Ultrasone HFi 2400 review
Apr 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

derbigpr

Headphoneus Supremus
This is my first pair of Ultrasone headphones, and I have to say, I am impressed.

Excellent pair of headphones from top to bottom, great value, some really awesome unique features, and no deal-breaking faults. I will compare them with some of my other headphones which I feel are in the same league, namely, the Sennheiser HD650 and AKG Q701.

Before I begin the review, let me just menition the equipment that I use with the headphones.
        Source:         Asus Xonar Essence ST
        Amplifiers               :  Little D ot MkV,  Pro-ject headbox SEII
All music files used are lossless.

Value:

Let me say that I've paid 180€ (260$) for these, which to me, is mindbogglingly cheap for the sound I got, especially considering that I've paid 450€ (650$) for HD650's and 350€ (450$) for Q701's. Both of those headphones are sort of a default recommendation for someone seeking an open back,  mid-high end headphone.  And I believe HFi 2400's perfectly fit into the same category, despite their much lower cost.
---- 10/10

Build and design:

These headphones are totally worthy of a "Made in Germany" tag, even though they're made in Taiwan. :)  Excellent quality plastic, very solid, covered with a layer of smooth rubber on the headband to give it a even more expensive feel.  Ears cups feature aluminum circles in the middle with a Ultrasone logo, which give the headphone a luxurious look and feel. Ear pads are very soft, and covered with a velvet material pretty much identical to that on Sennheiser HD650's.
Overall, they look and feel very expensive, much more so in person than on the pictures.  I wouldn't worry about durability either, these would probably only be scratched if dropped from the top of a 10-story building.
---- 10/10

Comfort:

Now we hit a category in which these headphones won't get a 10/10. It's not that they're uncomfortable, but they're not the most comfortable headphone in the world.  Their clamping force is quite high, especially out of the box. They're actually slightly tighter than HD650's, but with HD650's  tightness is not a problem, since they go around the ear completely.  HFi 2400's don't have as big ear pads, and they're circular, so they press on the bottom part of the ear a bit.  Ear pad foam is softer than on Q701's, but slightly stiffer than on the HD650's.
I also wear eyeglasses, but I haven't found any difficulties regarding that.
In long terms, they're a bit less comfortable than HD650's, and much less comfortable than Q701's.  They're also the heaviest of the three, but only when held in the hand. When on the head, they feel lightest, possibly because they fit so snug and they're not big, they don't stick out like AKG's or Sennheiser's.
Overall, they're comfortable, definitely among the more comfortable headphones, but they're not the best in that aspect.
---- 7.5/10

Sound quality and signature:

This is a category in which I will not cut the sound into pieces, I will just comment on the general level of quality or sound resolution that these headphones produce. Also, the score that I will give is highly personal.

Even though HFi 2400's cost considerably less than both the HD650 and Q701, their sound quality is actually on the same level. They sound as clear, crisp, impactful, detailed, controlled, well defined and "expensive“.
Their sound signature is not neutral. The mid bass is slightly boosted, and highs are slightly recessed, but not in a bad way.  Very often the term „recessed“ is used in a bad context, but in this case, its a positive thing.  There's nothing missing in the high frequency region,  it just means that the signature is on the darker side, actually remarkably similar to that of HD650's, but with some major differences that I will cover later. 

HFi 2400's are very lush and full sounding headphones, but not veiled. Smooth and non-fatiguing, but unlike HD650's, they're not slow sounding. They're fast, and very dynamic.  Changes in loudness and speed in music are easily audible, and very pleasant.  They also play very loud with any distortion. Sound always feels under control.

Music doesn't sound flat and boring, not everything is always at the same volume, there are pieces of song that get louder, more energetic, more impactful, there are pieces that pop out and make the sound more engaging and musical.  HFi 2400's are in fact one of the most fun and engaging open back headphones I've heard so far, but they achieve it without being aggressive or fatiguing. However, they are very punchy and offer lots of impact when needed. PRAT is excellent.

