Ultrasone Edition 12 announced in Japan
Apr 15, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #421 of 437
Apr 18, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #422 of 437
Sorrodje ,I enjoyed reading your review very much.

I have a ED12 for several weeks now and I agree with your observations.
The sound is mellow and relaxed. Easy to listen for hours without fatigue.
A little bit like the HD650 ( regarding the "relaxed sound")  I remember.
Used with solid state amps. Can't imagine that a tube amp is a better choice.

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #423 of 437
THks mates 
beerchug.gif

May 9, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #424 of 437
Just want to ad a few words here regarding amplification.

I used the ED12 with three solid state amps:

1. Meier Corda Classic
2. Centrance Dacmini ( 10 ohm ).
3. Burson Conductor SL (  same as Soloist SL ).

The Corda Classic proofed to be the best (by quite a margin).
This is a neutral sounding amp. As if this amp were designed for the ED12.

The Centrance delivers acceptable results. For the  price with such
a good dac a nice performance. It might improve with the 1ohm mod
to achieve a better damping factor.

With the Burson I was not that happy. The ED12 sounded too dark and
uninvolving.  Sound stage depths and width not good enough. Not a bad
amp but clearly well behind the Corda. This applies also for a number of
other headphones I heard the two amps with (  HD800 , Alessandro MS- Pro,
ED8, Sig Pro, HD600/650, Grado SR325 ). Exception was the DT880. I preferred
the Burson. Gave the "lean" sounding Beyer more "substance".
The Corda is a wonderful devise and I can understand when people saying that
it outperforms far more expensive amps.

It looks like that the ED12 is very amp picky. Maybe this explains the
number of negative comments ( mismatch ).

The ED12 has a "sound of its own". The somewhat mellow and relaxed sq means
listening for hours without fatigue and it is very comfortable / lightweight.
It will definitely not replace a HD800. This one is superior esp. in soundstage
quality. But I think the ED12 is a bit more musical and dynamic.
It is good to own both.

Here the components:
Desktop computer ( Foobar & J. River ) or  MacBook Pro ( Audirvana) - W4 Sound USB to SPDIF converter-
Centrance Dacmini ( dac via SPDIF ) - Nordost  Blue Heaven interconnects -
Meier Corda Classic.

May 9, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #425 of 437

It looks like that the ED12 is very amp picky. Maybe this explains the
number of negative comments ( mismatch ).

Yes, it is amp picky as hell...an a pain in the neck for that reason alone.  It will sound harsh and peaky on one amp, only to sound dark and dense on the other.  The Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of headphones. This headphone suffers from Bipolar Disorder.  Hate it out of the Burson soloist.  Okay with the Grace 920.  Better with my Ray Samuels Darkstar, which is a powerhouse of an amp.  No good at all with my Decware CSP2 (I don't know why, but this headphone seems to be allergic to tubes).  Not a pair of headphones for the faint of heart.

May 9, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #426 of 437
   (I don't know why, but this headphone seems to be allergic to tubes)

Maybe allergic to higher output impedance. In my experience , Ultrasone headphones are better from close to 0 ohm headphone output.

May 9, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #428 of 437

Maybe allergic to higher output impedance. In my experience , Ultrasone headphones are better from close to 0 ohm headphone output.

The ED12 is better with the 10 ohm Centrance than the 3 ohm Burson Conductor SL in my opinion. And outstanding with the near 0 ohm Corda Classic.
The same with the Sig Pro.  Excellent with the Meier and quite acceptable with the Centrance but not that good with the Burson.

May 9, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #429 of 437
  Yes, it is amp picky as hell...an a pain in the neck for that reason alone.  It will sound harsh and peaky on one amp, only to sound dark and dense on the other.  The Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of headphones. This headphone suffers from Bipolar Disorder.  Hate it out of the Burson soloist.  Okay with the Grace 920.  Better with my Ray Samuels Darkstar, which is a powerhouse of an amp.  No good at all with my Decware CSP2 (I don't know why, but this headphone seems to be allergic to tubes).  Not a pair of headphones for the faint of heart.

Give the Meier a try. Could be  the right amp for you too. If not I assume there is something wrong with my hearing.

