Ultrasone HFi 2400 review
Sep 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #46 of 52
Quote:

To be honest I don't use any of them for gaming, but if I had to pick one I'd take the DT880. I think its a better headphone than Hfi2400 in general, that is clearly audible when taking the Hfi2400 off and putting on the DT880. Smoother, more neutral sound, bigger soundstage, everything sounds more real and clear.

Which one do you use then?

Quote:
While I'm no Beyer fan, this is roughly how I felt the 2400 stacked against the K701 or MDR-SA5000 as well. For competitive games, I'm not a huge fan of the 2400 (and would preference the more accurate/crisp cans). But for kicking back and playing Fallout or Portal or whatever else, the 2400's are much more enjoyable. The bass impact and the smoothness are to their advantage. Same reason I liked the HD 580 more than the 701 or SA5000 for that kind of gameplay.
Ah. I think you might find them to your liking!
smily_headphones1.gif

Great, thanks for your answer. I actually used to own the Dt990. As derbigpr stated, I agree that it felt very airy and open, but at the same time, it also felt empty and thin at times. The gun shots in mass effect definitely were crisp, but I felt the warmth was gone from other headphones I used to own. If the hfi 2400's sound is thicker and richer, I think I would prefer that textured cinematic sound over a larger competitive soundstage. 

I have not tried the PRO 2900. Is it as clear, crisp and airy as the dt880/990, yet as fun as the pro 900? 

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:
 The bass impact and the smoothness are to their advantage.

Call me deaf, but I find DT880's slightly smoother (especially in bass and highs), as well as having more low bass impact. They just sound like a slightly technically better headphone to me, regardless of sound signature.

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #49 of 52
I took my time when deciding for my first pair of real headphones and pulled the trigger on the Ultrasone HFI 580s a coulpe of weeks ago, thanks to the HeadFi community and loads of reading...
A couple of days ago I saw the HFI 2400 at a local shop, and boy i was amazed...the bass was amazing, the sound felt so much richer...and the fact that the cable is detachable makes it even better: i had no idea how much of a hassle it would be to be walking around with the 580s huge cable, even after braiding it...
I am considering now selling the almost new 580s and getting my hands onto this ones...i was really, really impressed by their sound.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #50 of 52
Recently got my hands on these to give as a gift to my bro, but ofc I got a chance to get a good listen.

These are amazing headphones. I think derbigpr nailed my impressions in his review. I've been too used to using neutral/bright headphones since I sold off my D5k's so these were a treat. Bass has some serious impact considering these are open-back. Smooth mids and non-fatigueing treble unlike the DT990, and a lot of detail across the board. 

Sounds fantastic, I'm not sure why these aren't recommended more here on Head-Fi.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #51 of 52
I'm not sure why these aren't recommended more here on Head-Fi.

Because there's a not insubstantial portion (~30% iirc) of the (human) population with the "wrong" ear shape for S-LOGIC to properly work, and instead of getting your experience, they get a harsh/nasty mess. Ultrasone actually has done studies to confirm this.

I agree, they're very good headphones. Especially for their price. But there are people who won't ever get that experience out of an Ultrasone (and that scares a lot of people away). :xf_eek:

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #52 of 52
Just got a pair of these in..... These are somewhat difficult to describe, but at the same time very similar to as I thought they would be. 

Anyone around these parts still have one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back