Ultrasone ALO-780 review
Jan 12, 2010 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

stang

Headphoneus Supremus
Decided to finally do a review of my rig and my new headphones, ALO-780. I hope everyone likes it, it's going to make me a 500+ head-fier
biggrin.gif
I will be using 3 songs, although I mainly listen to metal so I hope this review will still be able to express what I think of these great cans. I will review to the best of my ability, please don't expect miracles, as I am fiarly new to the Audio world.

Cable: Jena Labs cable with a Furutech 1/4" plug makes them fairly heavy but looks wonderful. The cable isn't very flexible but I guess that's alright, as I am not going anywhere with these 'phones, strictly to be used with my setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Cups: I like the look of the cups, although they could have used someething other than plastic painted silver. The Ultrasone Logo and the L and R on each cup seems to be made of some sort of metal, which is nice to see. Sorry, I am not experienced with different types of materials.

Headband: Terrible IMO. It's made of plastic, but it seems sturdy. The pleather part on the headband whicih rests on your head is very hard and hurts. It is digging into my sunburned head (damn beach
biggrin.gif
). This may sound funny but I actually now rest a handkerchief on top of my head where the headband rests to relieve the pain, it is working great.

Ear pads: VERY uncomfortable during the first 5 hours or so. They dig into my jaw which hurts and gets annoying, but I have toughened up now
tongue.gif
. They are now fairly comfortable, less so than my previous headphone, Grado SR-225. I have ordered the DT250 velour pads though and will comment on them when they arrive of course.
Well enough about all that, let's get onto my setup.

Source: Foobar 2000 with ASIO4ALL>Evga X58 Classified>Coax

DAC/amp: Zero DAC with OPA627 and brown caps snipped off to get rid of the bad high's and bass.

I usually use my Qinpu A-3 but dislike them with the Ultrasone's, it's beautiful with Grado's though!

My song picks are not to most people's likings, as I do not have anything better. I usually listen to metal ALL the time so I tried switching to a different genre to give the ALO-780 more of a fair chance. I know, only one song, but I don't listen to this genre much, if at all, so for me I do not find it too important to review it.

Songs:

In Flames - Moonshield
Lamb of God - Ruin
Black Eyed Pees - Be That Way (Complicated)

SOUND QUALITY

[size=small]In Flames - Moonshield[/size]
These Ultrasone's produce the bass beautifully in this song, almost perfect for me. It has a nice kick to it without being bloated or taking over the mids and high's. The drums are presented nicely, I can hear clearly which drum Björn Gelotte is hitting. The acoustic guitar at the start suonds very nice and I can hear when the guitarist slides his finger over each string and if one string is looser than the other, I can hear it vibrate very easily, this is very nice, as it is revealing to the quality of the recording. This particular album -The Jester Race- is probably their highest quality. I feel as though when the electric guitar comes into place, it is almost in front of me. The S-Logic doesn't fully work as it is supposed to IMO, but nevertheless sounds great. The cymbals sound AMAZING! They are absolutely perfect to me. When they need to be heard clearly, they are, with amazing detail. I can hear the cymbals pretty clearly throughout the rest of the songs, whicih is Just as I like it. I dislike when all the instruments can be heard as clearly as each other, to me, that just isn't how it's supposed to sound. The vocals are presented a little less than the guitar. This is great, as I have been to a Lamb of God and DevilDriver concert not long ago and the guitar and drums are very clea and the vocals a little laid back.

[size=small]Lamb of God - Ruin[/size]
Yes, Lamb of God poorly record their albums, but that's always good fore reviewing, as I can tell you about how revieling these cans are to the flaws. This song, as I am just realising now, as I am listening to this song, is fatiguing. There is an exagerrated bass which, looking at the Spectrum monitor in Foobar 2000, is very clearn. The bottom end is very present and there isn't much of the high's. The guitars are presented as being very aggressive and not all that detailed, taking over a bit of the rest of the spectrum. The vocals are very clear though, I can tell what the vocalist's face is like when he is screaming and how far away from the microphone he goes. Lamb of God does present their cymbals differently to In Flames'. They are presented more in your face and not as loud. I imagine I am in front of the whole band when I listen to this song, so soundstaging is more combined and in your face, as expected by a heavy band like LOG.

