Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Feb 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #1,486 of 2,110

How many hours do youhave in your Edition 10?
The one I recieved last Friday night are in 24/7 burn-in process. So far what I have listened is better than the first pair I got but stil there is somthing that make them sound unnatural. i am not going to make my final desicion until they have at least 500 hours.

Well I am still using the one I bought before Christmas, only that the earpads are changed, so it must be well past the 500 hours mark now. Yes on some bad recordings you still hear strange things but the range of music which sounds good in them has increased significantly. The guy who did the repair also confirmed that these need even more burn in time than the previous Ultrasones and he is not the first one who told me that. So I guess 600 hours is a safer threshold before you make any decision.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #1,487 of 2,110

Quote:

Not sure what is meant by bit perfect but I thought all digital connections are supposed to be that? I am just using a crappy spdif cable at the moment but would probably change it to Wireworld. I have an Audioquest USB cable but the Esoteric supports only up to 96/24 on USB, but 192/24 on spdif, coaxial and AES. Will certainly work on the power though.

Oh no, not at all, and most importantly USB to SPDIF conversion is a very jitter-prone process with dramatic impact on SQ before it even hits your DAC circuitry in the E07.  I ran into the same problem with my Antelope Zodiac+ DAC.  At first I tried to solve the problem with the HiFace, but ran into various driver problems, so I had to spring for a Sonicweld Sonic Diverter, which was much more expensive, but worked like a charm with native Mac drivers.   The following review describes the this in greater detail, just FYI:  http://hometheaterreview.com/sonicweld-diverter-usb-to-spdif-converter-reviewed/  

Your Edition 10s will thank you..
atsmile.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #1,488 of 2,110

Oh no, not at all, and most importantly USB to SPDIF conversion is a very jitter-prone process with dramatic impact on SQ before it even hits your DAC circuitry in the E07.  I ran into the same problem with my Antelope Zodiac+ DAC.  At first I tried to solve the problem with the HiFace, but ran into various driver problems, so I had to spring for a Sonicweld Sonic Diverter, which was much more expensive, but worked like a charm with native Mac drivers.   The following review describes the this in greater detail, just FYI:  http://hometheaterreview.com/sonicweld-diverter-usb-to-spdif-converter-reviewed/  

Your Edition 10s will thank you..
atsmile.gif

But why would I need to convert USB to spdif if my laptop has an spdif out?

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #1,490 of 2,110

If it has re-clocked and dejittered output, you wouldn't.  I'm not aware of any laptop that has that but that doesn't mean a lot.

For that I think you need an RME sound card with the clock module but that would be in a desktop which creates a new bunch of problems relating to noise. Not sure adding a convertor in between would actually resolve or add to the jitter and the Esoteric already has it's own independently powered circuit and if necessary, a very expensive word clock to handle those. And why would the USB out not have the same problem before it enters the convertor to begin with? Not trying to argue here, just hoping to learn more. I actually did an A/B between the USB via AQ USB cable and Spdif out connected to the dac's spdif input using the crappy spdif cable, using the same 96/24 track. I seldom do these tests as I prefer just enjoying music, but since it is just a couple of mouse clicks and pressing a button on the DAC I decided to try it out. The spdif has a clear upper hand on the same track. Not to mention that the USB doesn't support 192/24 while the spdif does. These results may of course vary based on the cables or DACs usedbut I think I will stick to the spdif for now. Like you said, however, I am in need of some good power filter and power cables - any suggestions are much welcome.

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,491 of 2,110

Quote:

For that I think you need an RME sound card with the clock module but that would be in a desktop which creates a new bunch of problems relating to noise. Not sure adding a convertor in between would actually resolve or add to the jitter and the Esoteric already has it's own independently powered circuit and if necessary, a very expensive word clock to handle those. And why would the USB out not have the same problem before it enters the convertor to begin with? Not trying to argue here, just hoping to learn more. I actually did an A/B between the USB via AQ USB cable and Spdif out connected to the dac's spdif input using the crappy spdif cable, using the same 96/24 track. I seldom do these tests as I prefer just enjoying music, but since it is just a couple of mouse clicks and pressing a button on the DAC I decided to try it out. The spdif has a clear upper hand on the same track. Not to mention that the USB doesn't support 192/24 while the spdif does. These results may of course vary based on the cables or DACs usedbut I think I will stick to the spdif for now. Like you said, however, I am in need of some good power filter and power cables - any suggestions are much welcome.

Sure, you should use what make sense for your setup the most.

I use Whiplash "Raven" power cables on all my equipment with good results.  http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/power-cables/raven-power-cable.html  As far as power conditioner, I was able to purchase one of the last, now discontinued PS Audio Power Plant Premier AC Regenerators for relatively cheaply and you may still find one of these as a demo.  The new model is even more expensive, so these are a bargain.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #1,493 of 2,110

Quote:
I wonder how the new ones sound against a LCD-2....hmmm

Jose, I will see soon....

They are still in the burn-in process. As of right now they have 112 hours. I have been quiet becasue I want to give them a fair chance with a long burn-in (as other have mention here they require) before comparing them to the rest in my collection. My biggest issue is going to be to justify the extra $1,000 plus compared to the rest. Are they going to be that much better? I know the law of diminishing returns may apply here but at least they need to be X% better.

