Ultrasone Edition 8
Sep 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,651 of 2,099
I think it really depends on where you are, the environment, etc. I've read on this thread Ed8 users are shocked someone wore it in the streets of NYC. However, I used to wear my Ed8LEs out around Tokyo a lot and it wasn't really a problem (personally the Ed8LEs seem less flashy than the Ruth though) and it's compact enough to throw it into my satchel.

SigPros to me, due to the size and the length of the cable, seem to scream out more. And despite the ability to fold the cups, were bigger to throw into the satchel. Having said that, I had a personal preference of the SigPros SQ over the Ed8's. When talking to the manager of TImeLord (Japan's Ultrasone distributor), I told her it would have been great if they could have put in the SigPro's SQ into the Ed8's design.

My TH-900, I tried taking it out only a couple of times but due to their poor isolation, felt it was pointless taking them out so they've been staying at home.

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #1,652 of 2,099
I wear my LE around while walking the dog, and it is not the best part of town though it has improved over the years. I'd feel more at risk wearing Beats though, no one knows what an ed8 even is around here.

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #1,653 of 2,099
Regarding durability of Ed. 8s:  The earpad on one side of my Ed. 8s came off last week.  I mainly keep them either on a headphone stand or in the hardcase for the Pro series (with some space cut out to accommodate the Ed. 8's headband).  For the past few weeks, I had kept them in the included leather bag on a few weekend trips.  

I didn't think I was being particularly rough with the bag, but at some point one of the earpads came loose.  I re-attached the earpad, but it has come loose again several times after.  I'm now keeping the headphone only on my headphone stand or in the hardcase, but it's still a bit troubling.  

I would like to think that, if I asked, Ultrasone would send me a new earpad, or at least new adhesive rings.  But it doesn't give much assurance that these are truly rugged headphones capable of regular portable use.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,655 of 2,099
Are they really that fragile ? I thought these were build to last for on the go ?
Quote:
Regarding durability of Ed. 8s:  The earpad on one side of my Ed. 8s came off last week.  I mainly keep them either on a headphone stand or in the hardcase for the Pro series (with some space cut out to accommodate the Ed. 8's headband).  For the past few weeks, I had kept them in the included leather bag on a few weekend trips.  

I didn't think I was being particularly rough with the bag, but at some point one of the earpads came loose.  I re-attached the earpad, but it has come loose again several times after.  I'm now keeping the headphone only on my headphone stand or in the hardcase, but it's still a bit troubling.  

I would like to think that, if I asked, Ultrasone would send me a new earpad, or at least new adhesive rings.  But it doesn't give much assurance that these are truly rugged headphones capable of regular portable use.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #1,656 of 2,099
Quote:
I understand from reviews that Sig Pro is slightly better performance that Ed8 but the cutting edge design of the Ed8 which is the catchy part. Shinny and exclusive feel of the Ed8 keeps on catching my attention lolz..

Where are these reviews.  I love my ED8s but also interested i the Sig Pros.   Has anyone re cabled there ED8s?

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #1,657 of 2,099
Just received my Ruthenium Ed 8s and I am quite surprised by the sound these closed phones evoke! The S-Logic in conjunction with my Phonitor's crossfeed actually is a fabulous combination. The bass is everything people here have mentioned, and the sound across the board is neutral (which is my definite cup of tea).

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #1,659 of 2,099
Don't mean to advertise, but if anyone is looking for Ed. 8 Palladiums, I've decided to sell mine to fund a bass guitar.

My loss is your gain
frown.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 13, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #1,661 of 2,099
Just got my balanced amp (Little Dot MK VI+) and finally got to try out my ED8 Pd in balanced configuration (being fed from Wyred 4 Sound DAC also balanced). All I have to say is WOW. Whoever said these things don't need proper amplification are talking about their *****. The Ed 8s pair quite poorly with my work setup (Fubar IV+). They worked decently with my old amp (Little Dot MK IV SE) but they absolutely shine with my new amp. So much so that on my old amp, I actually preferred my D5000. But on this new setup, there's just no comparison. I finally know why these things cost what they do. All thoughts of me selling these things are out the window.

Just to give you an idea, just about everything has improved. Biggest noticeable change are bigger imaging, more tight, controlled bass (no more having to turn my head to get bass), and those mids. Those mids just shine; they are crystal clear. Yet treble is not harsh at all. Basically these sound so good that I don't even know why I bothered converting some of my other cans for balanced (like my SR225's).

In any case, yeah. Get a balanced amp and DAC. Then get balanced conversion (so weird that these 2 concepts, completely different in nature, carry the same name - I think someone made a mistake when they named them balanced headphones - should've been something like "discrete headphones" - anyway). It's the only way to get these cans out of their shell.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #1,663 of 2,099
Quote:
This may have already been mentioned, but the Romeo is available for pre-order through RMC. (the pictures, however, are of the Palladium)  Of interest:

1. Detachable cable with microphone and remote, gold-plated angled 3.5 mm 4-pole plug ( length 1.2 m, OFC cable )

I wasn't previously aware of this feature.

It looks really good, imo. The best looking ED8 so far.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #1,664 of 2,099
I like the new darker colored Edition 8 and also it having a detachable cable with microphone and remote. Have read a lot on this thread and the Signature Pro thread and have decided I want to buy this new Edition 8 later when I have enough money saved up. I think will enjoy these headphones more because of it having a bigger sound stage.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #1,665 of 2,099
I have Ed8 and Stax Lambda circa 1990 which I run off an old Mac receiver and a Peachtree iNova. Ed8 has great bass and soundstage and very good noise isolation. I love the Ultrasones and will keep them. I agree with several comments that good amps help. A lot. If you have a good amp or are going to get one, go for the Ed8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back