I like to say that there are two types of audiophiles. Those who listen to music trough their equipment, and those who listen to their equipment trough music.  HFi 2400's are definitely not meant for the latter ones. They're not the headphones to be used as a reference phone in studio or to be used for testing audio equipment, they're a headphone meant for those who enjoy listening to music that is pleasantly reproduced.
---- 9.5/10

Lows:

As I said already, lows on Hfi2400 are slightly boosted, and by lows I mean mostly the mid bass region. This gives the bass great impact, much greater than on the Q701's,  and totally comparable with HD650's. Bass is very controlled and tight, never bleeds into other frequencies. Despite being boosted, the  bass never gets overemphasized. It's another charatheristic that is often looked upon in a negative way. Just because the headphones are capable of delivering huge bass, it doesn't mean they will always deliver huge bass, with any music, even when not needed. It's not the case. When bass is needed, its delivered.   

Extension is pretty good as well. Not as good as on the Q701's, but still comparable to HD650's.  Overall, bass is very impressive for open backed headphones, with lots of impact and weight, definitely one of the best I've heard.
---- 10/10

Mids:

I've heard some people complain that mids on these headphones are recessed. Honestly, I can't disagree more. There's nothing about the mids that could be described as recessed, there's nothing missing or lacking in volume, at least not too much. I guess if you're used to very mid-range-happy headphones, you'd notice something, but I don't notice anything, and I come from headphones with forward mids.
There's nothing that would affect the sound reproduction in a negative way. Vocals are up front and sound great, especially the male ones, very similar to both Q701 and HD650's.   Overall, mids are also very smooth and lush.
---- 9/10

Highs:

Now, highs ARE slightly recessed. But as I already said, that is not a bad thing. Highs are still very crisp, and crystal clear, same as on Q701's and HD650's,  but they're lower in volume compared to the rest of the sound,  more similar to HD650's than Q701's. 
Again, there's nothing missing in the sound, there's no moments during music when you think : „Boy...I wish this part was louder and more clear“.  Everything is still perfectly audible and of high quality, its just not fatiguing, harsh or agressive, instead its smooth and polite.
Before buying the headphones, I've seen the frequency response on Headroom, and there seem to be a lot of spikes in the highs region. That had me worried, but in fact, I don't notice any of those spikes and dips. Also, there's no sibiliance with vocals, which is present in Q701's and even HD650's sometimes.  Hfi2400's are great for long listening sessions.
---- 9/10

Soundstage and imaging:

As you might already know, Ultrasone headphones are famous for their patented S-Logic technology. I'm not gonna spend any time on that, as you can read all about it on their web site.  The point is, it works, but in a different way than I expected.

I expected the soundstage to be very big, instead, its not really that big, at least most of the time.  Its definitely much smaller than on Q701's, and somewhat smaller than on HD650's,  but where it shines is imagining.  Both the Q701 and HD650 have a very „left-right“ soundstage. Sounds never seem to come from in front or from behind, always from the sides.  With Hfi2400's there's a stronger central image. Sound seems to come more from the front.  It still comes from the sides as well, but it's somewhat surrounding you. One of the effects that S-logic should create is actually a natural surround sound, and it does that to a certain extent. It's nothing jaw-dropping, but it does work.
It's kinda like a Dolby Surround sound, but without the weird and unnatural „large hall tonality“, there's no echo or funny frequency response.

However, I still find the soundstage of both Q701 and HD650 to be as competent overall.  Ultrasones come with a demo CD full of binaural recordings, specifically recorded to demonstrate the ability of S-logic,  and ironically, I felt that HD650 and Q701 sounded just as good, without having any fancy patented technology. However, in general, in music, I'd have to give an edge to Hfi 2400. In terms of imaging, positioning and illusion of space, it beats both HD650 and Q701.  In terms of sheer size of soundstage, it's a bit behind them, especially the Q701.   It's a precise soundstage on 2400's, but its closer to your head than with the other two, at least most of the time.

If I were to describe the sizes of soundstage with symbols, it would be like this, larger amount of brackets meaning better imaging and precision:

HFi 2400                              HD650                                 Q701
        ((((    O    ))))                      (((        O        )))              ((             O             ))

There were moments with HFi2400's in certain recording when certain sounds felt like they were coming from very far away though, so I guess the soundstage can expand when needed.

