Ultrasone Edition 8
Sep 10, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2,012 of 2,099
I plan to find a retailer to hear the ed5 so I can decide if I should save up for upgrade and also how their soundstage presentation compares to my modded unit.
Hope to do so and post details..

I also decided I may sell my AT esw9LTD because I have only so much headtime,
and looking for just one all rounder,
to be done with portable use..
:)

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #2,013 of 2,099
My only issue with the ed8 is that I get static cracking some days. I can only assume it is static from maybe a ground issue, it totally comes and goes but more often there. Sometimes I can unplug and touch the plug to maybe ground it out and then plug it back and it's fine. I have had the same issue with seVeral expensive ALO plugs over the years. They were not helpful at all over there when I talked to them and I stopped buying anything there due to customer service. It could just be me though, some people carry more electricity maybe. Makes my Ed8 very limited for my use I'm afraid.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #2,014 of 2,099
My only issue with the ed8 is that I get static cracking some days. I can only assume it is static from maybe a ground issue, it totally comes and goes but more often there. Sometimes I can unplug and touch the plug to maybe ground it out and then plug it back and it's fine. I have had the same issue with seVeral expensive ALO plugs over the years. They were not helpful at all over there when I talked to them and I stopped buying anything there due to customer service. It could just be me though, some people carry more electricity maybe. Makes my Ed8 very limited for my use I'm afraid.

Never happened to mine and I use my ed8 almost daily, just FYI.

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #2,017 of 2,099
Don't think it started until after I had them for a while. Maybe a ground wire or something.

When I blew around them when clearing out dust around a vent hole,
I noticed the speaker easily move..
This tell me the drivers a super thin & more sensitive than others...
As for static, I would look into the type of wire you are using,
if you had them replaced.

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #2,018 of 2,099
When I blew around them when clearing out dust around a vent hole,
I noticed the speaker easily move..
This tell me the drivers a super thin & more sensitive than others...
As for static, I would look into the type of wire you are using,
if you had them replaced.

No. It's original. I rarely use the ed8 anymore because of it. I was going to have it fixed but it stopped for a bit. Intermittent. I should probably do a recable.

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #2,019 of 2,099
I was also considering recabling but my existing is already a nice balanced cable, yet its an old cable...
Problem is I need to find a tiny plug to fit this..

So I can only use single ended for now..
I havent seen one yet.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #2,020 of 2,099
I was also considering recabling but my existing is already a nice balanced cable, yet its an old cable...

I havent seen one yet.

It's a pretty straight forward adapter, but it's a custom made one. I think ELA makes a pretty nifty one.

https://www.facebook.com/EggLifeAudio/photos/pcb.550482768424544/550482751757879/?type=3

As long as I understand what you're hoping for. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #2,021 of 2,099
Matter years of trying to figure it out, I pushed hard on the accordion part off the plug in frustration and no static! Guess there is a short in there after all. I have been very careful since. Can't find anyone who will put on a new plug, I probably can but wouldn't want to mess it up, my sanderling is somewhat marginal.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #2,022 of 2,099
Matter years of trying to figure it out, I pushed hard on the accordion part off the plug in frustration and no static! Guess there is a short in there after all. I have been very careful since. Can't find anyone who will put on a new plug, I probably can but wouldn't want to mess it up, my sanderling is somewhat marginal.

PM me I can guide you thru installation for assured success..

Also of note,
When I changed my outer shell cups,
I noticed the sound had changed to a less livelier midrange, or a slightly more U shaped signature...

These wood tone cups have a slightly less dense material which, when tapped, produce a lower sounding tap..

Basically I have mixed opinions about the sound so far...
Wherease before I was always impress by the signature...

Looks like I may have to mod them..
:p

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #2,023 of 2,099

I havent seen one yet.

It's a pretty straight forward adapter, but it's a custom made one. I think ELA makes a pretty nifty one.

https://www.facebook.com/EggLifeAudio/photos/pcb.550482768424544/550482751757879/?type=3

As long as I understand what you're hoping for. 

Wow nice adapter!

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #2,025 of 2,099
I recently had one of the ear pads fall out, the local store is way to busy to help me.
Can one of you advise on what to do.

See picture.

Bummer! Are they under warranty? If so you can try and contact ultrasone. I say try, because Ultrasone is known to have one of the worst customer support systems of any headphone manufacturer. You can also try some double sided tape to get it to re attach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back