I can tell you right now they are going to have a tough time against my HE-6 setup. We will see.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 10, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #1,494 of 2,110
I have just received my Ultrasone Edition 10 from my local distributor after the ear pad change. The ear pad feels more consistent in foam density than the previous one. I have to agree with the other head-fiers who have received their pads that the new pads feels more comfortable. As for the sound, I tried some rock tracks that were unlistenable due to a problem in the high mids and low treble region (around 2kHz) which causes the cymbals to sound distorted and excessive sibilance. The new pads solved the cymbal problem and lessen the excessive sibilance (although in poorly mastered tracks, this problem cannot be solve entirely).

The new pads also improved the bass by quite a bit. The mids are somewhat also clearer due to the lack of distortions in other bands. I will continue my listening and will report if I discover any new findings. I am quite surprised that the ear pad change can cause such a profound change in the frequency reponse of the Edition 10. Now, IMHO the Edition 10 can now be ranked among the top-tier dynamic earphones.

However, for best value, I think the orthos are still hard to beat. Looking forward to a review of the HE-6, LCD-2 and the Edition 10. Thank you and have a nice day ahead! 

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #1,495 of 2,110

Quote:
I have just received my Ultrasone Edition 10 from my local distributor after the ear pad change. The ear pad feels more consistent in foam density than the previous one. I have to agree with the other head-fiers who have received their pads that the new pads feels more comfortable. As for the sound, I tried some rock tracks that were unlistenable due to a problem in the high mids and low treble region (around 2kHz) which causes the cymbals to sound distorted and excessive sibilance. The new pads solved the cymbal problem and lessen the excessive sibilance (although in poorly mastered tracks, this problem cannot be solve entirely).

The new pads also improved the bass by quite a bit. The mids are somewhat also clearer due to the lack of distortions in other bands. I will continue my listening and will report if I discover any new findings. I am quite surprised that the ear pad change can cause such a profound change in the frequency reponse of the Edition 10. Now, IMHO the Edition 10 can now be ranked among the top-tier dynamic earphones.

However, for best value, I think the orthos are still hard to beat. Looking forward to a review of the HE-6, LCD-2 and the Edition 10. Thank you and have a nice day ahead! 

Way cool, thanks for the update.  I guess the presentation edge and the limited edition prestige of the Ed10 has to account for something.  I think I have to finally bit the bullet and get a HE6 to have a clue why everyone is so ga-ga about them, even though I dislike heavy cans...

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #1,496 of 2,110
"I think I have to finally bit the bullet and get a HE6"

It's about time! What took you so long to figure this out? Geeeeez Laszlo.

Or if you want, I'll loan you mine for a couple of weeks. Whatever you prefer. Mine will be available after 2/20/11 as they will be at a mini meet in my area.

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #1,497 of 2,110

Quote:

Or if you want, I'll loan you mine for a couple of weeks. Whatever you prefer. Mine will be available after 2/20/11 as they will be at a mini meet in my area.

Unfortunately, I've been sick and still not doing too well and also been preoccupied with the Edition 10 issue.  Only one pair at a time I can focus on, my friend.  Anyway, appreciate your generous offer, I'll let you know.  Sent Fang an email as well as asked for a quote for a TWag V2 cable from Craig.  I should know more in a day or two.

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,499 of 2,110

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, I've been sick and still not doing too well and also been preoccupied with the Edition 10 issue.  Only one pair at a time I can focus on, my friend.  Anyway, appreciate your generous offer, I'll let you know.  Sent Fang an email as well as asked for a quote for a TWag V2 cable from Craig.  I should know more in a day or two.

Lazlo I think you will be happy with the HE^. It grows on me more and more and honestly the cable Fang sending with them is very nice. Its light and OCC copper and sound great IMO. I feel no reason to upgrade the cable. It will sing pretty with the Cary and you may want to see if it will work ff the headphone jack of the Cary as I would be interested to know that. It is a great headphone and different from the loaner ones we had.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #1,500 of 2,110
The new ear pads really did improve the performance of the Edition 10 by quite a margin. IMO, there is a 20% to 50% improvement in terms of sound quality as compared to the Edition 10 with defective ear pads. From my short listening experience since I received the Edition 10 with new ear pads, I can say that classical and acoustical music has the least improvement as the Edition 10 already sounded very good for those genres. Pop and rock music has the most improvement in terms of music quality. More details are revealed than before. Cymbals improved the most from the ear pad change, followed closely by vocals and the bass. I reckoned that the Edition 10 does reveal the faults of badly mastering recordings quite clearly.

Another area that improves is the so-called S-logic sound, which many dismiss as a marketing gimmick. For those who are familiar with Ultrasone phones will find that the S-logic is more noticeable with new ear pads. It gives a more 3D effect to the sound scape, closer to that experienced in speakers. You can pinpoint the local of the various instruments in a 3D space (with depth and width) rather than in a straight line extending from left to right. Before the ear pad change, the sound seems to be positioned from left to right in a straight line. The superior clarity from the new ear pads also allows the instruments to be easily identified and takes its unique position in the sound scape. Maybe those with Edition 10 can verify that. Have a pleasant day ahead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back