Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
May 14, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #1,876 of 2,110
I just tried the Accuphase Special Sound Selection SACD that came as a gift for my Esoteric K-01 purchase. Mainly music from classical pieces and also some jazz and drum tracks. Sounds absolutely astounding on the Ultrasone ED10 . This is one of the few CDs on which the ED10 beats the LCD-2 hands down. Still quite behind my speaker system, but overall the ED10 does a wonderful job in reproducing such good source.

May 14, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #1,877 of 2,110
This is the SACD - the autograph on it is allegedly the signature of S. Saito, some senior folk from Accuphase. Strange they gave it as a gift to me although I don't own any Accuphase gear - just happens that the distributor of Esoteric in Hong Kong is also the distributor for Accpuhase. That's why I could audition the Accuphase C-3800 with the Esoteric K-01 earlier.

May 14, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #1,878 of 2,110
I wonder whether this Accuphase SACD is an original DSD, hgh-rez PCM or analog recording. My impression so far is that the Ed 10 shines the brightest on recordings with an extended frequency range, which should be even more pronounced with the K-01 as the source...

Quote:
I just tried the Accuphase Special Sound Selection SACD that came as a gift for my Esoteric K-01 purchase. Mainly music from classical pieces and also some jazz and drum tracks. Sounds absolutely astounding on the Ultrasone ED10 . This is one of the few CDs on which the ED10 beats the LCD-2 hands down. Still quite behind my speaker system, but overall the ED10 does a wonderful job in reproducing such good source.

May 15, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #1,879 of 2,110
Yesterday we had Ultrasone Edtion 10 on our meet in Prague, it was borrowed from local distributor.
Many people tried them on different rigs, most high end rig was EmmLabs CDSD SE/DAC6e SE with Leben CS300. Most people hated them for boosted, sharp, unnatural highs and weird coloration on mids. Few poeple liked them, said they are on same level as HD800, but killer here is price. No one is willing to spend twice as much money for headphones which doesnt offer any upgrade, just change in sound signature.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 15, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #1,880 of 2,110
There seems to be a "partial" consensus here the Ed 10 is at least very revealing of the qualities and deficiencies of recordings. In my personal view, they were not meant for low-rez electronic material, which usually suffers from heavy compression and Eq. So, without further info on the kind of music being used, the impressions from your meet seem somewhat out of context.

Quote:
Yesterday we had Ultrasone Edtion 10 on our meet in Prague, it was borrowed from local distributor.
Many people tried them on different rigs, most high end rig was EmmLabs CDSD SE/DAC6e SE with Leben CS300. Most people hated them for boosted, sharp, unnatural highs and weird coloration on mids. Few poeple liked them, said they are on same level as HD800, but killer here is price. No one is willing to spend twice as much money for headphones which doesnt offer any upgrade, just change in sound signature.

May 15, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #1,881 of 2,110

Quote:

Amen Bina amen!
You are confirming the opinion of some members here including me. 

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #1,882 of 2,110
No matter the source, I think your still going to be stuck with the fact that these phones have a pretty bright demeanor to them that some people will not like.  

May 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #1,884 of 2,110
If enjoying the Ed 10's transparent and detailed presentation of high-rez PCM and DSD recordings is defined as getting stuck, then consider me voluntarily stuck for good. The funny thing though is that I had the HD-800 for evaluation but just couldn't get stuck on their demeanor with classical SACDs, in spite of the favorable price differential. Some people will not like the former, while others may dislike the latter. It's simply a matter of personal preference, not of ideology...

Quote:
No matter the source, I think your still going to be stuck with the fact that these phones have a pretty bright demeanor to them that some people will not like.  

May 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,885 of 2,110
Just thought I'd share this here to warn potential purveyors of a possible con-job going on eBay.

I came across a listing the other day for a pair of Ed10s up for Auction starting at $54 (???). The starting price was already pretty strange... Why bother starting so low right? The listing's taken down already so I can't link it. The store's "Lite Store" I think.. the email addy's litestore@live.com. Supposedly based in the UK. Pretty decent feedback score that runs into the 1000s.

Anyway, in the listing, it was mentioned in pretty bad english that the "Last Price" (Buy it Now Price?) was $1500, but interested parties had to drop them an email. Naturally I was piqued, and contacted them. Reply below:

Hello,
The buy it now price is $1,500. Transaction will be handled by ebay, so we can both be protected and able to exchange feedback after transaction is successfully closed!
I will offer a 5 day inspection period for the item, so if by any reason you are not satisfied with it, you can return it against a full refund!
If you do want the deal, just please email me your ebay username, full name and full shipping address and I will start the transaction under ebay. You will be after contacted by them with further instructions on how to complete this sale.

