough to pull ferrous metal objects from several feet away and send them flying through the air at great speed. He works with these magnets every day. It's his job. I can assure you that he has no magnet-related health problems. The gauss levels in headphones must be vanishingly small. Especially as so much is done to focus the field. If a field strong enough to pull a metal bracket off a shelf 20 feet away from the magnet doesn't hurt my friend who is fully immersed in the field for several hours a week, what kind of health benefit could a little bit of shielding in front of a tiny dynamic driver possibly offer? Could you comment on this?

Cankin:
Is there the possibility to organize a factory tour for forum members?

Richter Di:
There is some speculation how S-Logic actually works. Could you describe this a little more in detail?

Perhaps related question:
Why are the small holes in the baffle at the inner circle of the drive unit complete but at the outside only at the lower half?

Hifi Forum in General:
Especially in the German Hifi Forum most member who have possessed Ultrasones and became not fans afterwards stated that they disliked the fact that the Ultrasones sounded like a loudness equalizer would have been used. Could you comment on this?

Additional question regarding this topic: On your internet page one can find “S-Logic™ Natural Surround Sound allows an up to 40% lower dB output (3-4 dB) for the same loudness sensation. This may significantly reduce the risk of hearing damage while ensuring hours of fatigue-free listening - an absolute must if you spend a lot of time in headphones.”
How does this work? Are there certain frequencies which are lifted through the S-Logic?

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #39 of 122
Some of those questions have been previously answered by him, doing a search first will give some of those answers...I have posted some of the answers he personally gave me to some of those, and others have been he answered IIRC some of them in that 2006 international meeting...anyway ot ask again will not harm, and this way we will ahve them organized here in just one thread....

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #40 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of those questions have been previously answered by him, doing a search first will give some of those answers...I have posted some of the answers he personally gave me to some of those, and others have been he answered IIRC some of them in that 2006 international meeting...anyway ot ask again will not harm, and this way we will ahve them organized here in just one thread....

Would you mind to send me links to your posts?

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #41 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richter Di /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you mind to send me links to your posts?

The information is all along the Ultrasone big thread, it is not like a Q&A style, that will be great ot have, but unfortunatelly it was gottren a little here and a little there, so it iwill be a little harder to find right now, unless you want to read the 100+ pages there...but if you do a search there, you will find it. For example the drivers are exactly alike, just tuned differently, the ports in back are covered in a different way, the differences between the 750 and edition 9 was posted recently in another thread by me personally, even with pictures, from some headfi threads, and based on the info I got from him, and from Evan at Ultrasone in USA (themick here)...etc...some of that info was posted also by themick the ultrasone rep here in differnt threads...but again ot ask them will take a minute and to answer them will be even shorter for him...so go ahead....

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #42 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postal_Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why did you give Monday Night Football those less than attractive hfi700's, Hook em up with some Prolines or E9's.
icon10.gif

They actually love the way the gold looks on the talent when they're one tv. It stands out so much against all the other plain, black headsets everyone else uses. Plus its easier to build a mic into the HFI series than the PROline. But hey, if they wanted to buy Edition 9 headsets, we would be more than happy to sell them to them
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #44 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, one more question

which headphones does Florian use??

Hmmm...

We do know he isn't using my HFI700DVD anymore, even if his name is scribbled all over them
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back