Ultrasone hfi-780 vs hfi-2400
Mar 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #16 of 60
No, not really, I read somewhere, a poster said the 2400's sounded good out of an ipod at full volume and dropped off quickly.  I have tried several sources, and not even an x-fi card powers these well in my opinion. The fiio E10 will drive them quite loud, but the sound isn't as good as out of the audinst MX1.  They are fairly power hungry, and scale up well with source/amplification in my opinion. The E7 sounds kind of strident with them, but not too bad.  I don't bother with budget gear anymore, other than the audinst it's all been a waste. 

I went further than your question, mostly because the 2400's are awesome cans and when I switch from another set, it takes a short while to adjust to the differences. Once that's done it is a very seductive headphone with outstanding air and ambiance. I've hooked up some expensive amp to the audinst, and it sounds very good as a dac. I hope you are in the postion to be able to get the most out of these cans.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #17 of 60

Quote:
No, not really, I read somewhere, a poster said the 2400's sounded good out of an ipod at full volume and dropped off quickly.  I have tried several sources, and not even an x-fi card powers these well in my opinion. The fiio E10 will drive them quite loud, but the sound isn't as good as out of the audinst MX1.  They are fairly power hungry, and scale up well with source/amplification in my opinion. The E7 sounds kind of strident with them, but not too bad.  I don't bother with budget gear anymore, other than the audinst it's all been a waste. 

I went further than your question, mostly because the 2400's are awesome cans and when I switch from another set, it takes a short while to adjust to the differences. Once that's done it is a very seductive headphone with outstanding air and ambiance. I've hooked up some expensive amp to the audinst, and it sounds very good as a dac. I hope you are in the postion to be able to get the most out of these cans.

I have a Fiio E6, but when I want to put them loud, it distorts..... lol.... I had the ATH-M50, and they were louder than the 2400s. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #18 of 60
Yeah, the e6 doesn't do well at all with them, are you using it from an lod?  I tested them just now, the e5, e6, and e7 all sound pretty awful near full volume with the 2400's  Back off a bit and it's not that bad.   The E9 does ok with them, but you lose some bass slam, with the E10, the bass is not as tight.

The E11, hooked from a good dac is a little bit better. One other thought, the 240's won't play quite as loud with bass heavy music without distorting as some others. It's a trade off, but I love them, when played within their limits, which none of the 5,6. or 7 will drive then to. About 3:30 on the volume knob with the audinst, the drivers struggle with deep and heavy bass driven music.  I've verified just now, that no  matter the amp, I'm hitting the limits of the drivers, but it's pretty darn loud, on non hip/hop, dance music, or similar music like rock, classic rock, pretty much any other genre they will play as loud as you can listen.

At least I hope you don't listen louder than that.

EDIT  yes, the M50's will play louder, I own them, not bad for a closed can, but I only listen to open these days.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #19 of 60
I recommend that you at least use an M-Stage or Lovely Cube with HFI2400.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #21 of 60

Quote:
Yeah, the e6 doesn't do well at all with them, are you using it from an lod?  I tested them just now, the e5, e6, and e7 all sound pretty awful near full volume with the 2400's  Back off a bit and it's not that bad.   The E9 does ok with them, but you lose some bass slam, with the E10, the bass is not as tight.

The E11, hooked from a good dac is a little bit better. One other thought, the 240's won't play quite as loud with bass heavy music without distorting as some others. It's a trade off, but I love them, when played within their limits, which none of the 5,6. or 7 will drive then to. About 3:30 on the volume knob with the audinst, the drivers struggle with deep and heavy bass driven music.  I've verified just now, that no  matter the amp, I'm hitting the limits of the drivers, but it's pretty darn loud, on non hip/hop, dance music, or similar music like rock, classic rock, pretty much any other genre they will play as loud as you can listen.

At least I hope you don't listen louder than that.

EDIT  yes, the M50's will play louder, I own them, not bad for a closed can, but I only listen to open these days.

I play them with an lod. Do the M50s play louder because they have a lower impedance than the hfi-2400s?

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #22 of 60
It plays louder because it is lower impedance and higher sensitivity than 2400.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #23 of 60

Quote:
It plays louder because it is lower impedance and higher sensitivity than 2400.

Okay..... Do you think the HFI 2400 has better sound quality than the M50s? My M50s broke and now it's hard to compare them..... lol 
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #24 of 60
Well, it gets compared to DT1350/T50p and HD25-1.  If its on their "tier", then HFI2400 is a total upgrade, higher-end headphone, I say.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #25 of 60
I agree that for music listning the 2400's are a clear step up from the M50's.  The M50's sound pretty good, but not much soundstage, and much detail is lost.  Even the Denon cans to my ears don't surpass the 2400's except the D7000, which in my opinion is far better than the 2000 or 5000, but I think I'm in the minority there. M50's are very sensitive cans but when playing deep bass or bass driven songs, resonance rears it's ugly head. It's too much to ask from a closed phone at the price the M50's sell for to avoid.