---- Imaging 10/10
---- Soundstage size 8.5/10

Detail and transparency:

They're very detailed headphones without being analytical.  Details are not in your face like on the Q701's,  instead they're delivered with care and certain level of intimacy, similar to HD650's. The overall level of detail is on the same level as on the HD650's and Q701's, in that there's absolutely nothing that I can hear on those two, and I cant hear on the HFi2400's. But as I said, same as with HD650's, you have to listen to hear all the micro-details, they won't be shoved up your ear canals whether you want to hear them or not.  Great for sound engineers working in studio? No.  Great for someone listening to music? Yes.
Transparency is great as well. Sound is crystal clear despite being slightly dark. They're quite revealing as well, they don't like bad recordings.
---- 9/10

Fatigue:

As far as fatigue goes, these get a big fat 10 out of 10. This is where S-logic comes into its own. I find that lack of fatigue and how headphones react to volume is the biggest advantage of that technology. I find it absolutely amazing how loud I can listen to these without discomfort. There's none of those uncomfortable eye-blinking impacts.  Music SOUNDS impactful, but it doesn't FEEL impactful on my ears.  It's quite hard to describe really, all you have to know they're much less fatiguing than any other headphone I've ever tried.

Another great thing I found is the fact that they sound great on low volumes, which is rare when it comes to headphones.  Most headphones will sound either very thin and bass light, or very boomy and unclear at low volumes.  HD650's and Q701's both lack impact and body when listened to at low volume, and when brought up to a volume level where they provide a proper impact, they get fatiguing and give lots of uncomfortable painful moments. There's none of that with Hfi2400's. 

Remember how I said that they're very similar to HD650 but with a few crucial differences? Well, these are the differences. They're the first headphones ever which actually make me reduce the volume from time to time and think about my hearing health, because there's no point of cranking them up and turning them into small speakers. They simply have enough impact on any volume level, they always sound full and crisp. Kinda like speakers. Imagine listening to big floorstanding speakers at low volume level.  Everything sounds silent, but still, everything is there and perfectly audible. You still get a nice punch from bass and nice rumble from sub-bass.
---- 10/10

Power requirement:

Not that difficult to power. About the same as HD650's and Q701's. Not as picky about amps as Q701's or HD650's.  Hfi2400 sound decent out of anything I've tried, although they scale nicely with better gear. Something like Little Dot MkV is perfectly fine for them in terms of power.  They even sound extremelly good when used directly out of a Asus Xonar ST headphone amp.

Prefered genres:

I find that they sound great with everything, but they shine at pop, rock, r'n'b, electronic, metal and hip hop. Basically, because of their bass. In those genres, I prefer them to Q701 and HD650.  Anything from Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, G'n'R's, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, U2, to Sting, Chris Rea, Joe Cocker, Michael Jackson, etc. You name it, they sound great.  They excel at older pop and disco music as well.
What about other gernes? Well they sound great with classical, jazz, acoustic, vocals, etc., they sound amazing with everything basically, but with certain genres (the ones without a lot of bass :p) they simply can't show their full potential.  
I particularly like them with live recordings.  For example, something like Eric Clapton-Unplugged sounds absolutely amazing. 

Conclusion:

These headphones really surprised me. I bought them without auditioning, as something more mid-fi, but I ended up with a proper audiophile headphone, absolutely comparable to the famous HD650's and Q701's in every way, I even prefer them to both with most music.
Are they the most natural and realistic sounding headphones? Nope. 
Are the a top choice for someone working in a studio? Nope. 
Are they for someone who loves headphones that put a smile of their face? Definitely yes.   
Are they worth the price? Yes!  Honestly, this is by far the best value audio product I've ever bought, exceeding even the value of Asus Xonar ST sound card, which I though will never be taken off the throne.  Remember,Hfi2400's come at a fraction of the price of HD650's and Q701's,  but they're in the same league in absolutely every way, beating both of those in several areas.  If I had auditioned these before buying them, and was asked how much I thought they cost, I'd say 400-500 dollars.  They're that good.

You just have to remember that they're audiophile headphones, with sound tuned to be pleasant and musical, not to be as natural and true to life as possible.

Overall, they get a 10/10 from me, and they're currently the best sounding headphones I own.

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 52
I'd have to agree with most of your results; I found them perhaps a bit bassier than you describe, but it wasn't overly offensive (not to my taste though). The fit and finish was beyond excellent for the ~$200 they go for in the States; I think they're better put together than the K701/Q701, and as good if not better than the Sennheisers. My biggest complaints were the low-end boost/high-end cut (again, this is to taste, not that they're functionally deficient), and that they tend to be somewhat clampy (but so do the HD 650s and their kin) when right out of the box. 

Good review. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 52
Nice review, derbigpr. I find that Ultrasones and Grados share the common trait of being rather polarizing headphones, people tend to either love or hate them. It should be noted that S-Logic plays a big part on the whole love/hate relationship people have with Ultrasones.

