Ultrasone DJ1Pros, not working at all, help?
Mar 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Lingering

New Head-Fier
I just got my DJ1 Pros in the mail, and immediately ran into some problems. As soon as I screwed the cable in and plugged it into my iPod, none of my songs played well. All the songs had the worst quality in the world. Half of them only came through one side, and most had that sound kind of like one of the jacks wasn't lugged in all the way, but of course they were, with that fuzzy, hissing sound. Strangely enough, I bumped into one of my songs where certain parts of the music played. The guitar and bass played with great quality, but only half the vocals played, and upper range nothing at all, nor the bass. Other songs came out so quietly, I could barely hear them. However, when I listened to the CD that came with it, all those sounded amazing and perfectly clear. I have no idea what's wrong, help?

Thanks

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 15
I just got my DJ1 Pros in the mail, and immediately ran into some problems. As soon as I screwed the cable in and plugged it into my iPod, none of my songs played well. All the songs had the worst quality in the world. Half of them only came through one side, and most had that sound kind of like one of the jacks wasn't lugged in all the way, but of course they were, with that fuzzy, hissing sound. Strangely enough, I bumped into one of my songs where certain parts of the music played. The guitar and bass played with great quality, but only half the vocals played, and upper range nothing at all, nor the bass. Other songs came out so quietly, I could barely hear them. However, when I listened to the CD that came with it, all those sounded amazing and perfectly clear. I have no idea what's wrong, help?

Thanks

EDIT: I just tried them while listening to Inception. I could hear all the music and most of the sound effects fine like the gunfire, but none of the voices came through. The few times I did hear voices they were so soft I couldn't make out what they were saying.

May 5, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:

Thanks

EDIT: I just tried them while listening to Inception. I could hear all the music and most of the sound effects fine like the gunfire, but none of the voices came through. The few times I did hear voices they were so soft I couldn't make out what they were saying.

I have exactly the same problem!!! I have noticed if i unplug the jack a bit everything is perfect but if I plug it in fully I get exactly what you are talking about. What did you do in the end?

May 5, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 15
Try changing your source.  If the problem persists, it's a problem with the headphone.

Edit: You said when you played a CD it sounded fine?  What were you using to play your CD?  Maybe your iPod isn't driving the headphones sufficiently.

Quote:
I have exactly the same problem!!! I have noticed if i unplug the jack a bit everything is perfect but if I plug it in fully I get exactly what you are talking about. What did you do in the end?

If it's an HP problem, it should be consistent with source change.  Could it be that the jack is lopsided?

May 5, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 15
Have you made sure the cord is screwed in as tightly as possible?

May 5, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 15
I was actually using my laptop and my iPod for both. same thing. I played Inception on my laptop and my iPod and the same thing happened. I ended up returning them to Adorama. I called and they informed me that they had indeed sent me a pair that had been originally returned without telling me. Got mah money back.

Oh yeah, everything was screwed in as tightly as possible, and I played with loosening it too, they just wouldn't work.

May 6, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 15
I can't believe they sold a pair that was already returned, and didn't even tell you!  That is certainly not good costumer service.  It's a good thing you got your money back.

May 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
I was actually using my laptop and my iPod for both. same thing. I played Inception on my laptop and my iPod and the same thing happened. I ended up returning them to Adorama. I called and they informed me that they had indeed sent me a pair that had been originally returned without telling me. Got mah money back.

Oh yeah, everything was screwed in as tightly as possible, and I played with loosening it too, they just wouldn't work.

Mine don't work very well at all in the ipod but by loosening the connection into my laptop they work great. Will have to return mine too. What did you buy instead?

May 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 15
I know the problem has been solved, but here's my view: the headphone plug was the problem. Of course an iPod can drive the DJ1s, and of course an iPod isn't so crappy as to not play mids. And yes, it's normal that if you unpug it just a bit, like 1mm, it starts working, but that isn't a solution, just a quick fix. You did the right thing, ofc, but next time, if you're into DIY just cut the cable right above the plug and solder a new one.

Or...

RECABLE IT ALL TO HELL!

May 7, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 15
Haha, I actually haven't bought a new pair. I'm saving up for the Sennheiser HD-25 Adidas Originals. I'm an entering college student, so I'm having to pay for it myself.

Yeah but if they need to be recabled, that says something about the build quality~

May 7, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Yeah but if they need to be recabled, that says something about the build quality~

No, it does not. I've had 4 iPhones and two of them had that problem. Now a friend of my wife has exactly the same problem. Apple is really f*cking the headphone jacks up! The jacks in the Apple products have three contact rings. The risk that at least one of these contacts has a default is way too high.

I've noticed these contact problems also with the original iBuds (headset not working), Phonak PFE and any Klipsch IEM.

May 7, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Have you made sure the cord is screwed in as tightly as possible?

The plug have to be pushed in first, and only then screwed all the way in
happy_face1.gif

May 14, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 15
LOL @ last post.

Hmm, didn't know that about those apple jacks (haha :D)! I'll keep that in mind next time. But yeah, I screwed them in + pushed it in hard enough for sure. If I had done it any harder it would've broken. I'm still saving up for those Adidas HD-25's, I can only afford around $150 atm. =/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back