Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Dec 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #766 of 2,110
Hi,
I'm fairly new to Head-fi.org and am finding it fascinating reading and a very useful reference tool.
I thought that I would let you know that I'm based in the UK and have just taken delivery of my Edition 10's.
My first thoughts are wow! These really are special! I own a few high end 'phones and the Edition 10's take a few positives from each of my collection and roll it into one.
I must admit to hearing the initial high treble but feel that this may tail off after more hours of use. The 10's also need a good source to listen from that is for sure.
So, for those of you who are waiting for your delivery or about to order one - have no fear - apart from the price! You will be very happy with your purchase.
I look forward to reading more of all your thoughts about this headphone and of others in other threads.
Everyone, keep up the good work and input. You really do help a great deal when one needs help and recommendations on our next purchases.
I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year!

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #767 of 2,110
Way to make a splash, receiving the Edition 10 for your first post! Welcome to Head-fi and Merry Christmas to you.

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #768 of 2,110

Quote:
Exciting snippets, Ms. Face ... hope to have my own soon.  I just walked back into my building after lunch and the doorman handed me two packages ... one was UPS from Newark.com - some special-order Volex 12" and 18" power cords to neaten up the back of my rack - and the other was FedEx from TTVJ - my Edition 10s at last.

But naturally I'm buried under family for the next three days, so down time will be non-existent.  So it goes.

And WRT to payment info earlier in this thread: Todd at TTVJ did not charge my card until Tuesday, when he was ready to ship.  It's a pleasure doing business with that guy.

Congrats to both you and Muppetface on the timely arrival of your new toy.  Way to make Christmas special.  X2 on Todd Green (a.k.a. "Todd The Vinyl Junkie"); he is without a doutb  one of the best people you could hope to do business with in the trade.  

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #769 of 2,110
merry chirsmas and congrat Muppetface and zen97192.Nice to hear you both like the ED10

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #770 of 2,110
I just escaped the festivities for an hour and headed down to my office, where the Ed10s awaited.  Initial impressions: much smaller and much lighter than photographs suggest.  Beautifully made.  Quite acceptable in terms of bling.  Not sure what people mean about the placement issue - where the HD800s have roughly D-shaped cups measuring a max 3 1/4" by 2 3/4", the Ed10s have circular cups with a 2 1/4" inside diameter.  My ears are normal sized (I think) and there's no latitude for adjusting position.  None at all.  They sit where they sit.

All I have in the office right now is a Bryston CDP and a Phonitor, and I heard an even, extended balance, no sibilance, and no undue treble emphasis (but then, I love the HD800s, so calibrate that remark as you wish.)  Bass is weighty, but nimble and articulate.  Detail seems excellent.  General ambience seems light and ethereal, and the soundstage is cavernous (with the Phonitor's crossfeed switched out.)

No question that they pass the initial love it/hate it test ... more later.

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #771 of 2,110
Same here - finally unboxed them, and got about 30 minutes head time. Totally agree, much smaller than the pics have made them seem. Earcups are smaller than the LCD-2. VERY light and comfortable. All I can say for the time being is that the sound seemed to be very good. Now some break in.

Dec 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #772 of 2,110
The Edition 10 seriously puts other headphones to shame in terms of comfort. I forget I'm even wearing them after a while.

Describing these as "ethereal" is pretty spot-on. They're light and airy, but at the same time very impactful with tremendous bass when called for. I think that's part of what makes the Edition 10 a really great headphone: it's a marriage of different qualities one might not expect to see together elsewhere.

Airy and yet hard-hitting. Analytic yet euphonic.

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #773 of 2,110
Update: I thought all I had in the office was a Phonitor, but I went to put something away and found a Violectric V200 in a cupboard.  Much better with the Ed10 - tremendous bass drive, silkier treble.  I'm resisting a rush to judgement, but it's clear the Ed10 is a major player.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #774 of 2,110
Thanks for the impression, InnerSpace, this headphone is sounding pretty intriguing.  And I wish I found amps laying around in the cupboard! 
wink.gif
 May I ask what you prefer to use with the Phonitor?  I've had my eye on it. Cheers, and Happy Holidays to all!

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #775 of 2,110

Quote:
May I ask what you prefer to use with the Phonitor?  I've had my eye on it. Cheers, and Happy Holidays to all!

I got the Phonitor to mess around with the crossfeed functions with my HD800s.  As far as crossfeed goes, it's intriguing, because it has separated timing delay, as well as mix level, with adjustable center level.  Best illusion I've heard - you can "construct" the soundstage you want.  You can really bend it and shape it.

As an amp, it's hyper-competent in a post-modern German way - very clean, very precise.  It's maybe a tiny bit "tinselly" on top - but not bright, really - and I wouldn't argue with anyone who heard "very clean" as "soulless" ... just like I wouldn't argue with anyone who heard "soulless" as "uncolored."  By contrast the Violectric V200 definitely steps out of the current German mainstream, by being self-consciously warmer and more euphonic.  It's based on the old Nakamichi Dragon monitoring circuit.  The other Violectrics are much more like the Phonitor.

But the Phonitor is in the office and the Violectric was in a cupboard for a reason - for me anyway, on an emotional level they can't compete with my tube amps.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #776 of 2,110
Which Violectric are you using? Does it go with the Vioectric 800 DAC? Many thanks.

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #777 of 2,110

Quote:
Which Violectric are you using? Does it go with the Vioectric 800 DAC? Many thanks.

Scroll back up the page a bit...

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #778 of 2,110
He said the V200 which is the one I have. IMO it's a great little amplifier very musical and considering its price I think a bargain. Yes it does match well with the V800. There is a member in California that has both and thinks they are great. I am receiving my Edition 10 Tuesday and will report on them after burning using my 3 amplifiers (WA5-LE fully loaded, RP010B MkII and V200).

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 27, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #780 of 2,110
I use the V200 with my Ed8 LE and DX1000.  Works really well, very warm, a good contrast to the Zana Deux/HD800.  Sounds like it may be a good match with the ED-10 which is on my shortlist, just hope i can swing it before the limited is limited out.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back