Ultrasone Edition 8
Sep 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #1,141 of 2,099
I have to ask due to the very glowing review on the Thunderpants in the latest head-fi video - anyone compare those against the Ed8s?  I haven't really paid attention to these but apparently these could be competitive?  Not seeing any comparisons in this thread, and in the main Thunderpants thread find someone who does prefer them to the Ed8s, but that's not terribly surprising as some just don't like the Ed8s much.  

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,142 of 2,099
From my extended listening of a friend's pair, the Ed 8 is a sonic superior, although not by much. The Thunderpants have this smoother, creamier, more polite nature compared to the slightly more brittle temper of the Ed 8s. This is really evident in the bass and treble presentation.
While the Thunderpants have a smooth, even, warm bass, the Ed 8 comes out with a more forceful, slightly (just slightly) more grainy bass. Not grainy as in low-def, but with more texture, grit and kick.
For the treble, as Jude mentioned, the Thunderpants eschew the fine details for the smoother ride -- for example, violins sound lush and clear. On the other hand, the Ed 8 bring out the more agressive nature of the bowing strokes. The 8s bring bring out the subtle overtones slightly better; while the detail is there on the Thunderpants, one has to look a lot harder.
Both are VERY musical with great soundstaging, just different flavors.
I'd describe the Thunderpants as high-mid-end while the Ed 8s are low-hi-end. Just for reference, the LCD2/HE6 would count has mid-high-end in that system.

The Thunderpants are an excellent value, compared to the Ed 8. But IMO, not its sonic (or functional) superior. I struggle to call the Thunderpants true "high-end" because of the diffused treble, while the Ed 8s perform admirably there too.

Btw, can someone answer my question about the Ed 8 bag please? :) thanks

JB

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,143 of 2,099
Thanks for that detailed comparison, JoonBug. I was wondering the same thing as bobeau today after watching that episode. Sonic accomplishments of either headphone aside, the Edition 8's compact size, short cable, and travel bag make it a better match for portable listening if that's one's goal.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #1,144 of 2,099
Thanks for that detailed comparison, JoonBug. I was wondering the same thing as bobeau today after watching that episode. Sonic accomplishments of either headphone aside, the Edition 8's compact size, short cable, and travel bag make it a better match for portable listening if that's one's goal.

Thanks FrostyMMB! I feel most users would feel let down by the Ed 8 because it serves a very unique purpose: to be a closed all-in-one, at an astronomical price.
The Thunderpants give 90% of the sonics of the Ed8 and are half the price. Clearly better sonics per $, so many see the 8s as nothing but a ripoff.

I hate perstering you people, but could some of you kind posters address the issue with my Edition 8 bag a few comments back?

JB

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #1,145 of 2,099
Thanks JoonBug!

I just gave my bag a good feel, the leather feels consistent in thickness, I notice no flaws on the bag whatsoever and I'm pretty OCD.

EDIT:  I will say it does feels more supple toward the bottom, it is a bit stiffer around the sides where the seam meets.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #1,146 of 2,099
Thanks JoonBug!

I just gave my bag a good feel, the leather feels consistent in thickness, I notice no flaws on the bag whatsoever and I'm pretty OCD.

EDIT: I will say it does feels more supple toward the bottom, it is a bit stiffer around the sides where the seam meets.

That is exactly what I'm feeling too! The bottom (the part facing me) has this different, less stiff nature. I suppose I shouldn't worry?

Btw, do you leather treat your bag? (ie use leather cleaner and protection creame?)

JB

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #1,147 of 2,099
I don't notice any issues with my bag, but now that you mention it some leather conditioner couldn't hurt.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #1,148 of 2,099
I didn't feel the thunderpants were even close when comparing several different ones to the ed8 at a meet 6 or 8 months ago. The seemed like kind of average mid-fi closed phone. I don't remember not leiking their sound sig, just not on the same level.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #1,149 of 2,099

Quote:
.... mine's yet to be shipped.
frown.gif

I literally am having dreams about receiving e-mails that they have been shipped. It's ridiculous, I'm so anxious.

And probably a good call to condition and even seal the leather bag. I'll look into what the best treatment would be.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #1,150 of 2,099
Quote:
That is exactly what I'm feeling too! The bottom (the part facing me) has this different, less stiff nature. I suppose I shouldn't worry?

Btw, do you leather treat your bag? (ie use leather cleaner and protection creame?)

JB

I did wipe lexol over it.  It didn't seem like it really absorbed much though.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #1,151 of 2,099

Quote:
I didn't feel the thunderpants were even close when comparing several different ones to the ed8 at a meet 6 or 8 months ago. The seemed like kind of average mid-fi closed phone. I don't remember not leiking their sound sig, just not on the same level.

IMO they are on different levels, for sure, but since I'm not so enamored with the S-Logic presentation, I don't think the sound is a drastic improvement. Dallan, you seem to not like planar magnetics much?

Quote:
I literally am having dreams about receiving e-mails that they have been shipped. It's ridiculous, I'm so anxious.

And probably a good call to condition and even seal the leather bag. I'll look into what the best treatment would be.

SoundFreaq, I totally feel your pain. I emailed Erik @ RMC today, and he's looking into it.
popcorn.gif
 I'll try some furniture conditioner (stuff that came with the sofa, would that be good enough quality?) on the bag this weekend.

JB

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #1,152 of 2,099

Quote:
SoundFreaq, I totally feel your pain. I emailed Erik @ RMC today, and he's looking into it.
popcorn.gif
 I'll try some furniture conditioner (stuff that came with the sofa, would that be good enough quality?) on the bag this weekend.

JB

Please let me know if you hear anything! 

I would think furniture leather conditioner would be good. I also thought about going and talking to a specialty shoe doctor kind of place that works with leather all day long. Another source may be specialty handbag conditioners, like whatever Louis Vuitton, Coach, or Dooney & Bourke would recommend. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #1,154 of 2,099
THe LCD-2 thread is pretty enthusiastic about a product called Leather CPR.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #1,155 of 2,099

Quote:
Please let me know if you hear anything! 

I would think furniture leather conditioner would be good. I also thought about going and talking to a specialty shoe doctor kind of place that works with leather all day long. Another source may be specialty handbag conditioners, like whatever Louis Vuitton, Coach, or Dooney & Bourke would recommend. 

Erik says they'll be shipped to him next week, so I'm hoping they can come to us in that same week. We'll see.

Quote:
They are on different levels.  But here's my review: Thunderpants sound better.

Hmm, that's interesting. Would you mind going into more detail about the differences?

Quote:
THe LCD-2 thread is pretty enthusiastic about a product called Leather CPR.

Sounds interesting. Would it be worth not using my furniture cleaner/creame and instead purchasing this?

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back