Ultrasone Edition 8
Apr 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,072 of 2,099
I have a mojo and will order a Ultrasone Edition 8 ex. Had the B&W p9 and the 8ex for testing at home. I liked the ultrasone more. The whole sound is cleerer. More neutral. The p9 has a heavy Bass improvement.
Any questions? I will also order the Pojo add on for the Mojo, so i can use them with Roon at home.

May 11, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #2,073 of 2,099
I have a mojo and will order a Ultrasone Edition 8 ex. Had the B&W p9 and the 8ex for testing at home. I liked the ultrasone more. The whole sound is cleerer. More neutral. The p9 has a heavy Bass improvement.
Any questions? I will also order the Pojo add on for the Mojo, so i can use them with Roon at home.

This is good to know as I was looking at the B&WP9.
I owned two ed8 and ed5.
It's true the ED5 has a slightly larger more frontal sound,
But I was very discouraged with the flat flat flat mids.
I would probably habe to burn those in for a dam year lol.
So I sold them.

The ed8 was more juicy, and the resolution is on par,
Just a different presentation.
Although I heard a "new" ed8 and it also had this more flat sound..
Ug.

So with the news of the ed8 EX,
That "should" bring the ed5 presentation combined with the livelier ed8 signature.
I hope.

Anyways, I have moved onto PM2 wich was similar level overall but needed more work with pads and modifications,

So moved on yet again to Audeze Sine, which was nice but had even more issues with pads and pad adapters, and just not at same level overall,

then the Hifiman Edition S which was also a mix bag but was much more promising than the others,
as it has a large soundstage and on par resolution,
yet it doesn't do bass solidity like ed8 and was a brighter tonality overall .

The moral of this story is, don't be fooled with the next new headphones out.

There is no need to get on the never ending carousel of changing headphones looking for the next best thing.

The ed8 will always be a top can to beat.
Yet I was looking for a smaller or less flashy portable.

I currently on the B&WP5, which also need alot work in tonality, but are the sleekest quality headphones I had..

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #2,074 of 2,099
To: Maxx134. The Ultrasone Signature Pro could be a good option for you. It's a very nice sound in a portable package that's easy to drive. They are sturdy and not flashy looking. They will look just like any old Best Buy cheap Sony to anyone looking at your, but you will know you have something very nice on your head. I own a pair. They are what I grab when I want to listen in the car or anywhere out of the house. They aren't very popular for some reason in America, so they're tough to find for a decent price. I'd say there's one caveat though, if you have big ears you might want to pass or get different pads. Mine are average and they fit in the cups, but just.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #2,076 of 2,099
The Ultrasone Signature Pro
Yeah i definitely was looking for those even before I purchased the ed8,
Buy just never happened.
I currently have both the Bowers and Wilkins P5 AND P7,
Which, by the way, theP7 is amazingly similar in sound to the ED8 here(!)
Yet it is physically slighy heavier feel and a tiny bit larger in size..

Right now I am in a phase where I am more critical about tonality in the treble, and want a more natural smoother trebles so I am sticking with paper cone drivers over the titaium.
The ED8 advantage has always been a very good with accurate treble detailing,
but a bit excessive which led me to mod them way back in this thread.
:)

May 31, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #2,078 of 2,099
Overpriced in my opinion. Used they make more sense
Agreed but you pay for what you want.
I feel the B&W P7 very similar at way less cost.

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #2,079 of 2,099
Every once in awhile I store my ED8 away and then after a few months I take them back out. Recently I purchased the ifi iDSD BL and wow! It does a great number of good things to the ED8. If you thought the bass wasn't tight enough, the treble peaked a little too much and the sound stage was too small... well, the BL fixes all these things and can charge your phone when its battery starts to run low from all the music you will want to play with it. :)

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2,080 of 2,099
I want to put in a HUGE plug for Ultrasone customer service.

The pads for my out-of-warranty Ultrasone Edition 8 Rutheniums have begun to come unglued, separating from the earpiece. I bought these used over two years ago, and I suspect they were at least two years old then.

I emailed info@ultrasone.com describing the problem and giving the serial number, and within 15 minutes, I had a response from Sabrina Kowalski of Ultrasone:

BE757B1C-974E-49DB-9954-F105856232BF.jpeg
Sabrina Kowalski, Ultrasone

She told me:

1) She would send me new “dust covers” for free. Dust covers are the name of the black cloth inside each earpiece that you see through the ear hole..they have a cardboard border with double sided tape to hold ear pad to earpiece;

2) She sent visual instructions on how to remove the old, clean the surface of adhesive, and attach the new:
0A304A64-B1D2-4326-84E2-A1D73C73A3D9.png
Ultrasone instructions: How to remove and reattach dust covers

3) Dust covers were only a temporary fix... I should really buy new ear pads, as the earpads age and become oily, compressed and detached. She gave me the U.S. distributor (Dan.millar@adamhall.com) to buy new earpads. I contacted them and bought a new pair for $165.

I attached them and the headphones perform better than before, I am sure because the new earpads are less compressed than the old.

Thank you, Ultrasone!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #2,081 of 2,099
Does anyone know if the Edition 8 Carbon has the same sound signature as the other original Edition 8 variants, i.e. ED8 Limited?

May 23, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #2,083 of 2,099
ed8ex are way less bass and more emphasize on soundstage than the regular 1 (ed8ex lack bass maybe because the stock cable, I'm still waiting for the adapter to mmcx to proove that I'm right) .

May 23, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #2,084 of 2,099
@
ed8ex are way less bass and more emphasize on soundstage than the regular 1 (ed8ex lack bass maybe because the stock cable, I'm still waiting for the adapter to mmcx to proove that I'm right) .

Let me know if the MMCX swap makes any difference. I have a Julia edition with interchangeable cables and would like to know whether it would be worth grabbing another cable.

Aug 10, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #2,085 of 2,099
finally I got the adapter I want after a long wait . Lemo connector cost me around 70$ and the modified cost is around 50$
The sound is better with upgrade cable. Got more bass (due to cable character) , the stock cable is aimed for airy sound

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back