Ultrasone Edition 8 "Limited Edition"
Nov 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #166 of 461
If anyone is willing to sell the hard traveling case that came with the LE Ed. 8, please PM me.  There's got to be someone who only uses the Ed. 8s at home, right?  And someone who wants to make back some of the premium that they spent on the LE? 
normal_smile%20.gif

Does anyone know if there's a MOT or some other vendor that makes cases for the Ed. 8s?

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #167 of 461
You could perhaps hunt down the Pro 750/900s hardcase? It´s a bit more practical since no wood to scratch and should be a bit lighter as well?

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #168 of 461
I'd sincerely doubt any Ed. 8 LE owners are going to want to part with their cases. That's one of the whole reasons for paying the additional $500 over the other versions to begin with. Plus, if you go to try and sell your LE later on and don't have the case you're going to lose a good deal of the value, so any compensation you could pay an owner now would ultimately be negated.

The Proline hardcases are a better bet as oqvist said.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #169 of 461
I am sure not letting go of mine!!!

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #170 of 461
I don't think the Ed. 8 fits into the PRO case.  It looks like, because the PRO series cups fold, the shape of the foam or whatever the headphones are placed into is different.  http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/images/catalog/ultrasone-pro750-in-the-box.jpg

But if you've seen or tried the Ed. 8 in that case, let me know and I'll check it out. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #171 of 461

Quote:
I don't think the Ed. 8 fits into the PRO case.  It looks like, because the PRO series cups fold, the shape of the foam or whatever the headphones are placed into is different.  http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/images/catalog/ultrasone-pro750-in-the-box.jpg

But if you've seen or tried the Ed. 8 in that case, let me know and I'll check it out. 

I just checked with my Ed. 8 and my girlfriend's Pro 2900 case. The problem isn't the size of the case, but as you said the insert that the headphones sit in.

It does look like you could gut the case pretty easily though, removing the inserts. If you have some DIY skills you could probably whip up your own custom case from the Proline case by lining it with some fabric and foam inserts. The outline of the Ed. 8 is pretty simple.

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #172 of 461
Ok, thanks for the suggestion.  So it looks like the case is deep enough to hold the Ed. 8 cups if I could create a new insert?  Is the insert for the headband the same size as the Ed. 8's?

If so, I would probably just cut a line down the middle of the existing inserts for the cups and try to place the Ed. 8 cups into those spaces.  Does that seem like it would work?

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #173 of 461

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the suggestion.  So it looks like the case is deep enough to hold the Ed. 8 cups if I could create a new insert?  Is the insert for the headband the same size as the Ed. 8's?

If so, I would probably just cut a line down the middle of the existing inserts for the cups and try to place the Ed. 8 cups into those spaces.  Does that seem like it would work?

The way the case is set up, there are several flaps that are designed to hold the accessories and the the Proline headphones themselves on top. It would be easier to try cutting the flaps off to see if the Ed. 8 would fit in that way. If it doesn't, you may need to just remove the entire assembly and just start with a hollowed out case.

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #174 of 461
Cool, thanks for the tips.  Almost makes up for you scaring off anyone who might've wanted to sell the LE case
wink_face.gif

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #176 of 461

Quote:

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the tips.  Almost makes up for you scaring off anyone who might've wanted to sell the LE case
wink_face.gif

Somehow I don't think you needed me for that. 
biggrin.gif

Absolutely not. I would NEVER part with my LE case regardless of what anyone posts.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #177 of 461
I would if I was dead certain I would never sell it.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #178 of 461
Guys, just want to ask... how is everyone protecting the shiny bits and pieces of this can? I have the Ruthenium but I am very much afraid it will get scratched... On another point, what portable amp have you guys paired the Ed8's with? I find the RSA Hornet to be too much on the highs and thin on the mids. Would very much appreciate inputs! 

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #179 of 461

Quote:
Guys, just want to ask... how is everyone protecting the shiny bits and pieces of this can? I have the Ruthenium but I am very much afraid it will get scratched... On another point, what portable amp have you guys paired the Ed8's with? I find the RSA Hornet to be too much on the highs and thin on the mids. Would very much appreciate inputs! 

Actually Ruthenium is quite scratch resistant. I keep it in a drawer when not in use (laid with a towel underneath it). I prefer my Ed. 8LE with my MAD tube amp actually. It also works very well with my Concerto. For portable, I find that the iBasso D4 does an admirable job (for a portable amp).

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #180 of 461
Scratch resistant yes but never allow it to lie on the desk or something. I use headphone hangers for mine.

As for amps particularly on my Ref9 which is colder then the DAC19 I really do preferr my Head One for the ED 8. Gives a bit beefier low end which the ED 8 can do well with.
That is not practical if you are going to use it as a portable. But I would recommend looking into more bassy sources then the Ipod touch 3G if you are not a treble head and body is important to you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back