Ultrasone Edition 12 announced in Japan
May 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #46 of 437
I missed trying them today in Tokyo but I will sort out reviewing a pair once they go into production.

May 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #48 of 437
Quote:
If you look at the announcement letter there is mention of a HFI-1000 , wonder if that is a new headphone , the editions dont have 'other' names, interesting.........

Ultrasone French dealer told me they were about to update the HFI line. 
(starting point was: is there going to be a Signature HFI (following pro and dj)? answer was no. but the hfi line is going to be updated).

May 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #49 of 437
I have the HFI-780 ear pads. I ordered them just to verify how much the sound alters by switching the ear pads. Pulled the SIG PRO pads off and installed the HFI-780 pads. Boy what a mess! The sound signature changed from exquisite neutral to standard Ultrasone house sound. Sharp highs and degraded mids and bass quality. Could no longer listen to Adele's voice. I feel that the SIG PRO is the SIG HFI already as both the SIG PRO and the HFI-780 share a lot of components only the drivers magnet ,the ear pads and the headband construction and  padding are different. OK I  have not opened them, so maybe they put in some damping material too. All in all a finding that is the same with exchanging the pads between the PRO 900 and PRO 2900. With the PRO 2900 pads the PRO 900 sounds much better in my opinion but it also loses a lot from its big bass in the process. And with the PRO 900 pads the PRO 2900 gains bass and looses overall quality. 

May 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #50 of 437
Quote:
So you are visiting the High End in München? Or where did you try them?

Almost the whole yesterday. Since I live in Munich it's a short jump. Had plenty of great info from Grell, Fang Bian, Fried Reim of Violectric and a few others. Listened to the Orpheus. 
normal_smile .gif

The Bakoon Amp was in a good, less noisy spot together with Klutz Design, equipped with Audezes and Toxic Cables. 

May 12, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #52 of 437
No idea how they sound, but they look gorgeous. For all the auditory horrors the ED10 allegedly perpetrated, I still think it's one of the most jaw-droppingly beautiful headphones I've ever seen. Let's hope this one sucks a lot less.

May 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #54 of 437
Nope, we are all waiting for your review.....
popcorn.gif

May 21, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #57 of 437
Quote:

It ended up being just as horrible as the ED10 besides the pretty aesthetics... the end.

Hopefully they learn from their mistakes although for me ED10 matched with right equipment is a great headphone - and greatly overpriced, too!

May 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #59 of 437
Quote:

It ended up being just as horrible as the ED10 besides the pretty aesthetics... the end.

From my experience w/ the HFI-2200s and Pro 900s they take a long long long time to burn in..... Not hd800 burn in long though..

May 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #60 of 437
Quote:kazsud
Quote:

From my experience w/ the HFI-2200s and Pro 900s they take a long long long time to burn in..... Not hd800 burn in long though..

The ED10 I heard would need about 5 months in a brick kiln......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back