Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Jan 4, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #991 of 2,110

Quote:

Are there any differences between Woo5 and RudiStor, or you didn’t compared them with E10?
After 400 hours will be better, but they are in an Grado RS-1 style. Not mild. 

I have not made a significant comparison of the Ed10 with the Woo against the Rudi yet but it is in my "to do" list.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #992 of 2,110

Quote:
EQ is not a viable option for me, but that might work for the computer-as-source crowd.

There is hardware equalizers. Anyone with access to one do come back :)

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #995 of 2,110
I am now using the Kharma STS burn-in CD to run in the ED10. This is the ultimate weapon and must be handled with care. Will let you guys know the results.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #996 of 2,110
Quote:
If a buyer feels compelled to EQ a 2500 dollar headphone due to the headphone's character and not the song's bad mixing, then i feel very bad for the buyer

I happen to think you are quite lucky if you can find a 'phone that never needs any EQing, at any price.

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #997 of 2,110

Quote:
If a buyer feels compelled to EQ a 2500 dollar headphone due to the headphone's character and not the song's bad mixing, then i feel very bad for the buyer

I totally agree. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #998 of 2,110
Why why why does every headphone have to have treble boost?  It's like selling humidifiers in the rainforest.  Or Subaru turning their one of a kind Legacy into yet another SUV...

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #999 of 2,110
In my quest for a better tube-based headphone amp, I went to audition the Leben CS 300XS at a local showroom today. Honestly, I find the Leben to be rather capable at driving speakers but with the Edition 10, it is another story. The Edition 10 sounded quite sibilant and the treble appears to be too bright with the Leben. I find that the Edition 10 and Leben don't go too well together. I will be auditioning the Yamamoto HA-02 next. Does anybody with Edition 10 have any experience with the Yammy? Please share your thoughts. Thank you and have a pleasant day ahead!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #1,000 of 2,110

Quote:

Why so? Have you ever listened to a perfect headphone that has absolutely nothing you don´t want fixed in the FR response? 

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #1,002 of 2,110

Quote:

Agree 100%, and I won't do it.

Quote:
In my quest for a better tube-based headphone amp, I went to audition the Leben CS 300XS at a local showroom today. Honestly, I find the Leben to be rather capable at driving speakers but with the Edition 10, it is another story. The Edition 10 sounded quite sibilant and the treble appears to be too bright with the Leben. I find that the Edition 10 and Leben don't go too well together. I will be auditioning the Yamamoto HA-02 next. Does anybody with Edition 10 have any experience with the Yammy? Please share your thoughts. Thank you and have a pleasant day ahead!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Leben is NOT a "tubey" sounding amp - it's very neutral.  It's not going to hide the brightness of the Edition 10.  And IMO, it indeed does not.  The Yammy has the rep as being a very tubey sounding amp.  That might work well with the Ed 10. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #1,003 of 2,110

Quote:
The Leben is NOT a "tubey" sounding amp - it's very neutral.  It's not going to hide the brightness of the Edition 10.  And IMO, it indeed does not.  The Yammy has the rep as being a very tubey sounding amp.  That might work well with the Ed 10. 

I don't know which version you are talking about but the CS300XS is far from neutrality. It's an "amber and gold" kind of presentation with a bit of rambling. There is an amphasize on high bass even in the 0dB bass boost position, and the higher treble is practically non-existent. The rest of highs is of amber hue. The sound is lacking in terms of coherence and impression of true performance. This is what I abserved in direct comparison to two of my amps, using the Beyerdynamic T1, Sennheiser HD800 and Audio-Technica ATH-W5000. Source: ayon CD-2, cables: Vovox Textura RCA or DIY Conducfil 8896, audiophile grade extension and power cords.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #1,004 of 2,110

Quote:

... the CS300XS is far from neutrality. It's an "amber and gold" kind of presentation with a bit of rambling. There is an amphasize on high bass even in the 0dB bass boost position, and the higher treble is practically non-existent. The rest of highs is of amber hue. The sound is lacking in terms of coherence and impression of true performance. 

I don't even remotely agree with this at all.  Frankly, it reads like you're influenced by the Leben's cosmetic color scheme.  If it had an aluminum faceplate and side cheeks you'd probably say it sounded steely.

One's impression of neutrality depends on what one is used to, of course, but after 40+ years in this hobby, my overall frame of reference says the Leben is inherently dead-on neutral.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #1,005 of 2,110

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know which version you are talking about but the CS300XS is far from neutrality. It's an "amber and gold" kind of presentation with a bit of rambling. There is an amphasize on high bass even in the 0dB bass boost position, and the higher treble is practically non-existent. The rest of highs is of amber hue. The sound is lacking in terms of coherence and impression of true performance. This is what I abserved in direct comparison to two of my amps, using the Beyerdynamic T1, Sennheiser HD800 and Audio-Technica ATH-W5000. Source: ayon CD-2, cables: Vovox Textura RCA or DIY Conducfil 8896, audiophile grade extension and power cords.

That is your opinion - mine is very different. And I also have a lot of expensive sources, headphones, and other amps to make the comparison with, just like you
wink_face.gif
  I'm not the only one who feels this way about the Leben.  You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but how was it formed?  Have you actually owned a Leben?  Or this was based on a short comparison? 

But what Dynamic74 observed more supports my view of the amp than yours, as it relates to the Edition 10, if you read his comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back