The HD25-1 is considerably better, but twice the cost, worth it in my opinion if you want a closed can. HD25-1's are also a bit better at just about everything than the M50's 

The T50p I haven't heard but the 1350 is a good can with a dip in the upper mids, but again, once you adjust to the sound they are very good. The 1350's also won't play as loud as the M50's it's quality verses how loud they will play. The M50's just don't stand up to a better can, keep in mind, the better the can, the more important the source/amp become. I honestly could live with the 2400's over any can 200 and under.
Maybe just behind the HD598 in some ways, ahead in very few. The HD598 will not satisfy a basshead. 

In honesty, if you don't like the 2400's maybe change cans.  I have no idea what to offer you as an alternative. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #26 of 60
I don't hate the hfi 2400.... I love them! They are excellent headphones. Now I understand why they are not as loud as the M50s... All I wish is that the bass could have been a little bit deeper and a little bit more impactful. I am planning to keep them for a long time :)

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #27 of 60

Quote:
I agree that for music listning the 2400's are a clear step up from the M50's.  The M50's sound pretty good, but not much soundstage, and much detail is lost.  Even the Denon cans to my ears don't surpass the 2400's except the D7000, which in my opinion is far better than the 2000 or 5000, but I think I'm in the minority there. M50's are very sensitive cans but when playing deep bass or bass driven songs, resonance rears it's ugly head. It's too much to ask from a closed phone at the price the M50's sell for to avoid.

The HD25-1 is considerably better, but twice the cost, worth it in my opinion if you want a closed can. HD25-1's are also a bit better at just about everything than the M50's 

The T50p I haven't heard but the 1350 is a good can with a dip in the upper mids, but again, once you adjust to the sound they are very good. The 1350's also won't play as loud as the M50's it's quality verses how loud they will play. The M50's just don't stand up to a better can, keep in mind, the better the can, the more important the source/amp become. I honestly could live with the 2400's over any can 200 and under.
Maybe just behind the HD598 in some ways, ahead in very few. The HD598 will not satisfy a basshead. 

In honesty, if you don't like the 2400's maybe change cans.  I have no idea what to offer you as an alternative. 

Oh ya one more thing....My brother says the Beats Studio are much better headphones than the Ultrasone HFi 2400...... Do you think this is true? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #28 of 60
I've only heard the Beats briefly but I think he's completely mad.

Quote:
Oh ya one more thing....My brother says the Beats Studio are much better headphones than the Ultrasone HFi 2400...... Do you think this is true? 
smily_headphones1.gif

I found that compared to using them with my e7 when I got the e9 they seemed to gain more "richness" in the bass (I'm not quite sure how to accurately describe it, it was a fairly subtle change).  That said, I got the PRO 2900 recently and the bass on those is absolutely glorious.

Quote:
I don't hate the hfi 2400.... I love them! They are excellent headphones. Now I understand why they are not as loud as the M50s... All I wish is that the bass could have been a little bit deeper and a little bit more impactful. I am planning to keep them for a long time
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #29 of 60
First, in response to Altair Dusk, yes, the 2900 is great, but you have to step up the ladder further yet to get the most out of them.  I don't think the e7/e9 combo sounds very good, although many love the combo, so It's just my thought.  The bass on the 2400 will do better with an amp that has full range punchy bass.  The 2900 is a step up in every way, although not much in many ways. Bass is stronger though, and just as agile. 

Now  beats studio verses HFI2400 is a joke. The studio's have no staging and a very smeared image. Muddy sounding, bass is not articulate at all.  They have more bass, and a lower treble peak to go with the lack of mids, the louder you play them, the worse those issues stand out.  The HFI2400 does not jump out at you, it takes time to fully appreciate them, and most other good cans.  I can't tell you what sounds better to your brother in law, but in my life long journey in hifi, I've found that when something jumps out at you, (big bass, hot treble, etc) it 99+ percent of the time become bothersome over time. I've had the chance to listen to the LCD-2 a few times, and nothing jumped out at me, just great sound, maybe highs are a bit smooth. My point is your brother in law would probably prefer the studio's to the lcd's.

What your brother in law thinks, or what I think, shouldn't really matter much to you, but for the record, my opinion is the beats are a far cry from any decent can at the their price, I'd go to say most 100 dollar cans spank the beats badly, like the unused pair of denon 1001's laying in my closet. I think I mentioned it earlier, but IMO, the 2400's nip at the heels of the HD598, and maybe surpass it depending on personal taste and need for bass.

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait till his beats break.....your Ultrasones are built very sturdy, not a headband just itching to crack

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #30 of 60
So 598 is that good, eh?  I'm even more piqued now, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back