Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Feb 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #1,576 of 2,110
good question...
how they know??
now I ask them again if they are sure.. i'm not sure..
the mine one, when the singer says "Shhh.." or "Ch...."(sibilant sound) it make a peak and go inside your ears like a thunder.. so it became tiresome..
not in every recording have this problem only in someone..
i have 150 hours..

Matteo

Quote:

No worries here. I'll check my serial number when I get a chance to get over to my office.  Not sure how Ultrasone knows, the problem must be confined to a certain range of serial numbers?

Peace, 

Lee

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #1,577 of 2,110
I would think that you likely have the "defective" pads. The treble peak at about 5K is quite obvious,especially with cymbals. If you have a reasonable amount of experience with headphones it is fairly easy, IMHO, to tell the difference as it is simply quite unpleasant.

The new pads are still slightly bright but not in an uncomfortable way and perhaps improves, which it doesn't need much, with burn in. While you may not have both to compare one to the other it is an obvious difference; one is almost unlistenable especially with cymbals (it makes you want to get rid of them), and the other is world class across the entire range (you might even give up your first born to keep them).

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,578 of 2,110
I don't have cymbals song.. May you suggest me one, thank you.

Matteo

Quote:
I would think that you likely have the "defective" pads. The treble peak at about 5K is quite obvious,especially with cymbals. If you have a reasonable amount of experience with headphones it is fairly easy, IMHO, to tell the difference as it is simply quite unpleasant.

The new pads are still slightly bright but not in an uncomfortable way and perhaps improves, which it doesn't need much, with burn in. While you may not have both to compare one to the other it is an obvious difference; one is almost unlistenable especially with cymbals (it makes you want to get rid of them), and the other is world class across the entire range (you might even give up your first born to keep them).

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #1,579 of 2,110
"I don't have cymbals song.. May you suggest me one, thank you."

Any well recorded big band music is good to test out the headphones especially with the  horns and cymbals. I like to use Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, "Swinging for the Fences" especially the first cut, " Sing Sang Sung". That is one killer song!!!

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #1,580 of 2,110
Duke Ellington, "Blues in Orbit"? 

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #1,585 of 2,110
I haven't checked in on this thread in many weeks.  Has the consensus changed regarding the Ed10?  Are they really "world class across the entire [spectrum]" from a simple slight lack of ear cushion?  I ruled these headphones out, but I'd like to hear em.  I do like a bright headphone at times, or one with an accentuated treble/ treble energy.  But I've been reluctant to explore this headphone as a possibility because it's debut was a massacre of mass proportions.  

Any comments? 

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #1,586 of 2,110

Quote:
I haven't checked in on this thread in many weeks.  Has the consensus changed regarding the Ed10?  Are they really "world class across the entire [spectrum]" from a simple slight lack of ear cushion?  I ruled these headphones out, but I'd like to hear em.  I do like a bright headphone at times, or one with an accentuated treble/ treble energy.  But I've been reluctant to explore this headphone as a possibility because it's debut was a massacre of mass proportions.  

Any comments? 

Yes, the difference is that big (to me anyways). Not only a matter of ear cushion but also the density of the earpads I guess.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #1,587 of 2,110

Quote:

Any comments? 

David,

There is a chance that my pair will get back from Whiplash this week, if they get the parts in.  I'm thinking of attending the NYC meet and if so, I will take it with me.  Mine is recabled, though.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #1,588 of 2,110

Quote:
Second that.

With a good amp!  They really reveal and respond to amp changes.

FWIW--I don't offer any headphones for sale, I am simply a fan of the 10's, and the 8's (and the Senn HD600's, 650's, HD800's, the Grado PS1000's, and the Beyer T1's, etc...).

Peace, 

Lee

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #1,589 of 2,110
Not sure if that was posted already but doctorhead.ru has some measurements for the Ed 10. I hope that was with the old pads
eek.gif

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #1,590 of 2,110
Wow...  That makes SR325is look like SE530s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back