Ultrasone hfi-780 vs hfi-2400
Mar 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #46 of 60

Quote:
yeah lol 
beyersmile.png
 But I tried the HFI-580, and thought they were comfortable........ :)

durational comfort is the problem here

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #47 of 60
Hi guys, sorry for the late reply-

I like the fact that Dolby Headphone gets the sound out of your head, but I don't like the impact on sound quality.
Does S-Logic+ do that? 

EDIT: LOL- sound out of sound

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #48 of 60

Quote:
Hi guys, sorry for the late reply-

I like the fact that Dolby Headphone gets the sound out of your sound, but I don't like the impact on sound quality.
Does S-Logic+ do that? 

S-Logic tends to be a rather polarizing feature of Ultrasone headphones, usually making it a love or hate affair. I stand on the love side, and don't find any real issues with S-Logic. It should also be noted that I have strong feelings against any surround virtualization techs currently availble, such as CMSS-3D and DH, as I find them to give audio an overal artificial tone, yet S-Logic doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Apr 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #49 of 60
Does S-logic+ get the sound out of your head though? That's the main reason why I like Dolby Headphone. (along with the fact that it makes it less "stereo") Does S-logic help the sound in the latter and former fashion? Also, are there any other headphones that have the qualities mentioned before without surrround software?

Apr 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #50 of 60
I think you're confusing things. S-Logic isn't software, it's a hardware feature. There is a bit more openness to the sound when compared to other closed headphones, but it's not outlandish.

S-Logic is exclusive to Ultrasone, and if you're looking for headphones that will give you the impression you're listening more to speakers than you are to headphones, then you might want to start looking into open headphones. The HFI-2400 would be a better option for that, rather than the closed HFI-780. If you can stretch your budget further, the Ultrasone Pro 2900 would be a great option, being quite an improvement over the HFI-2400, yet still below flagship levels.

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #51 of 60
It doesn't seem like he's confusing them.  You'll want an M-Stage for HFI2400, so it's actually more expensive that it initially seems.  Yeah, very 3D surround sound without software DSPs.  The quality of your source will affect just how 3D it sounds.

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #52 of 60

Quote:
It doesn't seem like he's confusing them.  You'll want an M-Stage for HFI2400, so it's actually more expensive that it initially seems.  Yeah, very 3D surround sound without software DSPs.  The quality of your source will affect just how 3D it sounds.

Do you think that an ASUS Xonar STX would be enough to power the HFI 2400?

Also, does S-Logic+ make the sound less "stereo?" That's one of the main reasons for my liking of Dolby Headphone. If not, I might end up getting a Denon D2000 with J$ pads and using them with dolby headphone as I originally planned.

Arrgh, and to think I thought choosing between monitors was hard!
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #54 of 60
I've read a few people say that STX is okay with K70x, no clue if true, but if it is, then it should be fine with HFI2400.
Why not upgrade to a better source and amplifier?  Keep using Dolby HP with Foobar if you like it so much.  There's a plugin just for it.  I tried it out and I think that it is... interesting.  Not my cup of tea, though.

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #55 of 60
Well, the reason I want to get a Xonar STX is because I have a $150 best buy rewards card.

But my main question is: How effective IS S-Logic in making the sound speaker-like and less "stereo?" That's the main reason why I'm considering the Ulrasone.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #56 of 60
Reading this thread with interest.
I have the 780's, like them, and have been
considering the 2400's.  

Because it's time for a new open headphone and
I've listened to a lot of the 'usual suspects' in and around
this price range = about $225.

I'm really looking for something to complement my
AKG 702's, something with just a bit more oomph
in the bottom; and my DT880 which I love except 
for their less than stellar sound stage.

So I'm wondering if the 2400's can bridge that gap
at a relatively reasonable price.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #57 of 60
2400 can't compare to K701 at soundstaging in the least.  Very airy, at least, and plenty more "oomph" in the low end.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #58 of 60

Quote:
2400 can't compare to K701 at soundstaging in the least.  Very airy, at least, and plenty more "oomph" in the low end.

Thanks for that input.

With plenty of air, and more bottom than the 70x, they continue to seem attractive at street price
even if they can't match the soundstage of the AKG's.

Actually, that description could also apply to the DT880's...

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #59 of 60
Hey guys!

I am selling my HFI 2400... http://www.head-fi.org/t/605733/ultrasone-hfi-2400#post_8312162

Check it out! I am selling them for a great price. I am buying the Pro 750 instead because I need closed headphones.....:) Send me a PM if you are interested.

May 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

Yes, they can't, because 2400's are much better at it.  I have Q701 and Hfi2400, and HFi2400 have much more realistic and accurate soundstage. Q701 in my opinion have a pretty bad soundstage, by far the worst of the open headphones in 300-500$ range (in comparison to dt880/990 ,hd600/650 and ath-ad900).  

Yes, its big, or rather, wide, but its unrealistic. It has no forward depth or height. It has no central image. Imaging is average at the very best. Even the closed K550's image better than Q701's or K701's.  Sounds always seem like they're coming only from left and right, not from the middle. Even my 100$ HD438's have a better central image than Q701's.

On some recording that fault is very obvious, for example, Georgia on my mind by Ray Charles.  With Hfi2400's, Ray is in dead centre. I can feel him in front of me when closing my eyes, its so realistic. Piano slightly to the right, strings slightly to the left, back vocals to the far left, all so precisely imaged that I can point my finger at their position.  With Q701's, they both seem to come from far far left and right. And vocal is not in front of me, it feels like it is in my head instead.  That's the problem with Q701's.  They image for crap in music (for their price and reputation), they only have a very wide soundstage which might be impressive at first, but has serious faults.

And thats with very good DAC and a tube amp that is a match made in heaven for Q701's.

HFi2400's have proper sound stage with precise directional feel and proper central image. It might not be quite as big as on the Q701's, but its still big. What matters is its accuracy and imaging, which is better even than on the HD650's.  In many recordings I can close my eyes and literally point to each and every instrument and vocal on the stage. I can tell "ok, this singer is standing slightly to the left of this singer" and so on.  With Q701's, that's not possible.   Also,  when listening to HFi2400's for a while, and then going back to Q701's,  AKG's seem dull, flat, and very "short" sounding, like the sound is a flat, very wide 2D rectangle, instead of being a 3D cube, if you know what I mean. For me, after getting used to Hfi2400's,  I can't listen to Q701's anymore.
IMHO 2400's are better headphones than Q701 or K701/2 in every single way, for every genre of music, and are probably the most underrated headphones in that price range.  Q701's beat them only in games because thats where an artificially big sound stage comes in handy for creating an illusion of big space.  Sorry if it looks like I'm dissing the Q701's, but I though they're great headphones until I got HFi2400's. Now I see that there's a reason why 2400's retail for more money than 701's. And I also see that Q701's are horribly overpriced in my country (they cost 550$), while HFi2400's are 260$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back