Ultrasone HFI-580 any good for first good headphone?
Aug 15, 2011 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jmarsiglio

Head-Fier
Hey everyone, it's my first post here and my first headphone purchase (soon). I'm looking for a well priced ( < $300 ) closed headphone (can be used) for listening to music on my ipod touch 2G and my computer. This means I will NOT be using an amp. Typically I listen to genres such as GOA/psycho trance, dubstep, cafe del mar + buddha bar (lounge or house?), and classical. I would deduce that I would need a headphone that is good at handling bass. I want to be using it in public as well, i.e. walking in the park or in the underground tram. Naturally, I am no audiophile and need some guidance in which headphone would be optimal for me. I think I would appreciate if the phone had a wide soundstage as well. Ask me any questions and if you have one for sale I'll consider buying it (but don't try and sell me please!).

Thanks in advance for any feedback, 
Cheers!

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 9
I think these cans fit your needs perfectly..
They are amazing and they do best for electronic..
Check Ultrasone DJ1 as well because it is the same headphone and looks cool to wear on bublic..

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 9
the 780s will be good for a lot of different genres.  i would definitely take them over the 580 especially since theyre not that much more expensive on amazon right now which is a great deal 

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 9
I absolutely love my 780's.

They're great with everything I throw at them, and work well without amping from my iphone.

They do really come alive with my iBasso D6, but even without still very impressive.

I listen to alot of industrial  and some electronic (KMFDM and VNV Nation for example) which is very bass intensive and I never feel unsatisfied.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 9
Okay, thanks again :) Last question I swear! I've narrowed it down (I hope) to the hfi 780 and the pro 750 -- what is your feedback on these and which one will suit me. I'm planning on buying the D6.

Thanks for being so patient... 

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 9
I can't speak first hand on the pro-750 but I know they are a bit harsh on the highs when they're new and take about 100  hours of burn in to settle down.

The stock earpads on the 780's are a little unconfortable , I changed them with Beyerdynamic DT220 pads, the sound signature changed a bit, they kinda absorb some of the bass now rather than containing it since they're much more plushy.

The D6 pumps out alot of power and with the topkit from hiflight it sounds even more amazing.

Personally I like to use the stock buffers with his opamps (2 x opa1611). It's got a nice good bass punch with the 780's. with his bypass buffers the bass seems a little recessed for my taste.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 9
The stock buffers are LMH5566MA and stock opamps are AD8065A. I don't know what comes with the D4 as I've never used it.

HiFlights topkit is 2 x dummy buffers and 2 x OPA1611 opamps.

To me the 1611's with the stock buffers is the perfect combo, using the dummy buffers makes it sound more neutral, with the buffers the mid bass is more emphasized, which I prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back