If you do enjoy the sound of open headphones and the HFI-2400 sonic characteristics please you, you might want to consider upgrading to the Pro 2900 further down the line. A rather large improvement is to be expected when going from the HFI-2400 to the Pro 2900.

Also, kudos for recognizing that the artificial tone surround virtualization techs done in software is indeed less than desirable, but some people seem to like sacrificing a natural tone over an artificially enlarged soundstage.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 52
Hey, thanks for the review. I had these suggested to me several weeks ago but never pulled the trigger. Sounds like a fun pair to own!!

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 52
I was really considering these until I saw reviews of the recessed mids because I like listening to music with female vocals and bass.  Now you are really making me reconsider.  
I will use these phones for casual gaming, music (vocal trance, hip hop, etc.), and movies.  I think these would be good all arounders as my first headphone.  

I like how you described the headphones as dynamic and musical.  I'd rather not dissect the sound of a headphone, but just sit there and enjoy the music.  Are there any other alternatives like this?

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 52

I think the HFI-2400 are a perfect all-rounder, especially if you aren't going to sit and compare them to everything else ever made (it makes their faults almost completely invisible; when I first tried them I spent a day with them and nothing else, and really didn't notice a thing I disliked about them - then the other headphones came out and I started noticing things!). 

I think they're well suited to what you've mentioned, especially movies and gaming - the bass is great. 

Alternatives that come to mind:
Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 (as mentioned in the review)
Kenwood KH-K1000 (a closed headphone)

All of ^ cost more. Roughly 2x.
Quote:
I was really considering these until I saw reviews of the recessed mids because I like listening to music with female vocals and bass.  Now you are really making me reconsider.  
I will use these phones for casual gaming, music (vocal trance, hip hop, etc.), and movies.  I think these would be good all arounders as my first headphone.  

I like how you described the headphones as dynamic and musical.  I'd rather not dissect the sound of a headphone, but just sit there and enjoy the music.  Are there any other alternatives like this?

Apr 8, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 52

Quote:
I was really considering these until I saw reviews of the recessed mids because I like listening to music with female vocals and bass. 

I honestly don't feel like anything in the mids is recessed. MAYBE, just MAYBE vocals are slightly less present if compared to Q701. But that is only because vocals on Q701 are very forward, maybe too forward in some songs.  And as obobskivich said, they shouldn't be compared to other headphones too much. They are slightly unique in their sound presentation. Some might feel its their down side, but I definitely feel its a positive thing. If one cares for absolutely, 100% realistic and natural sound, then there are not the headphones to look at.  But then again, neither are HD650's, Beyerdynamic's DT990,  any Grado, etc....but still there are loads of people who enjoy them.

I feel the mids, and sound overall on HFI2400's is very similar to HD650's, but with noticeably more dynamics and energy. They don't sound flat like HD650's.  I once said that I feel HD650's make all music artificially smooth. Well, now I feel that HFi2400's make all music sound more pleasant and "musical". 

Yes, I'd probably choose Q701's if most of my music was vocal. Their thinner and more airy sound makes them slightly better for that genre, but overall, I feel HFi2400's are the better headphones. There's nothing about them that feels wrong, which is actually the first time I felt this way about any headphone.  With HD650's I always feel like they sound great, technically, but fail when it comes to reproducing the music in a lively way. Basically, I feel they truly shine only with classical and electronic.  Q701's sound amazing technically as well, but I always feel they lack some punch with certain music, like rock or pop, and they feel too bright and sibilant with some recordings.  Now, with HFi2400's I feel they sound good with any music.
Basically, what I'm trying to say is,  HD650's and Q701's both dictated in way which music I would listen to. When I have Q701's on my head, I might feel like listening to some rock, but I don't, because I know their performance won't be great, so I choose to listen to vocal or instrumental instead. Same with HD650's.   With HFi2400's I feel like whatever I throw at them, they're a very solid performer. 
If only they were slightly more comfortable. If someone were to put HFi2400's sound into Q701's frame, and replace the headband with something softer, it would be a perfect headphone. :p

Also, I've noticed now that MSRP on these is 399$ on Headroom, which is actually more than Q701's. Which makes me wonder, why are they so cheap at the shop where I bought them...? :p

Apr 8, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 52

This. A thousand times this. 

