Ultrasone Edition 10 announced!
Aug 10, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #346 of 771
I for one, couldn't stand the 780s mids when compared to a Grado or something smilar. It literally had less than half the mid emphasis of the Grado's. Vocals, guitars etc were soooo recessed.

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #347 of 771
Quote:
I for one, couldn't stand the 780s mids when compared to a Grado or something smilar. It literally had less than half the mid emphasis of the Grado's. Vocals, guitars etc were soooo recessed.

I'm not a guitar person. If any, then a bass guitar. Sometimes I can fall in love with guitar sounds (both, electric and acoustic) but I much prefer violins, clarinets, trumpets and flutes.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #348 of 771

Quote:
I'm not a guitar person. If any, then a bass guitar. Sometimes I can fall in love with guitar sounds (both, electric and acoustic) but I much prefer violins, clarinets, trumpets and flutes.

haha well all i listen to is rock/metal and i couldnt stand the grado sound, though ive only heard the RS1's, seemed to me like entire chunks of the Spectrum were missing, definitely liked the ED8's a ton more...my .02

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #349 of 771

Quote:

That is why the grado's are unblance. Can't stand its emphasised mid. On the other hand , 780 's mid is on the neutral side.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #350 of 771

Quote:
I used to have a relationship with Florian Koenig and Stephanie G. (who works for Ultrasone USA and I heard they are not plying nicely with the bigger boys.) I will e-mail Florian and see if he'll send a pair over for the NYC Fall Meet, and perhaps he'll come for Canjam.

Sovey, does Rudi still sell his products?

Craig at Whiplash Audio is an Ultrasone reseller also.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #351 of 771
Usually these limited editions are not handled by the dealers, but by them directly from Germany, or the main distributor in the country...

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #352 of 771
Now that the sticker shock has worn off a little, maybe I will buy a pair if they are still available come tax refund time. I am really enjoying the Pro 2500, so an open Edition model might be very well to my liking.

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #353 of 771
It's nice to see new headphones with great parts, but Ultrasone has been putting out a lot of these top quality component headphones with not so much emphasis on innovation. If anything they should be improving the cosmetics of their non edition full-sized headphones than making different finishes or decorations on their edition headphones. The butterfly shape and wood pieces are a case in point (unless they can tell me how it improves sound quality). I think it's great they are using such quality parts, but I think they should put less emphasis on that and more on function, and most importantly, do something about that bulky OEM headband for non edition headphones :frowning2:.

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #354 of 771

Quote:
 I do not feel you understand what the Edition 10 is all about mate.

These headphones would be exclusive in design and numbers.
A headphone hobbyist with money would definitlely buy a pair rather then pay tax to the government.

I don't feel Sonic qualities  are relevant for this pair, who cares if they sound thrash, they look nice.
PS- Nice in a elite way not something like skullcandy's

O_O
The Ultrasones are an alternative to paying taxes? How does that work and where can I sign up?

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #355 of 771
No thanks. I'd rather have a headphone without needless faux luxury materials. This is as much jewelry as an audio product. I'm not at head-fi to discuss what kind of jewelry looks best, I'm here to listen to headphones. I'll take a serious headphone at half the price instead of this bauble.

By the way, this is not a true luxury item. This is the same as a Louis Vuitton bag - something to fool buyers into believing they are one of God's chosen few. In reality thousands of other people have the same bag, and it works just as well as a $300 Coach bag. This kind of mass-produced product (2,010 units) is NOT a luxury product. Luxury by definition is exclusive. In my opinion a luxury product should also perform better than a mass market product. Maybe I will be proved wrong, but I seriously doubt that it will be better than the mass market HD800, T1, and SR-007.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #356 of 771
It's not for everyone but there's certainly a big market for it and I think it will sound great and be well-received. Can you be more specific how you think they won't be "better"? Obviously there will be people who prefer ed10 over the three headphones you list simply because they have different sound signatures. But sadly, looking at pictures and watching some of the japan presentation video, I don't think they put in major technical improvements over older models. Most impressive sound quality-related improvements I can see are the 10% more efficient drivers, the grills, and 99.99% (pretty common manufacturing standard lol), no memory, thicker SPC cable. Maybe if I cover up my pro 900 bufferboard to look like ultrasone's open-back bufferboards, remove them from the shells, and hang them on a hat, I will get a sound like the open-back edition 10 :p.

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #357 of 771
"I say, I say, I say boy. Unless you have actually heard them, then your speculation
is as sharp as a bowling ball". (said the chicken hawk).

At first I though that it was nice to have companies finally starting to make high-end
cans again. But now, I'm beginning to think that the big boys are just coming out with
$1000 headphones, with $3500 price tags on them to fulfill the need to fill our audiophile
void.

If that's true, then we are being manipulated by the audio industry, and we know that
that, has never happened before. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back