Ultrasone Edition 8 vs. Beyerdynamic T5P, anybody?
Feb 8, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:
I didn't notice much talk about the physical aspects which are important for headphones:
  1. Ultrasone Edition 8 has a snug fitting, rather short headband that I need to max out. See "Ultrasone CEO Michael Willberg" with Ultrasone Edition 8 Ruthenium and pictures in http://www.headfonia.com/ultrasone-edition-8/. beyerdynamic T 5 p has a more normal full size head band with length to fit an even larger head than mine
  2. The cups of Ultrasone Edition 8 are mounted with ball points with limited movability (angles measured in degrees are small). The cups of beyerdynamic T 5 p has better movability around both axis, especially around the horisontal axis. This is important for some head shapes
  3. The Ultrasone Edition 8 earpads have rather small holes as described by Tyll Hertsens,while at HeadRoom: "while the earpieces are small and you have to tuck your ears into them". The cup depth are sufficient for my ears, but not the size of the hole. I must tuck as well. Protruding, funnel shaped ears may be an advantage. See pictures in http://www.headfonia.com/ultrasone-edition-8/. beyerdynamic T 5 p has good and sufficient cup depth for my ears and the holes are larger and more normal for full size headphones. My ears probably have normal size, but are placed parallell to the side of my head, and hence are the complete opposite of protruding ears
  4. The Ultrasone Edition 8 is (very) compact and light, especially for a headphone in this price range. beyerdynamic T 5 p is more normal, but there are larger full size headphones
  5. I don't believe Ultrasone Edition 8 is as robust as Ken Rockwell writes
  6. The cups of Ultrasone Edition 8 are made of plastic which is shown in the video below from 2:27 onwards

Point by point 1.-6.:
1. I wear 60cm size hats, - fit is just perfect.
2. Possibly - in my case Ed 8 sit more securely on my head. I would advise to try them before you buy. T5P are comfortable, but do not stay put as well as Ed 8 do.
3. Perfect for my ears; YMMV
4. And it is most welcome! Try wearing both, - I do, and I have a slight preference for the ergonomics of Ed 8.
5. Mine have lasted a year so far. Ken Allmighty is to be taken with a pinch of salt, - his site is an exercise in soliloquy, not pluralism.
6. Sure! And I guess that's why one does not develop a pain in the neck when wearing them.

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #34 of 38
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't notice much talk about the physical aspects which are important for headphones:
[...]

Point by point 1.-6.:
1. I wear 60cm size hats, - fit is just perfect.
2. Possibly - in my case Ed 8 sit more securely on my head. I would advise to try them before you buy. T5P are comfortable, but do not stay put as well as Ed 8 do.
3. Perfect for my ears; YMMV
4. And it is most welcome! Try wearing both, - I do, and I have a slight preference for the ergonomics of Ed 8.
5. Mine have lasted a year so far. Ken Allmighty is to be taken with a pinch of salt, - his site is an exercise in soliloquy, not pluralism.
6. Sure! And I guess that's why one does not develop a pain in the neck when wearing them.

I don't believe we disagree much, but a few comments:
  • Headband length and width: It's just large enough for me too, but I've seen people with even larger heads than mine. Buyer beware.
  • Earcup movability: I would like more movability because I think I'm at or near its limit, maybe even a little bit past. It's hard to know without having more movability to try out. Too little will affect seal and possibly strain the headphone mechanism and affect comfort. Again buyer beware.
  • Earcup size: We're different. Again buyer beware.
  • Size and weight: There's nothing wrong with light. I'm just stating a fact to inform.
  • Robustness: This was more of a warning not to trust Ken Rockwell's statement. Ultrasone Edition 8, as most other items, isn't as robust as a tank or a sledgehammer
  • Earcup material: Again I'm just stating a fact to inform. Some writers have erroneously described it as metal. I agree that this contributes to the low weight, and plastic can be very strong.

Ultrasone Edition 8 rests more secure/firmer than beyerdynamic T 5 p on my head as well. This is not a result of high and uncomfortable clamping force though. I think it's a result of several factors including lower weight, weight closer to head, a bit more clamping force(?), snugger fit.

On my head the beyerdynamic T 5 p seems a bit loose for walking around outdoors. I belive this may depend on your head's height to width ratio and the needed headband elongation. This isn't a problem for me though, since I only plan to use it while sitting at home.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #35 of 38
Dear CDWMcInSpots, - actually I fully agree to your observations!
The only difference between us remains the emphasis, -- while you warn the future buyers of Ed. 8, I hail Ed. 8, as they fit both of us, moreover, they fit both of us better that T5P, therefore I say hats off to Ed. 8! (for me their properties on the go are rather more important, as I rarely use cans indoors).
Still, I will surely see that my T5P are fixed ASAP (bad cable), since I take T5P over Ed. 8 for classical and jazz any day, notwithstanding my minor ergonomic and esthetic preferences for Ed. 8.
:wink:

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #36 of 38
I wrote this way because I believe beyerdynamic T 5 p will fit more people than Ultrasone Edition 8 because headsize/-height or earsize may be contra factors with the latter.

I wish Ultrasone Edtion 8 had larger ear pad holes, (a bit) more ear cup movability and preferably a longer headband.
  • Would please my ears because they don't like to be bent and tucked.
  • To be absolutely sure about seal etc. as noted
  • For people with larger/taller head than me

1 is the main fit/comfort issue for me, with 2 as a factor of uncertainty.

beyerdynamic T 5 p doesn't have these problems, and the issues I mentioned doesn't matter for my indoor use. They do if you want to use them out and about.

In these posts I try to present my observations as objective as possible to provide more data points to other head-fiers. Hence I described my head, ears and use scenario(s) rather thoroughly.

May 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #37 of 38
Every time I listen to Ultrasone they just seem plain wrong. That exaggerated bass seems silly to me and is just impossible. I listen mostly to classical music and electronic/dance music. Last time I spent extended time with them was at the recent Munich High End show and it merely reinforced my opinion. 

The Ultrasone is particularly bad with bass-heavy music. I was playing some drum and bass tracks that I know well, and the tracks sounded absolutely awful. It really is a flawed headphone to my ears.

The Beyerdynamic T5P may seem less exciting, but it is more correct, sane and liveable sound.

Open phones usually sound best (I have a Sennheiser HD 800). But I need closed ones to use at work. I currently have Denon AH-D5000 but am always on the look out for better ones. Beyerdynamic T5P have pluses and minuses vs Denon, but I might go for them (although they seem pricey to me). The Fostex I have yet to hear but am intrigued (I think they used to do the old Denons, I could be wrong here). But the Ultrasone? Never!

Pedro

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #38 of 38
I have owned t5p for a period of time and just recently got edition 8. I listen to mostly classical music. I think for classical music, t5p is better, with better clarity, instrument separation and more realistic bass, which is not shy at all even without a headphone amp. Edition 8 is a better choice for traveling; it's still very good overall... I will definitely keep it for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back