Ultrasone Edition 8 "Limited Edition"
Nov 23, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #182 of 461
Thanks guys but I need a portable amp. I rarely have time to listen at home and the main reason I went to using headphones is for portability. The P51 mustang seems interesting because it is much known for mids as I've read?

My current setup Hifiman 602 > Copper IC > RSA Hornet > Ed8

Again, very much appreciate suggestions. As for the Concerto amp, how would you guys compare it to the WA6?

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #183 of 461
I'm going to have my Ed. 8s re-cabled by Moon Audio with a Protector plug.  It's a bit of a leap of faith, but based on how good the Protector sounds with my D2000s and JH16s (both balanced), I'm pretty confident that it will be a good match.  Of course, you have to be willing to get a re-cable because the Protector isn't a great single-ended amp.

Ray has said his best SE portable amp is the SR-71A, I'm not sure how that compares to the Mustang but I'd look into it.  Other highly-regarded portable amps are the Pico Slim, TTVJ Slim, [size=small][size=10pt]iBasso Toucan, and ALO Rx.[/size][/size][size=small][size=10pt] [/size][/size]

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #184 of 461
I agree with DJ Nellie, you might want to check out the SR-71A "Black Bird" from Ray Samuels. Also be aware that in two weeks the SR-71B is coming out, so if the idea of having a fully balanced portable amp is remotely appealing I'd look into it. Both the SR-71A and the SR-71B have high and low impedance switches, so that will make them more versatile. The trade-off is that both are a bit larger than some of the other portables mentioned.

The HeadAmp Pico line is highly regarded, and with good reason. Justin's work is top notch. The Slim version is rated more for IEMs and low impedance headphones, whereas the regular sized Pico will be more versatile at the expense of added size. The TTVJ Slim looks really nice too, with a stepped attenuator and selectable gain switch, which is rare for a "slim" amp.

There's also the i-Qube to add to the list.

Of course, I haven't heard the Edition 8 with any of these, so I can't be much of a help beyond general suggestions. I'd look for some Edition 8 owners who actually use theirs as portables, or perhaps audition a few and return / sell what you don't like. There's always a market for these little amps...

EDIT: I'd ask in the portable amp section of the forum for a wider array of suggestions.

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #185 of 461
i use the regular Pico amp with my Ed8 and it is great.  I have a Hornet M and it doesn't even compare.  I would go Pico myself, much more transparent.  My two cents.
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #186 of 461

Quote:
 I would go Pico myself, much more transparent.  My two cents.
wink.gif

There seems to be much agreement that Justin at HeadAmp makes some of the most transparent amps out there. Ray Samuels tends to be described more as smoother and "tube-like" from the impressions I've seen.

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #188 of 461
Well I have to say, I have been on my first vacation in years and it is funny how much i miss my ED8 LE.  Here i am living with a good set up my JH13 and my ESW9's and i cant complain, i didn't want to bring the ED8's to a foreign country for obvious reasons, but now and then i think i should have.  

Guess it's worth it even though I miss them.........

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #189 of 461
Yes being in he tropics can be difficult. I brought all of my phones though. :^)  Double click for larger image. 

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #191 of 461
Ok great help guys! Indeed, the SR71B is something I have been following but the Pico is something of a revelation today. Thanks dallan! As of the moment, I really will be sticking to SE only. The only thing that is worrying me now will be the asking price on the SR71B. Also I really am waiting to audition Meier Stepdance. Heard it really sounds awesome as well!

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #192 of 461
Owned all three versions of ED8 (Ruthenium, Palladium, and Limited)...... Just shows how much I love ED8.

But sadly have to sell them......... If anyone is interested in buying Ultrasone ED8 LIMITED Edition, then I have listed mine in For Sale section. Priced for immediate sale (Only reason for sale is because I just paid for HE90, and I need to clear up some funds). For Sale link is in my Signature.

I will certainly buy the ED8 LE again when funds are stable, but I didn't want to lose the opportunity to get my hands on HE90. My Headamp Aristaeus has been waiting for a long time for getting a HE90 pluged in.

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #193 of 461

Quote:
Owned all three versions of ED8 (Ruthenium, Palladium, and Limited)...... Just shows how much I love ED8.

But sadly have to sell them......... If anyone is interested in buying Ultrasone ED8 LIMITED Edition, then I have listed mine in For Sale section. Priced for immediate sale (Only reason for sale is because I just paid for HE90, and I need to clear up some funds). For Sale link is in my Signature.

I will certainly buy the ED8 LE again when funds are stable, but I didn't want to lose the opportunity to get my hands on HE90. My Headamp Aristaeus has been waiting for a long time for getting a HE90 pluged in.

that´s hardcore
ph34r.gif

Nov 24, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #194 of 461

Quote:

Out of curiosity, was this the mint HE90 that was for sale on the Headphile page?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back