Ultrasone Edition 8
May 25, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #361 of 2,099
I must say that having gotten my second pair of Edition 9s for the price that NL&S offered the E8s for, I am very satisfied.

I hope the E8s are every thing we all thought they might be for those waiting.

May 25, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #364 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So now the Edition 8 is a controlled price item, or isn't it ?

Just try to look for a better deal to try one. Any hints are welcome.

F. Lo

It does appear the Ultrasone is working toward price setting their Edition products here in the USA at MSRP values.

May 26, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #365 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Edition 8 has arrived.
smile.gif

Feel free to have a look at the first pics on the German HiFi-Forum: http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?a...6&postID=20#20
beerchug.gif

So what's your verdict ?

May 27, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #366 of 2,099
One guy who own it already and one who heard it somewhere else
He says on the other forum that the ED 8 is more balanced in all areas than ED 9 .The bass is little bit lighter and the highs are are more articulate but at the same time smooth.The sound is sophisticated like its appearance.To get the best soundstage you have to fit exactly the phone in certain point against your ears.The soundstage is wider but not so deep like ED 9,but the other guy who tested it says that the soundstage is deep, so it depends what amps you are running with it.When you have big ears you have a problem to fit the phone exactly.The other guy says that the separation of instruments and 3 D is better than ED 9.He has 200 hours on the phones and he feels they are getting better over time.The ED 9 is like a sport car and the ED 8 is like a Mercedes limousine.The result is that it is in all areas more balanced than ED 9.
edit. they say that voices on ED 8 are just great
edit.On ED 8 you can hear the air or soundstage easier and there seems to be more colour on instruments and voices.There is also the feeling of a wholeness when a orchestra is playing.

May 27, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #367 of 2,099
No comparisons to Pro 900? the soundstage sounds like S-logic versus old S-logic to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a lot for the ear comment though make it easier to stay away. I have dumbo ears though they are fine with the 750 and 900
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #369 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watching that video, it comes across as marketing hype. My first thought beyond that is, someone's going to pop the top of the Ultrasone amp, spot opamps in the signal path or a cheap wallwart and the amp will be relegated to markets that know nothing about head-fi.

Ultrasone's amplifier seems awfully small for a balanced headphone amp.

Also I think it's hilarious they think it's the first on the market to provide unbalanced, balanced input, unbalanced and balanced output. That's just terrible marketing of lies. The new standard in the entire headphone market. Just awful marketing, terrible. Well maybe they are right, the new standard of abysmal headphone marketing.

Either way, would be interesting to see what is inside, as I'm always one for understanding how an amplifier is constructed, not just it's sound.

While I think it's great Ultrasone and Sennheiser has come out with some new interesting headphones for the audiophile who wants to spend over 1K! But frankly, I still can't see what R&D and technology and improvements in the Edition 8 to truly justify the price. So for me, for headphone companies and amplifier manufacturers, their customer service has to be the best available, best it can be. To me the service is the only thing that could possibly try to justify the price paid and with this fiasco with N&L, seems Ultrasone has failed deeply and already seems, hurt themselves. For a company that is working hard on their marketing by embellishing half truths, I would have thought they been smarter than tarnishing their reputation in this fashion.

Oh well, look forward to finding out if the Edition 8 are as dissapointing as the Edition 9 was for many Head-Fiers or exceed their expectations. I hope it sounds $1000 better than my HD650s for those of you who bought them and well worth it. Good luck!

May 27, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #370 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I think it's hilarious they think it's the first on the market to provide unbalanced, balanced input, unbalanced and balanced output. That's just terrible marketing of lies. The new standard in the entire headphone market. Just awful marketing, terrible. Well maybe they are right, the new standard of abysmal headphone marketing.

I agree that the hyperbole that Ultrasone and Sennheiser uses to market their new flagship products is just ridiculous. These companies can make an empty beer can sound like a Ferrari. Step right this way folks...

May 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #373 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone's amplifier seems awfully small for a balanced headphone amp.

Yeah, my Single Power Square Wave XL and a Headroom Balanced Desktop both do that - I can use SE or Balanced input and SE or Balanced output.

May 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #374 of 2,099
Here's a tranlation from a German forum :

Quote #1: "For Edition 8: On Phonitor SPL, Auditor, V200 Lake People. Nice part. The Edition 8 has me personally very much.

I noticed: He struckturiert the sound somewhat slender than the 9th Edition The sound image alive by then her impression about the sensitivity, which also somehow just color shades of her impression are an integral part. So to say, the Edition 9 makes it all a little rough. Then, the Edition 8 I believe, after a slight advantage in the overall balance. You notice it alone already in classical music. That this music requires even as other Baßfundament good, but no excess supply or light domination. This reflects the somewhat balanced Edition 8, which then mentioned to me about music is very helpful.

Voices are also benefiting from the somewhat subtle gait.

Edition 8 The music in some way it visually appears - it has what noble, delicate in itself, the whole sound. But it is not exaggerated, no subtlety at all costs. Thank God is through his fine play on the other hand, not the kind of direct or opening direct access to the sound minimized. He remains a direct and open. A is still very open and clear insight offering space. There remains an almost real domain Ultrasone the top models.

Then I noticed that also the positioning or if you would like the focus is slightly improved. The Edition 8 clarifies the placement of instruments or performers themselves intelligible without out to crystallize. Control, I would Baßpräzision home in peace to make, this is the fair inappropriate.

As far as the first impressions that ever were possible. Because was not specifically targeted at the fair.

Preliminary Conclusions: Feingliedigerer Klang, better balance and an even course in the area look ".

Quote #2: "Balanced" than the Ed9 I see it, heights are clearly visible, less prominent bass, but very controlled and precise, all frequencies are clean and clear to hear, increase in 80 to 100 Hz and at 5 o'clock-6 o'clock kHz.
Initially wanted but not quite the bass mids and treble to match. Not only current music, including test signals below 100 Hz simply sounded "different" (yes yes ...). That has now after about 40 to 50 hours (more, I came not yet), and finally everything is "like a cast."
Initially I also felt the extension as a sounding unpleasantly sharp and totally useless, too, is gone. Probably easy adaptation on my part.
The short cable with Minklinke (both sides at the extension cord, always with adapter) leads to the Edition 8 on MP3 players or on the Mini-kitchens system. So at least on the iPod touch 2G sounds (apart from the lack of volume) are quite modest / disappointing. Was already in the Edition 9 so.
For the spatiality of this "S-Logic Plus" I can not (yet) very positive comment. The stage effect is noticeably broader than that of the Edition 9, but I find depth, focus and placement of the instruments (for now) is less successful than its predecessor (probably the downside of the larger stage). This may, however, with further import of handset and headset (each) to change.
The pressure is quite strong and the earpads sit close to my battered ears. I have to still get back constantly, so that the edges do not eingequetscht ears are still hard and the padding of any disagreeable pressure in the upper half of exercise. Will both with security and / or adapt quickly.
BTW: the position of the ears seems to be a strong influence on the perception of space to have more so than with the 9th Edition And the baffle has now in addition to the front, bottom holes clustered in the predecessor and the front and back a number of holes of different sizes.
In summary, one could very last say: Ultrasone has done its homework and actually improved, which is at the Edition 9 may be suspended: there was the sound balance, possibly resolution spatial mapping if necessary, partly depending on the convenience and taste appeal and material design."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back