Nothing sounds "bad" through a Sennheiser. The HFI2400 have a similarly "fun" effect on the music. Compared to the K701 I found the mids pulled back a bit, but not super dramatically - mostly I just noticed more bass (everything else I would honestly say was equal; both had big huge soundstages, great mids/treble, the HFI2400 just had more bass, lots more imho). Again, I didn't care for the extra bass (and that's why I no longer have the HFI-2400), but I can easily see how it would be appreciated by many listeners. My quick'n'dirty answer is: ask yourself if you like a lot of bass. If the answer is yes, get the HFI-2400, if the answer is no, get the 701. 

Regarding the pricing, I've seen $329.99 from Ultrasone, and picked them up from Beach for $199 around New Years (and had no issues with Beach - absolutely blown away for $199) - I've seen them dance between $199 and $250 depending on who's selling them. I'd say keep a watch out and you'll find them at a price you're okay with eventually. I don't think Ultrasone price fixes like Sennheiser and Grado, at least not yet. 
Quote:
I once said that I feel HD650's make all music artificially smooth. Well, now I feel that HFi2400's make all music sound more pleasant and "musical".   

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 52
You guys sold me.  I will look around for a good price.
I guess these headphones are fairly easy to drive at 75 ohm.  I'll use a Xonar DG for PC use and my Onkyo TXNR509 for television.

Thanks much!

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 52

Quote:
You guys sold me.  I will look around for a good price.
I guess these headphones are fairly easy to drive at 75 ohm.  I'll use a Xonar DG for PC use and my Onkyo TXNR509 for television.

Thanks much!

Not really as easy to drive as you'd think.  They need a low output impedance amp, and as far as volume goes, on all amps they're between HD650 and Q701,  HD650's being louder at same volume setting, and Q701's being slightly less loud.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 52
I have the 2400s, and IMO they are very underpriced headphones. One question..... I use them with an iPhone and a Mac, unamped... Do I absolutely need to amp them? Any help will be appreciated.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 52

Quote:
I have the 2400s, and IMO they are very underpriced headphones. One question..... I use them with an iPhone and a Mac, unamped... Do I absolutely need to amp them? Any help will be appreciated.

You'd need a DAC, its more crucial than an amp. There headphone are quite revealing and like a proper source.

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #13 of 52
I did some A-B(-C) testing between HD650 , HFi2400 and Q701.

I can honestly now say with 100% certainty that HFi's sound better than Q701's, in all genres. Even in vocals, instrumentals and classical.  Q701's just have a weird plasticky tonality to them that I haven't noticed before, especially with live recording. Its very apparent when taking Hfi's off and putting 701's on. For example, with Eric Claptons Unplugged life album, sound on HFi's is colorful, like a rainbow, and 701's sound grey and dull in comparison if that makes sense. They don't sound natural in comparison, which is actually pretty weird to me. I expected AKG's to sound more natural in comparison, but they don't. It's as if all the fun and musicality has been taken away. Its amazing how my perception of sound changed. Just a week ago I tought Q701's sounded amazing and pretty fun and dynamic. Now I can't listen to them unless there's several hours of pause between taking Hfi's off and putting Q's on.

I'm pretty sure I also prefer them to HD650's in most genres.  Lack of precise imaging and soundstage that I get with Hfi's is just too big of a loss when moving to either of the other two headphones.

One thing though that I have noticed.  Overall sound resolution is maybe a tad higher on 650's, its a slightly more refined sound, and it plays louder without distortion. HFi's get quite loose sounding at very high volumes when listening to some bass heavy music, while HD650's stay always stay tight.  I guess that's what extra 200 euros get you. :p

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #14 of 52
Interesting that you say the Hfi-2400 have a somewhat reduced treble. I haven't heard them, but all the Ultrasones I've heard so far have quite prominent treble, especially in the upper register.
Is Ultrasone changing their sound signature? The reviews of the Singature Pro also state that it has a slightly rolled off treble.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #15 of 52

Quote:
Interesting that you say the Hfi-2400 have a somewhat reduced treble. I haven't heard them, but all the Ultrasones I've heard so far have quite prominent treble, especially in the upper register.
Is Ultrasone changing their sound signature? The reviews of the Singature Pro also state that it has a slightly rolled off treble.

I think that Pro models are bright, while Hfi models are slightly warm and dark. At least I've read that somewhere, I don't know for sure. HFi2400's are the only Ultrasones I've ever tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back