Ultrasone Edition 12 announced in Japan
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #407 of 437

If I can't trust my ears, then what? 

I trust my ears too but that's not the point. the point is even if I trust my ears and I dislike a headphone ( Beyer T1 in my case) I would never discourage anyone to try it.  My ears are trustable for me but not so for the whole world.

I really don't care any consensus in audio.  I heard some highly praised piece of gear or headphones I wouldn't advice to anyone.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #408 of 437

I trust my ears too but that's not the point. the point is even if I trust my ears and I dislike a headphone ( Beyer T1 in my case) I would never discourage anyone to try it.  My ears are trustable for me but not so for the whole world.

I really don't care any consensus in audio.  I heard some highly praised piece of gear or headphones I wouldn't advice to anyone.

I'm beginning to think that our ears are shaped very differently and, hence, our difference in opinions regarding the ED12 and the T1.  Let's just be happy that Beyerdynamic caters to my shape of ears and Ultrasone to yours.  Nothing wrong with liking a pair of headphones over another pair. When opinions regarding sound are so different, I believe that biology/physiology may have something to do with it, especially when it comes to products purported to be of similar quality, as the T1 and ED12 are.  So lets just be happy that we have headphones that make us very happy and lets call it a truce.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #409 of 437
On a sidenote, I demoed the HD800 and the T1 side by side run from a Lehmann amp and a very expensive CD player. That was 3 years ago. The T1 did such a good job in rendering the percussion on Bromberg's Wood 2 album, that I still remember it and still compare each and every can I get my ears on against the T1. And I did not yet find a second can that can compare in that regards. And the ED 12 also failed in this test completely for me.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #410 of 437
Don't get me wrong. Despite the fact I can't stand it , I still think the T1 is a great headphone and better than the ed12 . 

It just demonstrates how it's difficult to give any absolute statement in audio. QED

EDIT: I' ve forgotten to precise that before to write and publsh any review, I always share my impressions with some other experienced friends and we all agree about the fact that despite its flaws and it's excessive price, the Edition 12 is a good and enjoyable headphone.  That not signify I don't trust your opinions mates but it just seems that like many other Ultrasone , the ed12 can be polarizing.

Personaly I'm done with Ultrasone.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #411 of 437

I am German and I hear and feel the same as you. You got to sell it as fast as you can......been there , done that!

What do you think about the German Audio Test 28.08.13 ?
 A  weird review !
They concluded that the ED12 is addictive.  Listening to a HD800 after the ED12 the Senn. sounds dull and "ponderous".

http://www.audio.de/testbericht/ultrasone-edition-12-im-test-1534943.html

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #412 of 437
The Audio Magazin is mostly driven by the adverts the have. The ED12 that I had was funnily enough from the tombola they ran in exactly the same issue of the magazin. No it wasn't me who won the headphone, but I was the third in line to buy it. I for myself am still very happy to listen to headphones that don't stress my inner ears.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #413 of 437
I am not one to give up very easily.  I've had these Edition 12 for a year and had tried multiple sources, headamps, tubes...you name it, I had tried it and to no avail when it came to large orchestral works, which always sounded diffused, veiled, and as dull as dishwater.  Yesterday I got an idea: could it be that I am not wearing these headphones the right way.  Well, it seems like I finally stumbled with the truth.  It turns out I have a rather smallish head and the headphones never seemed to clamp my head the way others did...they were so loose that they were always kind of slipping off my head.  I decided to bend the metals holding the cups (carefully, so as not to break them) inward to make the clamping force stronger against my ears.  What do you know.  Now these sound like a completely different set of headphones.  The veil has lifted.  The orchestra now sounds the way it is supposed to sound.  The treble can be a bit "too happy" at times, but treble better be there with classical music, which is almost exclusively what I listen to.  Now the ED12s sound like major league headphones.  Are they better than the HD800s and T1s?  Well, not quite, but at least now they are in the ballpark.  Are they too expensive? most definitely, but now they sound like a $1000 pair of headphones rather than a $300 pair.  These are still much better with smaller ensembles than with big orchestral fare, but now I can see what Sorrodje was talking about, which I couldn't quite get before my serendipitous finding.  I was strongly considering selling them to Wolfz, but now it looks like I am keeping them because I kind of like them for a change of pace since they don't sound anything like my other headphones.  There is now a silken, elegant, velvety quality to them that I quite like.  By the way, the best way to listen to these is to place the ears as far and upward inside the headphones as you possibly can.  The more to the front and down the ears are inside the cups, the more trebly and unpleasant the sound becomes.  These headphones are so picky with regard to the positioning of the ears inside the cups that they have to be the most frustrating headphones I've ever owned...but once you discover the happy zone, you're in business.  Operatic voices sound just sublime (i.e., Jose Carreras and Montserrat Caballe in the famous 1976 Tosca recording sound amazing!).  Great headphones for opera.  Not the best pair of headphones the world has ever seen, but now I am quite happy with them.  Sorry, Wolfz.  Still, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who is not willing to have a major headache with then in the process of discovering its possibilities.  Looks like Sorrodje and I will be smoking the pipe of peace from now on!!! 

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #414 of 437
That is normally the first thing to do with most Ultrasones finding the correct position.
And it is annoying.
Even the Sig Pro with the smaller cups changed the sound with different position.
Maybe the SigPro is designed for poeple "out of this world " with super big heads.
I had to rip the leather around the headband open and put extra padding in there to get
it 8mm higher. That made quite a difference in SQ.
Talked to an Ultrasone dealer because I was curious why the ED12 was discontinued in their shop.
They seemed not that impressed by the sound........
I will have to listen to that dubious thing for myself.  Everybody hears different.

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #415 of 437
I could go along with that as one of the first big proponents of the ED12. I do in fact have a big head. :D

I do have to think that there is more to headphones than just sound quality, not everyone is going to have a good fit with every pair of headphones. The Pro2900s were a poor fit for me even, the cable was too thick and always ruined the seal for that side of my head by pulling on the cup too much.

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #416 of 437
Sorry, I have a rather large head too. It was not the fit or seal for me, it was just the treble reproduction.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #417 of 437
    Looks like Sorrodje and I will be smoking the pipe of peace from now on!!! 

LOL. No need of pipe of peace :wink: .  we just compared different experience and I'm not a fan of this Edition 12 so we could easily agree to disagree.  Treble sensitivity is a very personal thing.

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #419 of 437
I begun a few weeks ago. Will try to finish the work.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #420 of 437
As promised  :  http://www.head-fi.org/products/ultrasone-edition-12/reviews/12917 

Sorry for the approximate translation from french. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back