ULTRASONE EDITION 10 :THE BIG DEAL!!!!!
Feb 22, 2011 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

alota

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello head-fier´s,
i bought the edition 10 and i sent the headphone in lisbon to fit the neutrik 4 pin.
my friend call me and say me that the headphone have only three wires(left, right and one ground
blink.gif
) soldered in the neutrik jack and is not possible the operation.
to balance the ed.10 need to change the cable.
i´m mad.
i have balanced all my headphones:rudistor, grado´s, sennheiser´s and jvc.
edition 10, the most expensive dynamic headphone in the market? no possible
i forgot:i´m very stupid because i read in the box "balanced input ready"
thank you ultrasone
deadhorse.gif

aldo

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
oh man, i am very interesting ed10 ,i want to buy one next month.
how about the sound? i think it must be nice!!!!!!
beyersmile.png

i don´t know
i have only a balanced amplifier, the ultrasone is in the box.
aldo

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 12
i wrote to ultrasone to ask for clarification.
ultrasone told me that the operation is possible.
i don´t agree with the solution of having to open the cable.
apart from the fact that the signal wires look different than the shielding cable.
however, with the others headphones i´ve had(and wich cost less) this has never happened
aldo

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 12
They are using the shiled as one of the ground cables. That's is why they say "Balance ready".
I totally disagree with them. There is no way I would use the shiled for the negative signal in a balance configuration that is very cheap from them in a very expensive set of headphones.

I have a demo pair that I might be selling soon for my dealer.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
i wrote to ultrasone to ask for clarification.
ultrasone told me that the operation is possible.
i don´t agree with the solution of having to open the cable.
apart from the fact that the signal wires look different than the shielding cable.
however, with the others headphones i´ve had(and wich cost less) this has never happened
aldo

That cable is crap anyway and should be replaced.  Ultrasone's definition of "balanced" ready means to share the common ground, which is B.S.  Read my review referenced in the signature block.  There are several Ultrasone Authorized Dealers and Service centers that can recable the phone to whatever termination you wish without voiding the warranty.  At least this is how it is in the US.

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
That cable is crap anyway and should be replaced.  Ultrasone's definition of "balanced" ready means to share the common ground, which is B.S.  Read my review referenced in the signature block.  There are several Ultrasone Authorized Dealers and Service centers that can recable the phone to whatever termination you wish without voiding the warranty.  At least this is how it is in the US.

Quote:
They are using the shiled as one of the ground cables. That's is why they say "Balance ready".
I totally disagree with them. There is no way I would use the shiled for the negative signal in a balance configuration that is very cheap from them in a very expensive set of headphones.

I have a demo pair that I might be selling soon for my dealer.

i agree with you.
balanced mode(or bridge mode)need 4 identical wires
aldo

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

stil i don´t know if  i like the ed.10
for this i don´t waste my money for the rewiring operation.
generally i bought one headphone, my friend put the 4 pin and if i like this headphone, send for rewiring(if the headphone need)
i don´t feel to touch one 2000 euros product
aldo

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
stil i don´t know if  i like the ed.10
for this i don´t waste my money for the rewiring operation.
generally i bought one headphone, my friend put the 4 pin and if i like this headphone, send for rewiring(if the headphone need)
i don´t feel to touch one 2000 euros product
aldo

The Ed10 is very source and amp-sensitive product.  Assuming you got one with the correct (non-defective) earpads.  I would verify that first.  2nd, even with the stock cable in single-ended form, the Ed10 needs up to 500 hours of burn-in to fully open up.  Check the other thread here to see what others say.  The initial reviews in the US were mixed--including mine--because we got a bad batch of them, equipped with faulty earpads which greatly impaired the sound quality.

However, owners with repaired stock units report "world-class" performance.  Recabling is optional, but enhances the quality further.  If you're not happy with it in stock form, you should not invest more money in it.  But if you feel--after burn-in--that it is a keeper, high-quality recabling will definitely enhance the experience, because Ultrasone used a cheap microphone cable.

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 12
mine is used and without pads problem.
at this moment i don´t have unbalanced amplifier, i have only my balanced beta
this month arrive one diy italian project(balanced/unbalanced)
aldo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back