Ultrasone Interview with D.Sc. Florian M. Koenig
Oct 29, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #16 of 122
Oct 30, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #17 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a question where some people seem to be struggling with:
The exact builddiffer between the ed9 and Proline 750. The specs are quite the same but the sound and price is totally different.
This subject has been talked about in the past including anwers but for some it might be nice to have an official answer to that question.

Anyways, I think it's a nice gesture so thanx in advance!

x2 on differences between Ed.9 and PROline 750. thanks.

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #18 of 122
OK, now I'm going to be impolite: silly argument, guys. The guy can ask his question however he wants, and the person transmitting it will undoubtedly phrase it however he wants. It wouldn't hurt the good Dr to have an accusation hurled at him, I'm sure, and if he's any kind of quality human, he'll be able to handle it without a babysitter. Geez.

I'd prefer to hear the answer from the person who made the claim, not from his bodyguards on the forum.

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #19 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eric,
I don't think any of us take issue with *what* you say, it's *how* you say it. I'm curious too, why Ultrasone has decided to make a marketing issue of EMF radiation and shielding from same. Maybe they were just looking for a marketing niche to get their foot in the door, so to speak. If that's the case, I personally, think their *S-Logic* positioning of the driver is a more marketable scheme, but who knows. Generally, the European community has been more cautious about EMI/RFI exposure to humans, than the US. Maybe there's something tied up in that.

I apologize - I have a bit of personal rage regarding what i feel is an increasing trend of conjecture and speculation over science & logic. I can usually ignore it when it comes to wild claims about audiophilia, but i have a hard time suppressing my reaction to what looks like a campaign of fear, uncertainty, and doubt intended to make a few bucks off of human insecurity and ignorance.

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #21 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's not just an absurd claim, he should be able to explain in detail how much and what kind of radiation exists in a headphone, and how the mu-metal works to shield us from it.

Edit: And i really can't think of a way to phrase the question that doesn't somehow express my total disbelief regarding the mu-metal claims. I mean, even if i said something like "Can you go into detail about mu-metal shielding; e.g. hard numbers, peer reviewed research, etc?" It still sounds like I'm calling bullshiat, because i am.

I'll leave it alone now. I don't expect that the question will be asked, and i don't expect that it will receive a substantive answer if it is.

If you do a search you will find this info in some documents he had published on the subject in the website and on his website...IMO if something is harmful to you, and you find a way of reducing it 98% of that value, what is the harm in doing that? BTW they are not charging you extra for that, it is just a bonus they gave you. FYI and from their website, of course there should be a lot of more info that we will not even understand, but we can ask him, but respectfully, he is a professional with 15 years of experience and reserach in that field:

ULE-technology / PROline:

PROline stands for Ultra Low Emission (ULE-technology) and offers a reduction up to 98% by using MU Metal. ULE also means significant benefits for professional users as it is highly-developed and specially designed for professionals.

ULTRASONE´s ULE-technology (PROline series) offers the lowest radiation of low frequency fields. Medical research has shown that magnetic field emissions can be hazardous to your health. The average magnetic field emission of headphones (without LE or ULE) is more than four times the maximum recommended levels. As ULTRASONE´s philosophy is not only based on perfect sound but also on protecting your health we managed to develop a revolutionary MU-metal-shielding method. This patented and certified ULE-technology can significantly reduce risky magnetic field emissions up to 98%!

The ULE-technology is recommended by Technical Surveillance Organisations and Consumer Advice Centers with certified lowest magnetic field emissions.

Unfortunately guidelines for low-frequency magnetic emissions for headphones are still pending. Nevertheless, it is on one´s own responsibility to always minimize risks of damaging your health.

Electro Mag:

Some more information about electro magnetic radiation:

Electronic equipment emits low/high frequency magnetic/electric radiation, which is also called Electro-Mag. Electro-Mag is assumed to be harmful to our health. This is proved by medical research all over the world.

In order to protect health of people working within an electrically surrounded environment, clear limits about the maximum radiation emissions have been occasionally defined. For example in the TCO '99 for the allowed magnetic emission of computer screens, in a distance of 30 cm, a maximum of 200 nT (nanoteslas) is the upper recommended limit.

Recommendations for the low-frequency magnetic emissions in case of headsets and headphones are still pending or are not really in the focus of importance yet. This is quite surprising as every user is carrying this very emissive equipment directly on his head! Nevertheless, we note a rapidly increasing demand for shielded headphones and headsets.

Within a research of 60 current headsets (1999 - 2000) ULTRASONE found out, that the average magnetic field emission of headsets is more than 1000 nT with a peak maximum of 2100 nT - on average. This is more than four times the maximum, recommended for computer screens in TCO '99;in irresponsible cases even more than ten times the maximum!

The developed and patented PROline technology from ULTRASONE brings magnetic field emissions of headsets and headphones down to less than 90 nT.
If you'd like to voice your opinion or talk about the introduction of recommendations for the reduction of Electro-Mag, send us your experience or opinion: mail@ultrasone.com

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #22 of 122
Why did you give Monday Night Football those less than attractive hfi700's, Hook em up with some Prolines or E9's.
icon10.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #23 of 122
Quote:

I apologize - I have a bit of personal rage regarding what i feel is an increasing trend of conjecture and speculation over science & logic. I can usually ignore it when it comes to wild claims about audiophilia, but i have a hard time suppressing my reaction to what looks like a campaign of fear, uncertainty, and doubt intended to make a few bucks off of human insecurity and ignorance.

There is not intent IMO in making any buck out of human ignorance here, it is not that they have this model without, and another Mu-Metal version of the same heapdhone for $50.00 more. BTW the ones with, are intended to be use for people that use them for long time daily, Audio Professionals...

So they are simply not charging you extra for the Mu Metal, or its use, or its benefits (or not) nor the documents he pubished, studies, etc...they charge you for those heapdhones the same price or less than what other manufacturers that do not offer that protection do...So what is the beef? I do not get it...Some other models they sell, do not have the Mu-Metal plate...if you feel that is a rip off, just get the others, or get a Grado, or a Senn, or a Beyer...

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #24 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdarnton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, now I'm going to be impolite: silly argument, guys. The guy can ask his question however he wants, and the person transmitting it will undoubtedly phrase it however he wants. It wouldn't hurt the good Dr to have an accusation hurled at him, I'm sure, and if he's any kind of quality human, he'll be able to handle it without a babysitter. Geez.

I'd prefer to hear the answer from the person who made the claim, not from his bodyguards on the forum.

Yeah, let's hurl an accusation or two at the good doctor and then ask him for a factory tour.
blink.gif

If we (Head-Fi) are any kind of quality community, we'll show proper respect towards others and leave them with a good impression of our community.

Nah, on second thought, let's just let everyone know what a bunch of conceited arrogant pricks we are.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
We don't respect nobody for nutin. Impressive!

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #26 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Medical research has shown that magnetic field emissions can be hazardous to your health.

Medical research has also shown that magnetic field emissions can't be hazardous to your health. Just depends which studies you prefer.

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #27 of 122
Quote:

Medical research has also shown that magnetic field emissions can't be hazardous to your health. Just depends which studies you prefer.

Well in that case, better safe than sorry...
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #28 of 122
Quote:

This is true. There are lot's of health care practitioners who use magnetic therapy to treat everything from arthritis, to bone growth stimulation, to .....

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #29 of 122
Quote:

That's perfectly understandable Eric. Glad we could talk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back