Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Jan 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #1,051 of 2,110

Quote:
Quote:
I can't comment on the Sovtek and Leben combo...but I would not have kept my amp if I only used Sovtek tubes. Bloated, fat and sloppy bass that bleed into the mids...just a mess. Now with a good NOS Sylvania or GE-5 Star or a new issue Genalex Gold...an amazingly tight and musical amp.

I wasn't that brutal but it sounded kind of as above. Good there is a simple and not so costly solution to upgrade the Leben.

Sorry, but to confirm, my bloated comments were in regards with the new issue Sovteks with my MAD Ear+HD tube amp. YMMV of course.

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #1,053 of 2,110
It would seem there hasn't been much change in the peak in the treble response. If that is the case, then there isn't much to report. If it magically goes away great, but that doesn't seem to be what is happening and I don't see using equalization as a valid method for a phone costing 2700 dollars. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #1,054 of 2,110
Yeah...I've basically come to the realization that the treble anomalies are not going away. It's a shame. So many great qualities, but the treble is fatally flawed, IMO, given the price of the headphone. Some songs will sound absolutely glorious...but then others will be a downer due to the treble peak giving a metallic edge to that range.

I'm at around 200 hours burn in. Still running them 24 hours a day.

I'm going to keep them, but in all honesty they aren't likely to get a lot of head time.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,055 of 2,110
I wonder how the ED10 would sound out of the ATH-HA5000, that may be the amp to tame it like it does for the W5000.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #1,056 of 2,110

Quote:
It's a shame. So many great qualities, but the treble is fatally flawed ...

The bass is imperfect, too, IMO.  Bass notes are hard to wrestle out of most instruments, and the best bass playing reflects that physical struggle.  You can hear strong hands on fretboards, etc.  But not with the Ed10.  It seems to replace the bass line with a spooky Twilight Zone-type replica, perfect in every way ... until you realize something's missing ... you're getting rounded and rubbery fakes, instead of the real thing.

I can't figure out how with a single driver you can get three bands of performance that vary so much.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #1,058 of 2,110
For me the answer is easy
NO ! :p 

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #1,060 of 2,110
I did a trial with pop and rock music with the Edition 10 today. The cymbals sounded quite metallic and heavy on the Burson HA-160. The voicing of the Edition did not do any justice to rock or pop music. Even on my desktop audio system with the Nuforce Icon and John Blue JB3 speakers, which cost only a quarter of the Edition 10, the cymbals sounded far more natural. 

However, with classical music it is a very different story. The various instruments such as violins and flutes and even higher pitched instruments such as the harp sounded excellent and IMHO the violins are the most natural that I heard in any headphones that I tried. I suppose at this point of time, since my main genre is classical music, it had fulfilled most of my expectations. But, they still fall far short of audio perfection.

I am hoping to improve the system by trying different headphone amplifiers. I suppose as grokit recommended the AT HA5000 seems to be a direction to go. I am still waiting for the Yamamoto HA-02 to arrive at a local dealer, so that I could test it. I have a hunch that it might help in helping to control the treble. Only time will tell. Have a nice day ahead!

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #1,061 of 2,110

Quote:
DavidMahler - yes the Edition 8 is better because it has no such a big flaw like the Edition 10.

At this point I would have to agree with this, for the exact reason stated.  I really enjoy listening to the Edition 8.  The Edition 10 is more frustrating than enjoyable, at this point.

Quote:
I did a trial with pop and rock music with the Edition 10 today. The cymbals sounded quite metallic and heavy on the Burson HA-160. The voicing of the Edition did not do any justice to rock or pop music. Even on my desktop audio system with the Nuforce Icon and John Blue JB3 speakers, which cost only a quarter of the Edition 10, the cymbals sounded far more natural. 

However, with classical music it is a very different story. The various instruments such as violins and flutes and even higher pitched instruments such as the harp sounded excellent and IMHO the violins are the most natural that I heard in any headphones that I tried. I suppose at this point of time, since my main genre is classical music, it had fulfilled most of my expectations. But, they still fall far short of audio perfection.

My experience has also been similar to this.  It's mostly rock (which is mostly what I listen to) that is problematic on the Edition 10.  The classical pieces I played sounded terrific.  But rock and some jazz cymbals really stick out oddly and annoyingly on the Edition 10. 

I'm going to burn them in for 200 more hours and then see what's up. Since I have so many other good headphones to compare them to, I am confident that if I find any change, it will not be due to my "adjusting" to their sound, as they will get compared to the R10, LCD-2, T1, HD800, HE-6...

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #1,062 of 2,110
I happened to listen to a pair of brandnew ed10s for a while today, and realized what you said about their good bass, mids, and sibilance in highs. From what I had experienced with ed8s, the best ear position in earcup may be like that shows in graph:
As for sibilance, it seemed that remain constant wherever my ear positioned.

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #1,064 of 2,110
I need something really good to compensate my less-than-satisfactory experience with my first headphone purchase (the ED10). Should it be HD800, LCD2 or T1? With my Leben, which of these would sound better? I heard it would be LCD2 but there is some wait time involved. For T1 andd HD800 I can buy them right away (need to wait for cable for HD800 though, if I order the Deus which seems to be recommended by many of you). However I am still using Hifiman as a source, so should I buy:

1. CD Player (probably the Cary one with selectable solid state / tube out with Esoteric transport)
2. HD800
3. LCD2 (despite the wait)
4. T1

Which of the above would compensate my experience and fill me with joy (remember to take into account my Leben amp)? Many thanks.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #1,065 of 2,110
Of those headphones, the LCD-2 will for sure sound best with the Leben, IMHO. Worth the wait :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back