Thank you

Naturally I gave them my eBay username (I won't get hacked will i? >..<) as its truly a deal too good to be true...

Within 5mins I received an email from "eBay" (payments@paypal.info). The email addy's already fishy... but the contents even more so... :

Hi XXXXXX,

The total for your item below is US $1,500.00

[size=x-small][/size]

[size=x-small]
350461439601.jpg
[/size]
[size=10pt] Ultrasone Edition 10 Headphones Edition10‏ [/size]
[size=10pt] [size=10pt]Sale price:[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=10pt] US $1,500.00[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] Estimated delivery:[/size][size=10pt]  Varies (Seller ships within 2 days)[/size]
[size=10pt] Shipping & Handling:[/size] [size=10pt] UPS 2nd Day Air  
icon_usps_25x16.gif

Free + US $10.00 Insurance-Included
[/size]

[size=x-small]Transaction ID:   350461439601
Amount:   US $1,500.00 
Qty:   1
[/size]

[size=x-small]
icon_note_16x16.gif
pixel.gif
Note to buyer 
Please let me know when you can send the payment ! 

*Payment Instructions:
Locate the nearest 
[size=x-small]WesternUnion Office[/size], go to one of them and send the money in cash.
Make the payment with cash (US $1,500.00) to the eBay Seller: Anna Caldrige

Western Union Payment Address:
Name: Anna Caldrige
City: Manchester

*NOTE:
  Sending the payment by any other method will void this transaction !
             (Deduct Western Union fee from the total amount and send the balance)

*Confirm your payment details to the seller : 
sale2002@live.com
"The following information must be readable"
1.MTCN Number  -  10 digit numbers from the payment receipt;
2.Sender's Full Name and Address on file with WesternUnion;
3.Receiver's Full Name (Anna Caldrige);
4.Amount sent & eBay Item Title.

imgGuarantee_footer.gif

Pay with WesternUnion. 
It's the easy and fast way to pay for this item, and it lets you shop
without sharing your financial details with sellers.Offers up to $2,000.00 purchase
protection on qualified eBay purchases. 

To ask for a refund, simply reply to this notification and enter in the subject line:
Refund request for eBay Transaction # 350461439601.
Thank you,
eBay
[/size]

I was already surprised that they could get eBay to send me an invoice without me clicking on any purchases... Isn't it binding and has to be done by the buyer only? I got suspicious the moment I saw that I had to pay "in cash" through Western Union. Needless to say, I contacted the store, asking if its possible to pay through Paypal instead (still hoping to have found such a good deal... greedy me...). Their reply was:

I cannot use Paypal for large amount of money.

Thanks

Duh. Furthermore, a check on my eBay account didn't reveal any invoices. The listing was removed within 5 mins of my last conversation with them. 

Hopefully this will be useful to bros and sis on the forum. Perhaps Mods can find a better place for this to be shared too? Ah well... no Ed10s to try out cheap. Guess I'll continue being happy with my Ed8s :)

Cheers,
Justus

*Edit*

Ah I went back and did a search after I posted this and I found a SIMILAR listing but this time from Australia! (But everything else is in German?) Good luck with those bidding on it~ Just don't try to deal on that $1500 offer!

May 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #1,886 of 2,110

Quote:
There seems to be a "partial" consensus here the Ed 10 is at least very revealing of the qualities and deficiencies of recordings. In my personal view, they were not meant for low-rez electronic material, which usually suffers from heavy compression and Eq. So, without further info on the kind of music being used, the impressions from your meet seem somewhat out of context.

They were used by more then 30 people, mostly experienced hi-fi enthusiast, on high end rigs. Music was mostly Jazz, Classical and some other thins like eagles and queen. Both in CD quality and SACD. If they are bad on 99% of music, they are just bad. 

I really think your approach that you are only one who can really understand Edition 10 because you listen only to high rez, high quality classical music is quite arrogant.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 15, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #1,887 of 2,110
Your apparently limited command of the English language is no excuse to distort what you cannot comprehend. It would be wise of you to think twice before posting presumptions, vis-à-vis your inability to distinguish between blatantly different concepts. What I have clearly stated on a number of occasions is that the Ed 10 seems to have been voiced specifically for high resolution acoustic material, as opposed to low-rez electronic or even old analog transfers. Your belligerent interpretation simply betrays your own arrogant predisposition and rather simplistic views.

