Ultrasone Edition 8
Nov 8, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #2,041 of 2,099
Update on sonic differences of cup change...

From original old standard version:

To nice new wood tone version:

Next post
:)

how did you do it? Where did you get parts?

I bought the parts privately from a seller.

Th change the parts, you have to pull off the glued pads, then the screws holding the cups, then the screws holding the headband..

I like them the way they are now so I have no need for the older cups and headband..

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #2,042 of 2,099

how did you do it? Where did you get parts?

You could probably also get them from ultrasone directly. Just shoot them an email. They've been very accommodating. About as good as beyer. 

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #2,043 of 2,099
I contacted the distributor for Northeast area, in NJ (usa),
And they were very responsive to any issues.
I believe Ultrasone has much improved their service from the past..

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #2,044 of 2,099
Any news on the edition M?

Turns out this small on ear is a touch less than 30mm driver,
No thanks, although it may compete very well with other "on ear" cans..

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #2,045 of 2,099

I was able to finally compare my modded ED8 to a real ED5 unlimited,

And it turns out that my mod to replicate the ED5 was just as strong an effect as the real thing,
BUT,
The effect was different.

The mod created a more panoramic, "surround sound" effect...

Where as the real ED5 produce a different effect.
Sound is instead very similar effect of an HD800 in increasing stage.
ED8 stage is not far away, but not as large as these.

I would not put the ED5 sounstage at level of HD800,
But the ambiance or feel of the stage is like an HD800 to me.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #2,047 of 2,099
Turns out this small on ear is a touch less than 30mm driver,
No thanks, although it may compete very well with other "on ear" cans..

Thanks for the info. I'm kinda set anyway. Blew most of my spare cash on two other phones:wink:

U talkn about the ones I had?

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #2,048 of 2,099
So to be clear, the "ED5 frontal presentation mod" was posted a few page back, and consist of:

Adding a piece of sonically transparent foam from an Ultrasone Zino earpad.

In this picture, shows it is strategically placed between driver and port.

The final piece was a bit shorter, and kept toward the front.
Nothing was done inside the chamber, as it needs to be untouched for the headphone to work properly.
Only changing the cups is an alternative.

As for the sound,
Singers stay in front of you, with wide stage of instruments surrounding you..
There is no "inside your head" sound like other headphones.
There is no signature sound change either, only soundstage.

In comparison, other headphones may sound more linear in details without depth,
or hit a "flat wall" of sound, or
have less noticable spacial cues and positioning.

Unfortunately doing this mod requires removal of pads which may not reattach as secure once they are pulled off.

I was installing new pads at the time, so it was easy for me.

Also,
I am actually putting all my closed headphones up for sale soon because of personal issues, (can only have open ear models) so these special versions may also be up for sale soon.
Edit:
Refined post so re-read.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #2,049 of 2,099
Has anyone ever tried to convert the Edition 8 to a 2.5mm balance plug without full recabling from the driver side?  Because it looks to me the factory cable is already all the way split to individual L R channels and only meets to a common GND inside the molded plug.  Theoretically all it takes is just cutting off the factory plug and solder on a 2.5mm balance plug with the right connections (not hard to tell with a multimeter) and it should be done, maybe even a 15 minute job at most.

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #2,050 of 2,099
So I finally got around to re-terminate my Edition 8 with a 2.5mm TRRS plug.  I decided on a Nakamura NP-254 - no particular reason except for local availability and that it had a pre-soldered PCB board with thru-holes which makes working with it quite a bit easier.  The plug is pretty small and the cable hole opening is barely large enough for the cable but with some care it works.  Stripping the wire was probably one of the harder bit, the positive wires has some sort of fibre re-enforcement inside the plastic shielding which made it a bit of a work stripping.  After that it was smooth sailing.

Posting some pics:

Wires are colour-coded.  Ground/negative is the shielding.  You'd want to put some electrical tape around it to add some shielding.

All done.  Forgot to take picture of the inside, but I'm not opening it up again because closing it up was pretty hard work.

Balanced terminated Edition 8 in all its glory.

The Nakamura plug above the stock 3.5mm stereo plug for size reference.  

Sound testing with the Onkyo DP-X1

Sound testing with the Venturecraft Valoq.

It's actually not very difficult at all if you have a bit electronic/soldering skills, though I might suggest others not so confident in their handy work sourcing a bigger plug which would be easier to work with.  The most difficult bit for me was over-coming the fear of messing up a pair of 1200 bucks headphone. :wink:

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,052 of 2,099
It's easy - use a T5 head screw driver to loosen the two screws and lift the metal plate up carefully from the bottom end close to the ear cups, don't pull too hard or pull the whole plate off because the headband leather is sticky-taped to the plate, if you lose the tension the leather on the headband will become slack.  Underneath is two more T5 screws, give those a tighten should fix the rattling, but not too tight cos it will make the headband adjustment stiffer.  

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #2,054 of 2,099
Any news on the edition M?

I have it... It's amazing. Despite being on-ear, it totally destroyed my Oppo PM-2 in terms of sound quality and bass response. Thus, I'm selling PM-2. I'll be getting Fostex TH-X00 as full size instead. Edition 8 is also very interesting but it's been years since it came out, Ultrasone might update it in the near future so maybe I should wait for the new version.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2,055 of 2,099
Finally got around to taking my Ed8 in to be reterminated. Plug got worse and worse until I wasn't using them and now I'm so excited to get them fixed. After going back and forth with the Sigpros, I really feel that the sound quality on these is superior. Sipro guys are very vocal but head to head at meets these always come on top when rated by participants. They are also the most comfortable and versatile of my hps. So happy, just waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back