Every headphone I had in the last few years I had issues when listening for longer periods ( listening fatigue ).
Not so with the ED12.  There is something "seductive" about it I can't really explain. The "psychedelic" S-Logic
maybe.......
biggrin.gif
?  Perhaps the right synergy with the Corda. Especially with Crossfeed filter on.
The Ed12  is phantastic with  jazz , blues , classical and vocals.  Also nothing to complain when listening to goth rock.
Psychedelic rock like Porcupine Tree sounds really amazing.

May 9, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #430 of 437
  Give the Meier a try. Could be  the right amp for you too. If not I assume there is something wrong with my hearing.

Every headphone I had in the last few years I had issues when listening for longer periods ( listening fatigue ).
Not so with the ED12.  There is something "seductive" about it I can't really explain. The "psychedelic" S-Logic
maybe.......
biggrin.gif
?  Perhaps the right synergy with the Corda. Especially with Crossfeed filter on.
The Ed12  is phantastic with  jazz , blues , classical and vocals.  Also nothing to complain when listening to goth rock.
Psychedelic rock like Porcupine Tree sounds really amazing.

I have to admit that there is, indeed, a velvety quality to the sound.  I also have to admit that they are non-fatiguing.  I like the phones (i.e., I used to hate them, now I don't), but by the same token, I prefer much cheaper headphones such as the AKG701 and HD650.  They are definitely overpriced.  I may be in the minority, but I also like the Edition 8s much better than the ED12s.

May 10, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #431 of 437
The ED8.........Took me a long time to find a buyer. Sold it with a big loss.
It was a similar story with the 8 finding a suitable amp. Among six
apms the Meier was best for this fussy headphone but not good enough.
Even the $3000 Stello Eximus couldn't do it.  The 8 is a good headphone
for mobile players in my opinion. Tried it only with a mediocre Cowan player.
IBasso or Astell...will probably be a better choice.

Overpriced........yes I think so too. Looking at the outstanding price to
performance ratio i.e. of the HD600 / 650 for a quarter of the price it does not
make sense to buy those headphones. But this applies to some other
"flagships" as well.
I sold all my headphones. Only three Ultrasones left. The Sig Pro ( bought again)
and the ED12 ( & a Proline  for sale).  The Sig for mobile player and also amp listening.
This is a really good headphone. Heard that it is one of the best closed cans you can find.
Since I only know open ones ( apart f. the ED8) I can't comment but could be true.

I have the Ultrasones for two reasons: apparently you can listen 2-3 db louder
without harming your ears, because of the different driver location I guess.
Second because of the MU shield that effectively reduces the emfs up to 80%.
I read a lot of papers about this issue. Concluded that precaution makes sense here.......

What I have to mention here , my experience with Ultrasones warranty service was very good.
I had a problem with the ED12 pads. Tried to change them and damaged the MU plate.
Had to send it to Germany. Ultrasone repaired everything and also no charge for the pads.
Excellent communication and very fast Fedex back delivery.
Years ago I had a driver problem in a Proline 2500. That was out of warranty. They gave me
a brand new headphone.  Such impeccable service!

A warning for everybody who wants to change the ED12 pads: Don't rip the pads out by pulling them up.
The pads are fitted with double sided sticky tape. The MU shield in the same way. By tearing the pads out the shield
can come out as well and will be bent. If this happens you have to order new MU shields or send the
phone to Ultrasone. The way to do it properly is to take a plastic knife and start from the inside
carefully lifting the pads up. If not sure contact Ultrasone for a proper direction how to proceed.

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #432 of 437

Had a listening session on the Ed.12 combined with the Moon 430 Neo amp last week, and i thought the sound had a great clarity with a unique velvet resolution, depth / 3D, and detailed bass.
The mid / lower bass where a little recessed, but i like them as a compliment headphone in my setup, so i placed an order.

And in comparisson to the HD600/HD650 , the Ed 12 sounds so much more vivid , spacious and detailed to the boaring dry HD600/HD650 in my opinion.

I take the the Ed12 every day over the Senn.

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #433 of 437
I baught two Ultrasone Edition 12 , one for my cousin, who are not with us any more, so if anyone want to collect a new never used pair just click here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814685/new-ultrasone-edition-12-ultra-high-end-velvety-ultra-detailed-sound-800-euro

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #434 of 437
And up we go!

I'll be joining this illusive group of sexy individuals very shortly.......:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back