Ultrasone hfi-780 vs hfi-2400
Mar 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #31 of 60
Quote:
First, in response to Altair Dusk, yes, the 2900 is great, but you have to step up the ladder further yet to get the most out of them.  I don't think the e7/e9 combo sounds very good, although many love the combo, so It's just my thought.  The bass on the 2400 will do better with an amp that has full range punchy bass.  The 2900 is a step up in every way, although not much in many ways. Bass is stronger though, and just as agile. 

Not sure I understand, are you saying you don't think the e9 is up to the task of powering the 2900's?  It doesn't seem to have any issue with them, I wouldn't even dare put the volume up to half.  That said there's still a LOT I don't know so perhaps I'm missing something.

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #32 of 60
Not at all, I just don't think the e7/e9 combo sounds that good, lol, yes it will power the ultrasones louder than I could ever want, it's just I think they deserve better. Bottlom line, once you find the right mix of cans, then start upgrading the source, and then the amp.  IMO, ultrasone makes great can, especially open cans, the Pro 2900 is their best offering to date to my ears, just not enough for me to upgrade from the 2400's (for me).  I have too much going unused as it is.   Nice improvement over the Pro 2500 IMO.

However, if you are one of the few that can stop upgrading, please do.  Better for the wallet.
Quote:
Not sure I understand, are you saying you don't think the e9 is up to the task of powering the 2900's?  It doesn't seem to have any issue with them, I wouldn't even dare put the volume up to half.  That said there's still a LOT I don't know so perhaps I'm missing something.

@madmax, the 598 are pretty good, They sound very similar to the HD600, both having advantages over the other. Some feel both lack bass, but after a short while, it seems fine, they can hit pretty good when called on. If I didn't already own the 650's and 600's I would buy my own pair of 598's

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #33 of 60
Okay guys,

Compared the 2400s to the crossfade lps, and the crossfades sound much louder..... the bass is also stronger, but the 2400s have better overall detail across the spectrum. The 2400s have a more tight and pronounced bass. :)

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #34 of 60
Ok that makes more sense now, thanks for elaborating.  I am thinking of getting the e17 when the availability gets better as reviews seem to place it well ahead of the e7 for the sound.  After that going to try to hold off on more purchases for awhile, don't think I'll ever really be able to stop though.  Before this I was big into cars, still am somewhat but living in Jersey really kills any fun you might have driving and the money I normally spent on mods for my truck was redirected to headphones after I discovered Head-Fi.  Never really considered myself a basshead per se but given my taste in headphones so far I'm thinking I might be one.  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Not at all, I just don't think the e7/e9 combo sounds that good, lol, yes it will power the ultrasones louder than I could ever want, it's just I think they deserve better. Bottlom line, once you find the right mix of cans, then start upgrading the source, and then the amp.  IMO, ultrasone makes great can, especially open cans, the Pro 2900 is their best offering to date to my ears, just not enough for me to upgrade from the 2400's (for me).  I have too much going unused as it is.   Nice improvement over the Pro 2500 IMO.

However, if you are one of the few that can stop upgrading, please do.  Better for the wallet.

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #36 of 60
Mar 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #39 of 60
Haven't heard the HE300's, but I suspect also, that the 2400's and 598's would be better as far as staging, the 558's aren't quite as open sounding as the 598's or 2400's  That's the biggest difference in the 598 verses 558, the treble is also a bit more extended, that may be part of it, but then neither are as open sounding as the HD650 to me.  Finally, the HD558 is a bit more forgiving of source than the 598 or 2400.

Not sure if the Fischer would be hard to drive, but I doubt they stand up sq wise to either the 598 or 2400.  Impedence is over rated for judging how hard a can is to drive. The HE300 is suppose to be an easy drive.
The HD650 isn't that hard to drive as far as volume goes, but to get the most out of them is a different story, loudness shouldn't be the criteria used when selecting an amp, The Fiio E11 will power the HD650's louder than you could listen, but it's not a very good match IMO.  The audinst won't play them as loud, but it sounds noticeably better to me.  As I move up to a dedicated dac, and better amp, it gets even better. 

I think a good way to look at it is, 400 dollar phones=400 for source and 400 for amp, minimum.  Seems high, I know, but it's way better than upgrade after upgrade. That's just ny take, YMMV

Sorry for getting off topic

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #42 of 60
Slogic + and regular Slogic?...hmm i have 580's and they are incredible..well they have a larger soundstage than most closed and that's a pro and then..they just do everything so well, i also listen to rock a lot so 780's might be good too but i have an EQ on my E17 so it's fine..only con..well con of ultrasone in general is comfort

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #43 of 60

Quote:
Slogic + and regular Slogic?...hmm i have 580's and they are incredible..well they have a larger soundstage than most closed and that's a pro and then..they just do everything so well, i also listen to rock a lot so 780's might be good too but i have an EQ on my E17 so it's fine..only con..well con of ultrasone in general is comfort

true, but the 2400s are the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back