Ultrasone Edition 8
Oct 17, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #2,026 of 2,099
Bummer! Are they under warranty? If so you can try and contact ultrasone. I say try, because Ultrasone is known to have one of the worst customer support systems of any headphone manufacturer. You can also try some double sided tape to get it to re attach.

I did try to contact Ultrasone, and they forwarded my email to the local distributor.
I dont believe there is any warranty.
I can try double side tape. Good idea.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #2,027 of 2,099
After pushing the plug part of the cable hard, i haven't had the static, as earlier reported. Probably just temp fix but i am really enjoying the Ed8 again. They are just so incredibly versatile, light and comfortable. Of course the sound signature is wonderful as well.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #2,028 of 2,099
Update on sonic differences of cup change...
From original old standard version:

To nice new wood tone version:

Next post
:)

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #2,029 of 2,099
Although it may be denied,
There IS a sonic change..
It is a less forward and less immediate presentation..
Not by much, but clearly easily noticable..

You DO NOT gain a taller or larger image,
but a more expansive sonic image due to this less forward approach.
It makes you want to raise volume a notch, wich sets you in a more immense soundfield..

At first, I was worried about detail and resolution,
But it was not the case,
as trebles where all there yet more listenable.

The most dominant part of the trebles is now way up out of the sibilance range.
I interpret this as what one would assume a headphone of wood cup would be closer to.

Also of note is the new pads...
This should also play a strong role in sonic perspective differences..

The new pads are much firmer and also slightly different in type of leather..

Right off the bat,
I would say the need to increase volume was directly because of increased ear distance with these new pads...

In fact I would also say the pads also contributed much to the overall sonic changes...

So just getting new pads alone, should change sound and increase soundstage IF you have old sunken pads..

Anyways, my conclusion at first was that I missed the old sound, more closer and immediate..

But now I realize I have more soundstage and a very natural sound without any ear fatigue of sibilance.

So, so far,
I would say it was worth changing, as least for the pad change..

Another note is that my old pads looked fine, and even felt more comfortable(!)..
BUT easily compressed which was a factor..

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #2,030 of 2,099
Bummer! Are they under warranty? If so you can try and contact ultrasone. I say try, because Ultrasone is known to have one of the worst customer support systems of any headphone manufacturer. You can also try some double sided tape to get it to re attach.

I did try to contact Ultrasone, and they forwarded my email to the local distributor.
I dont believe there is any warranty.
I can try double side tape. Good idea.

I got in touch with a distrubutor it was not difficult and you can order the new pads wich come with special adhesive tape..

I have tried a few double sided adhesive tapes in past,
But all fail due to the cup being metal.

Only one that worked for me I posted a few pages back.
It was a "soft" or "flexible" double sided tape meant for women to stick clothing onto their bodies..
:p

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2,031 of 2,099

I like to make note of just how high level the ed8 models are.
I owned a PM1 last year and these truounced them on clarity and timbre..
It is difficult to find a better portable,
But I still plan to try PMx2 & ed5 in future..

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #2,032 of 2,099
I got in touch with a distrubutor it was not difficult and you can order the new pads wich come with special adhesive tape..

I have tried a few double sided adhesive tapes in past,
But all fail due to the cup being metal.

Only one that worked for me I posted a few pages back.
It was a "soft" or "flexible" double sided tape meant for women to stick clothing onto their bodies..
tongue.gif

The double sided tape didn't work for me. 

Can you advise what the new pads cost? 

Also where can I order from. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #2,034 of 2,099
It's just become available in UK - via online, although eventually it will make one or two shops. I've not seen it physically so also wondering about comfort (with glasses), isolation and sound. I would say my E8 is not portable because of size and average isolation. Hoping the M is different.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #2,036 of 2,099
  It's just become available in UK - via online, although eventually it will make one or two shops. I've not seen it physically so also wondering about comfort (with glasses), isolation and sound. I would say my E8 is not portable because of size and average isolation. Hoping the M is different.

Well the Ed 8 was marketed as portable originally.

I'd say they are likely one of the most portable headphones in their price class (headphones not IEMs, of course). Had the opportunity to work on a few and found them surprisingly light and easily workable. Also spare parts can be had from ultrasone, even drivers. That surprised me the most.

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #2,037 of 2,099
I'd say they are likely one of the most portable headphones in their price class (headphones not IEMs, of course). Had the opportunity to work on a few and found them surprisingly light and easily workable. Also spare parts can be had from ultrasone, even drivers. That surprised me the most.

Can you verify the driver size?
Edit:
Also price class?
How much we talking about?
Thanks

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #2,038 of 2,099
Edit:
Also price class?
Thanks

Not sure off the top of my head. That headphone is long gone and fixed. But if I'd had to say, it looked like 45mm titanium coated?

Again, been awhile, but I think it was like $150~ shipped. Keep in mind that they only sell the driver not the baffle. So you'll have to cut out the driver and glue the new one in. Can be a little hairy!

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #2,039 of 2,099

Edit:

Also price class?

Thanks

Not sure off the top of my head. That headphone is long gone and fixed. But if I'd had to say, it looked like 45mm titanium coated?

Again, been awhile, but I think it was like $150~ shipped. Keep in mind that they only sell the driver not the baffle. So you'll have to cut out the driver and glue the new one in. Can be a little hairy!

Yes I know I have done it already for repairing an ed8.
I was under the impression that the edition-M was smaller so I expected a smaller driver of maybe 30mm
So if you think 45 then that is definitely good news as it may actually be a derivative of all the 40mm drivers in their models..
Anyways once it come out we will know the specs..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back