Quote:

[...] I really think your approach that you are only one who can really understand Edition 10 because you listen only to high rez, high quality classical music is quite arrogant.

May 15, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #1,888 of 2,110
My apologies for my poor choice of words.  I think they are a bit bright and overall they sound kind of "hollow" to me and I'm not a big fan, as I am sure others will not be, and for that matter some will be.  I am listening to some high res files provided to me by a friend and its not really much different, I'm not saying its not better, but the overall characteristics are still there.  Again, sorry.

Quote:
If enjoying the Ed 10's transparent and detailed presentation of high-rez PCM and DSD recordings is defined as getting stuck, then consider me voluntarily stuck for good. The funny thing though is that I had the HD-800 for evaluation but just couldn't get stuck on their demeanor with classical SACDs, in spite of the favorable price differential. Some people will not like the former, while others may dislike the latter. It's simply a matter of personal preference, not of ideology...

May 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #1,889 of 2,110
Quote:
Just thought I'd share this here to warn potential purveyors of a possible con-job going on eBay.

I came across a listing the other day for a pair of Ed10s up for Auction starting at $54 (???). The starting price was already pretty strange... Why bother starting so low right? The listing's taken down already so I can't link it. The store's "Lite Store" I think.. the email addy's litestore@live.com. Supposedly based in the UK. Pretty decent feedback score that runs into the 1000s.

Anyway, in the listing, it was mentioned in pretty bad english that the "Last Price" (Buy it Now Price?) was $1500, but interested parties had to drop them an email. Naturally I was piqued, and contacted them. Reply below:

Hello,
The buy it now price is $1,500.[...]If you do want the deal, just please email me your ebay username, full name and full shipping address and I will start the transaction under ebay. You will be after contacted by them with further instructions on how to complete this sale.

I was already surprised that they could get eBay to send me an invoice without me clicking on any purchases... Isn't it binding and has to be done by the buyer only? I got suspicious the moment I saw that I had to pay "in cash" through Western Union. Needless to say, I contacted the store, asking if its possible to pay through Paypal instead (still hoping to have found such a good deal... greedy me...). Their reply was:

Ebay does not permit sales to take place outside of their own transaction mechanism. The first sale was probably removed because it violated that term of service. The "Australian" sale will probably be removed shortly as well - the web form embedded within the product description is an attempt to dodge paying Ebay their cut of the proceeds if the items sell and that's the sort of thing Ebay hates the most. There's a "Report Item" link below the Seller Info box where you can notify Ebay.

Even if, hypothetically, the product is legit, the seller's janky as all get-out and the higher the stakes are the less I would risk a good-sounding deal.

BTW: Please edit down your post to remove all the links in the seller's message. Those links are active, and you are allowing anybody to click on them and initiate a transaction with the seller.

May 15, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #1,890 of 2,110
OK, so I'll provide some loose remarks before final words are said and listening sessions finished. First of all, I heard the HD800 from the CS300XS and a few other amps, with very good CD players on hand, i.e. ayon CD-2, CD-07, and saying the HD800 is on the same level as the Ultrasone's sounds like a joke to me. Grado PS1000 are overall better headphones than the HD800 and the Edition 10 with correct pads is even better. There is a shade of the old sonic flaw but the main difference is that my ears get pretty quick adjusted to the Ultrasone sound instead of causing irritation and refusal of what I hear. I helped the headphones a bit upgrading the jack to the Furutech FP-704 but I would say that the "problem" is no longer a problem. The midrange is smooth, full-bodied, sweet and totally controlled on complex orchestral or choir passages. The first pair of the HD800 were falling into a specific frequency flickering effect, kind of rumbling. On the second pair I tried I guess everything was OK but the Edition 10 could be a reference in terms of tone separation while sustaining sound body and weight. Due to this the vocals and instruments obtain such a strong presence that I have never heard from headphones. I fully understood what warp08 was writing about that the whole live performance appeared around him. This is what the Edition 10 can do. warp08 wrote about the recabled pair but it's quite possible that the jack replacement alone provided the same effect together with other headphone setup components. Talking about this I was pretty surprised by the fact that it was crucial to choose the right interconnect. Having three different types around, only one choice hit the spot. While the other two haven't left an impression of inferior quality, they simply delivered sound that didn't make sense, if you know what I mean. It was more like a summary of the music being played back instead of playing back the music and re-creating it. More to come...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back