Ultrasone Edition 10 announced!
Oct 12, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #676 of 771

Quote:
 And I only voice my opinion because I think some people may think the cost in the ED10 is primarily for acoustic and/or research, when in fact it is mainly from the use of very expensive parts, at least from what I can see without actually dissecting the ED10 or getting Ultrasone to give me their financial data.

I think a good number people I've seen excited over the Edition 10 have realized that a large chunk of the cost comes from the luxury extras. Just looking at them, it's kind of obvious I think. Thankfully you won't have to go through the trouble of dissecting them or contacting Ultrasone (unless you want to) as impressions should be coming out this month.

I think comparing them to the Edition 8 will go a long way in helping some people to determine whether they should audition these. While the Ed. 8 is closed and meant for portable use, it still stands as one of Ultrasone's most well respected headphones and is the next-most-expensive of their current line up. I know I'd be interested in seeing if they achieve a similar level of performance, but with the added benefits of an open design.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #677 of 771
Yep, what I said was also directed at people criticizing the ED10, because they think, "ed10 price must be about sound quality, but I don't see the sound quality improvements", then complain
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #679 of 771
The edition-10 website states that these are prepared for balanced use.

Does anyone know what this exactly means?

As I saw a common neutrik-jack on a pic, it's perhaps only a indication for a 4-conductor-cable.(?)

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #680 of 771

As I saw a common neutrik-jack on a pic, it's perhaps only a indication for a 4-conductor-cable.(?)

I believe that's what was mentionned during the launch event in Japan (4 conductor cable which can be simply reterminated for balanced operation...

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #681 of 771

Quote:

I've been wondering this myself. The specifications say it has a gold plated plug, so I'm assuming there's a 1/4 involved. My guess (and I hope I'm right) is that there are XLR connectors with an 1/4 adapter. Otherwise, I can't really see what "balanced ready" is supposed to imply.

I'm planning on using them with my WA22, so XLR connectors coming standard would be nice.

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #682 of 771
I think arnaud is right.

On their website, there is a photo with a 1/4"-Neutrik plug.

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #683 of 771

Quote:

I've been wondering this myself. The specifications say it has a gold plated plug, so I'm assuming there's a 1/4 involved. My guess (and I hope I'm right) is that there are XLR connectors with an 1/4 adapter. Otherwise, I can't really see what "balanced ready" is supposed to imply.

I'm planning on using them with my WA22, so XLR connectors coming standard would be nice.

would be nice, but highly improbable. That being said, re-terminating a 4 conductor cable to a 4 pin xlr, or 2 x 3 xlr is as easy as DIY work gets and is very quick to do.

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #684 of 771

Quote:
I believe that's what was mentionned during the launch event in Japan (4 conductor cable which can be simply reterminated for balanced operation...

That must be it becuase the Edition 9 had just 3 conductors. When I was wanting to balanced my Edition 9 I received information from a memebr of the forum that said worked for Ultrasone telling me it was a 4 conductor cable. I cut the plug off to find out the information was not accurate and i tjust has 3 so I had no other choice to send them out for a full re-cable job.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 12, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #685 of 771

Quote:
That must be it becuase the Edition 9 had just 3 conductors. When I was wanting to balanced my Edition 9 I received information from a memebr of the forum that said worked for Ultrasone telling me it was a 4 conductor cable. I cut the plug off to find out the information was not accurate and i tjust has 3 so I had no other choice to send them out for a full re-cable job.

That must have been very disappointing... but you do seem to like to spend your money on cables :p so not too bad!

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #686 of 771
got message from Ultrasone that my ED-10 is already sent , but unfortunately i dont live in Germany so its 50/50 chance that i report something before weekend ,hope somebody get it faster and make impressions

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #687 of 771
If Ultrasone is sending them out now, I'll have to wait for SoundEarphones to get their shipment in, but from there it's overnight to me. I should be getting mine soon, but probably after thinker since he's getting his direct.

My WA22 should be ready sometime this month, so when it arrives I'll be sure to try the Ed. 10 on it in both RCA and balanced mode. I might be borrowing a DX1000 from a friend to include in my comparison too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back