Ultrasone Edition 8 Lust
Jul 10, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 57
I sure love mine. I was surprised just how good they are. They're the best current production closed headphone, IMHO. Of the cans I own, only the T1 and LCD-2 are better.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #18 of 57
really love my pro 900s. wonder if i should try some edition 8s since i love the ultrasone sound.  My pro900s are perfect for dubstep and drum n bass, any bass heads think it is wise to see what edition 8 has to offer?  They are apparently less bass heavy, but probably more bass accurate? 

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #19 of 57

Quote:
really love my pro 900s. wonder if i should try some edition 8s since i love the ultrasone sound.  My pro900s are perfect for dubstep and drum n bass, any bass heads think it is wise to see what edition 8 has to offer?  They are apparently less bass heavy, but probably more bass accurate? 

Actually, I've been a bit perplexed by several member's opinions of the ED8. When I compared the Ultrasone PRO series (550, 750, and some expensive closed orange one) to the Edition 8, I found the soundstage to be dramatically smaller on the ED8 through my MP3 player than the PROs. Members say plugging them into a better amp has proven to widen the soundstage dramatically and surpass Denons in soundstage. I find this difficult to believe since the cups are smaller and they're efficient headphones.

I didn't find them to be particularly exciting in bass impact. For more bass impact, the HFI 580 is much more capable. I wouldn't suggest using the ED8 as portable headphones since they are audibly nowhere near the $1600 price tag when used with a portable source. They barely beat out the ATH ESW10JPN which at $600 is also already overpriced.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #20 of 57
im not gonna use them for portable. i have iems

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #21 of 57

Thanks, you've all convinced me! I'll get them second hand and can sell them if they don't suit. Win win right?

Museman, carefuly construct a list of reasons of why you shouldn't buy it (don't just keep it in your head; write it down and see what you're really sacrificing if you buy the Ed8). Then, explore these reasons thoroughly (this involves a hefty sum of cash, after all).
Finally, flip a coin (or use a similar method that relies solely on chance). Why? When the coin lands and reveals the answer, you'll catch yourself knowing what you really wanted.

I used a similar method when I was torn between Cornell and Emory. I received scholarships to both colleges, so I had no financial incentive to attend one over the other. After weeks of ceaseless deliberation, I decided to write 'C'/'E' 10 times each on a piece of paper, cut up the paper to 20 smaller pieces, and put them in a hat. The reason I used this particular method was that I wanted to prolong the process, which forced me to weigh my options further and increased the anticipation for the verdict.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #22 of 57
^^ your smart, so what school...

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #25 of 57

Quote:

I wouldn't suggest using the ED8 as portable headphones since they are audibly nowhere near the $1600 price tag when used with a portable source. They barely beat out the ATH ESW10JPN which at $600 is also already overpriced.

Interesting.  I would love to audition those ATH's, been curious about them for awhile. I just looked at your profile and see you haven't owned the Edition 8s, so I have to ask the conditions under which you come to this conclusion (borrowed from a friend/at a meet + time spent)?

To my ears these things are an absolute miracle the quality they put out straight out of an iPhone jack.  I've never heard anything that comes remotely close.  I've had a few ATH phones (A900/L3000/W1000x/) and while they sound okay on the merits of being relatively easy to drive phones, they're way off from this.  Unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to try their upper end portables but I would be shocked.

I own two of these guys, an LE for the office (desktop rig), and a ruthie for portable use to be driven straight from my Macbook Air or iPhone 4.  Yes, I am that impressed by this phone to own a pair for exclusive use on pedestrian sources.

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #26 of 57

Quote:

Actually, I've been a bit perplexed by several member's opinions of the ED8. When I compared the Ultrasone PRO series (550, 750, and some expensive closed orange one) to the Edition 8, I found the soundstage to be dramatically smaller on the ED8 through my MP3 player than the PROs. Members say plugging them into a better amp has proven to widen the soundstage dramatically and surpass Denons in soundstage. I find this difficult to believe since the cups are smaller and they're efficient headphones.

I didn't find them to be particularly exciting in bass impact. For more bass impact, the HFI 580 is much more capable. I wouldn't suggest using the ED8 as portable headphones since they are audibly nowhere near the $1600 price tag when used with a portable source. They barely beat out the ATH ESW10JPN which at $600 is also already overpriced.

I owned the ESW10jpn for over a year and sold it and upgrade it to the ED8.  "Barely beat out the ESW10jpn"? Hardly.  The Ed8 beat the esw10jpn hands down.  It has much better bass, better tonal balance, more confortable to wear (circumaural vs superaural), better.  That being said, the esw10jpn is a very good phone for the price.  They are both very beautiful, it just that the ed8 is on a higher sq level. The only complaint I have with the ed8 is that the headband with full extension barely reaches or covers my ears.  I wish the band is one inch longer and the cups is half inch wider and taller.  But it is a beautiful piece and I have the limited edition.

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #27 of 57

Quote:

Interesting.  I would love to audition those ATH's, been curious about them for awhile. I just looked at your profile and see you haven't owned the Edition 8s, so I have to ask the conditions under which you come to this conclusion (borrowed from a friend/at a meet + time spent)?

