Ultrasone Edition 8 "Limited Edition"
Feb 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #421 of 461
Just to tell that # 545 is accounted for, too.
The same source as Zaroff, - I considered palladium, but I did not want a return, and for new phones the difference between 'ordinary' and limited was ridiculous (26 Eur?!), so I got those. ~1140 Eur shipped to Belgium (with 'vorkasse' discount (how is your Deutsch? :wink:

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #422 of 461
@ Wilzc,  I have/had all three versions (Ruthenium, 2 Palladiums, and 3 Limited) side by side and they all sound the same. Just the look is different. Ruthenium and Limited edition will show scratches, but its hard to see scratches on Palladium because of the texture (well its at least easier to hide scratches on palldium). The only problem with ruthenium and limited is that they are "Fingerprint magnets" ..... everytime one touches it, you will easily see fingerprints on it.

Now I don't see how this squeaky issue keeps comping up from time to time, but looking back at it it seems to me that people are taking ED8s for prestige sake and not for its sonic-capabilites. Enjoy the music man!! and not the way how it looks on your head.  

Quoting Wilzc "Now I'm gonna put these back in its case, and will only use them in highly highly controlled environments"

I have a suggestion.... you should wear them in temperature controlled enviornment too. Who knows? may be the ethiopian sheep skin pads and headband might survive a little longer
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Julia does most of the email replies nowadays.

I'm a little tired of the contacting and warranty and stuff. The local distributors are nice but I just live too far! I've changed the Edition 8's ruth to the Limited for the squeak reason. And what I found was incredible. I Didn't think much of the rutheniums sound. They sound ookaaaay. But the Limiteds blew me away. Also, the stitcthing and overall fitting of the leather on the headband of the ruthenium was poor compared to the Limiteds. The rutheniums were floppy and loose.

The palladium's had the same squeak because they used the same black foam at the hinge instead of the grey felt ones so I paid the difference to get the Limited. But I was so confident in Ultrasone that I did not inspect the limiteds closely and went home with a bulging wood inlay that popped out completely after day 3. lol.

The problem with pics is that the scratches might not show but I'll try my best.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #423 of 461
So stoked. I will be picking up a set from Moon Audio tomorrow, and I absolutely cannot wait to listen to them (and see them, for heavens sake!). I'll update to account for my serial number soon :-D

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #424 of 461

Quote:
So stoked. I will be picking up a set from Moon Audio tomorrow, and I absolutely cannot wait to listen to them (and see them, for heavens sake!). I'll update to account for my serial number soon :-D

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. To date, my favourite closed current production headphone...and Drew is a great guy to deal with too.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #425 of 461
Proud owner of #551. Drew was fantastic to work with. They sound so, so nice; obviously quite the upgrade from my beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250 ohm cans. There's almost no comparison: the full range on the Ed 8s is immediately more apparent than on the BDs; a prog metal album released from some friends of mine last week is just so much more beautiful. Sounds like I'm listening at home. Thanks to everyone on this thread for the recommendation.

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #426 of 461

Quote:
They sound so, so nice; obviously quite the upgrade from my beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250 ohm cans. There's almost no comparison: the full range on the Ed 8s is immediately more apparent than on the BDs;

I recall DT 770 pro 250 as very balanced and pleasant sounding phones - I returned them as they seemed no use for portable applications, and I saw no point in closed phones at home. Never directly compared them to Edition 8. Now I find Edition 8 good, but not beyond any possible criticism - as it is, for most of the classical, I would give slight preference to beyer t5ps. Still I half expect Edition 8 to improve with some use (in my experience, most speakers/ headphones do so).

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #427 of 461
It's entirely possible that I am not driving them well; I don't have a great source. Even with an amp, high-bass and low-mid frequencies were just muddy for me. The Ed. 8s are clear, crisp, transparent. (Yay subjective words). My general requirements are that I need closed cans in most places, and these just shine. I've now tested them against several inferior headphones and I kind of feel silly that I have been missing so much in my music.

Anyhow, definitely not saying the dt770s are bad; they were an upgrade from my previous hd-555s, and they did the job well. I'm just noticing so much more with the Ed. 8s. Some of it is sound stage, I'm sure, but general clarity is much better across my (unfortunately prematurely capped around 15.5kHz) frequency range. It's much easier to pick out instruments, blah blah blah.

Forgive my gushing; I've never had headphones to be really excited about before :). (Also please forgive any typos; this is coming from my phone.)

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #428 of 461
U  N  B  E  L  I  E  V  A  B  L  E

U  N  R  E  A  L

I  M  P  O  S  S  I  B  L  E

Why, why, why did I wait this long? Why? Why?

Out now: # 689 (only 199 to go...)

H  A  P  P  Y  ,  V  E  R  Y    V  E  R  Y    H  A  P  P  Y

Mar 25, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #431 of 461
I am playing with Ed 8 Ltd, T5P and the Altmann Tera-Player for a week now. Now I must say that T5P benefit more from the player upgrade (in particular for classical music recordings; also better holding against Ed 8 with some rock), still Edition 8 are more portable, they remain more even across the genres, and my number one preference for most of my music.

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #432 of 461
I am already. Have been using 535 IEP from Shure and others, but this open up a whole new world. So much detail, so much refinement. Deep controlled bass. Like sitting next to the producer. WOW!

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #433 of 461
One thing though. When unpacked, the leather had turned black in places, bacause of oxidization. I have put some high quality leather finishing on and now it is much more equal, although the leather is overall several shades darker. I happen to like that, it shows that it is being used. But if you want to keep the light brown... don't touch it, ever!

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #435 of 461
I used Lexol. Worked great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back