[size=small]Black Eyed Pees - Be That Way (Complicated)[/size]
Most people won't know this song, as it didn't make it to the release of their album, but nevertheless sounds great with these cans. WOW, this sound amazing! Everything is just so clear, detailed and isn't fatiguing one bit, even when the bass kicks in. These cans make me want to listen to more of their songs, but I really shouldn't
biggrin.gif
The instrument (if you can call them that) seperation is really mind blowing in this song I find. Even with 5 or 6 different effects plus vocals happening at one time, I can still hear each one individually and not get side tracked onto just one "instrument".

Conclusion

If you can bear with a headband that hurts on the top of your head after a while, then don't hesitate to buy these headphones! The ear pads are fine, as they cover my whole ear. They may be a tad uncomfortable, but nothing that time can't fix. These have a great tight, impacting bass that is very smooth. Mids that are clear and more in your face than most headphones and high's that sparkle and sound wonderful especially in electronically mixed songs. These headphones are $595 new from ALO Audio or can be found for roughly $350usd shipped worldwide, great value for the money. Now, I just need some recommendations for some new songs to listen to
biggrin.gif

I tried my best at describing everything, I guess I need more time to read more reviews, find out what all this "luscious mids" mean etc. Hope you enjoyed reading and I will update when I get the Velour pads to describe any differences and will review another 3 songs
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully getting a Little Dot MKVII and Little Dot DAC_I sometimes fairly soon so I can describe the differences between that and this Zero DAC.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 43
Nicely done Stang. I have been looking at these for about a year now. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Have you run them straight out of your Walkman yet? If so, can you share some brief thoughts?

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 43
Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif
Will test them and give you brief impressions in the next 30 minutes or so. Difficult to get into the music as it's 34C here (pretty hot) and I am too stressed over how hot it is on my sunburn
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 43
Haha lucky, this heat is terrible, yesterday it reacher 47C in the sun and this summer is expected to get over 50C! That's about 122F.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 43
I won't do a review with my Walkman but my impressions are: Less bass, the sound is a lot more congested making it difficult to pick out each instrument more clearly. All the instruments also sound more artificial, so I would not use it to listen with my ALO-780
smily_headphones1.gif
It does sound alright with acoustical songs though.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 43
I have the Ultrasone Pro900's which have been properly burnt in and just did the kees mod on them yesterday and I'm loving them for metal. =D

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 43
Now I gotta buy those too to compare lol. Nah I'd love to compare them but I am not buying a $400 headphone just to compare it.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 43
The alo-780s are definitely some really nice cans. i find that they have scaled pretty well with my equipment. They sound really good with my c2c amp just that there isnt too much room to play with the volume. I really like how they sound with my cute beyond too.

The only thing about this can is that i feel that if it is underamped it is way too bassy like the bass just isnt controlled right at all. This is definitely the can for hip hop and i listen to a lot of metal core and it sounds good too.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 43
Wow you have HF-2, lucky
tongue.gif
. I'd love a pair purely for metal but should really upgrade my rig first
biggrin.gif
My Zero DAC/amp is very powerful by the sounds of it. I turn it to 8 o'clock and it's plenty loud, 9 o'clock is too loud and hurts my ears.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 43
Lol yeah the HF-2s are a really great set of cans especially for metal. I think the grados make guitars sound perfect. Well i am sure your zero dac is powerful/ I just think it is annoying trying to find that perfect volume when it is either too loud or too low and that happens all the time with my c2c

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #12 of 43
I am trying to upgrade to a Little Dot DAC_I and MKVII or MKVII+ to go balanced. Apparently it has the same issue, being too powerful and all. Well, I know Grado's LOVE tube amps from experience, so I will store away my Qinpu A-3 until I get some
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 43
Interesting. I was thinking about the ALO 780 for a high end full size portable to plug directly into an iPod. Looks like I will pass. My Shure SRh 840 are fine, although better with a portable amp. My Pro 750 sound much better with an amp. Perhaps the new Audio Technica ES10, or ESW9. Until then...my HD 25 I II will more than suffice.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #15 of 43
Nice review! Very helpful. Have you heard 780 unmodded? If you have then how much better do you think the ALO mod is compared to the original? Is is it worth paying twice as much for the mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back