To my ears these things are an absolute miracle the quality they put out straight out of an iPhone jack.  I've never heard anything that comes remotely close.  I've had a few ATH phones (A900/L3000/W1000x/) and while they sound okay on the merits of being relatively easy to drive phones, they're way off from this.  Unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to try their upper end portables but I would be shocked.

I own two of these guys, an LE for the office (desktop rig), and a ruthie for portable use to be driven straight from my Macbook Air or iPhone 4.  Yes, I am that impressed by this phone to own a pair for exclusive use on pedestrian sources.

Quote:
I owned the ESW10jpn for over a year and sold it and upgrade it to the ED8.  "Barely beat out the ESW10jpn"? Hardly.  The Ed8 beat the esw10jpn hands down.  It has much better bass, better tonal balance, more confortable to wear (circumaural vs superaural), better.  That being said, the esw10jpn is a very good phone for the price.  They are both very beautiful, it just that the ed8 is on a higher sq level. The only complaint I have with the ed8 is that the headband with full extension barely reaches or covers my ears.  I wish the band is one inch longer and the cups is half inch wider and taller.  But it is a beautiful piece and I have the limited edition.

My opinion was strictly portable use with a Cowon S9. I was extremely underwhelmed for it as a portable headphone. If you say the ED8 beats the ESW10JPN hands down in a portable setting, it's clearly an exaggeration. It's in no way a bad headphone and it's sexy as hell, but I have trouble justifying the price when I'd mostly use something like the ED8 as a portable office headphone. It's not competitively priced has a home headphone, but I guess it can do a little of everything rather well. You pay the price for it though.

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #28 of 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016

My opinion was strictly portable use with a Cowon S9. I was extremely underwhelmed for it as a portable headphone. If you say the ED8 beats the ESW10JPN hands down in a portable setting, it's clearly an exaggeration. 

Have you considered maybe they're a poor synergy with the Cowon?  For portable use I strongly believe they tuned these on Apple devices, which would make sense as they're the market leader in that domain.

You come in here in response to someone's question vs. the 900s - no mention of portable context mind you - and conclude they are underwhelming both as a portable and home headphone.  It appears you haven't owned these and only mentioned hearing them out of one portable source.  Then you have a guy like Skylab right above stating his belief they're the best closed production can in the world.  And you throw out the term "clearly an exagerration" to someone who has literally lived with both phones you're comparing.  

Look, it's good to have strong opinions and you're certainly not the first to be underwhelmed by this phone... just about every phone out there has its detractors.  But keep in mind when you dole out advice to someone soliciting it, please take some responsibility.  I see you have an Anedio D1 and if you've seen that thread over the past month you would know I'm not a fan.  But clearly I'm in the minority on that, and I'm certainly not going to around telling people they're exagerrating in their love for for this device.  Just because I don't see the magic doesn't mean it isn't great. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #29 of 57

Quote:
Have you considered maybe they're a poor synergy with the Cowon?  For portable use I strongly believe they tuned these on Apple devices, which would make sense as they're the market leader in that domain.

You come in here in response to someone's question vs. the 900s - no mention of portable context mind you - and conclude they are underwhelming both as a portable and home headphone.  It appears you haven't owned these and only mentioned hearing them out of one portable source.  Then you have a guy like Skylab right above stating his belief they're the best closed production can in the world.  And you throw out the term "clearly an exagerration" to someone who has literally lived with both phones you're comparing.  

Look, it's good to have strong opinions and you're certainly not the first to be underwhelmed by this phone... just about every phone out there has its detractors.  But keep in mind when you dole out advice to someone soliciting it, please take some responsibility.  I see you have an Anedio D1 and if you've seen that thread over the past month you would know I'm not a fan.  But clearly I'm in the minority on that, and I'm certainly not going to around telling people they're exagerrating in their love for for this device.  Just because I don't see the magic doesn't mean it isn't great. 

When did I ever say I was underwhelmed with it as a home headphone? I'm pretty sure I repeated said I was strictly talking about portable and a Cowon. As for my only comment about it as a home headphone, VERY few headphones cost $1600.

My comment was on practical uses of the ED8 and it's competition. It's clearly a headphone that can be used both at home and portably. Also, I asked a question regarding home use and no one has replied, therefore the portable comparison is left open. I think you need to stop getting piss personal about headphones since it has nothing to do with an Anedio D1. Do I need to bring in a discussion about the Anedio? I can discuss if you'd like. My opinions are always strong and critical because I'm broke. If you have thousands of dollars rolling in, congrats and I'm happy for you, but I don't.

I'm not sure what you mean about synergy with the Cowon or Apple because using Cowon's EQ makes it factor that you can just disregard.

Quote:
My opinion was strictly portable use with a Cowon S9. I was extremely underwhelmed for it as a portable headphone. If you say the ED8 beats the ESW10JPN hands down in a portable setting, it's clearly an exaggeration. It's in no way a bad headphone and it's sexy as hell, but I have trouble justifying the price when I'd mostly use something like the ED8 as a portable office headphone. It's not competitively priced as a home headphone, but I guess it can do a little of everything rather well. You pay the price for it though.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #30 of 57
I dunno maybe for bass heavy music I should stick with my pro900s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back