Ultimate Ears UE4Pro or JH Audio JH5Pro
Jun 14, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #46 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might - Jude seems to think of them as a "baby UE10Pro"

Ayup. The fact that the UE4 demo universals are close to your UM3X makes one hope, of course, that the true customs will be close to the ES3X.

However, the ES3X have been compared favorably to the UE10, and Jude confirmed that the UE4 aren't quite at the level of the UE10 (duh). So according to that other line of reasoning, the ES3X should be way above the UE4.

Of course, when so many variables are left out, extrapolative logic is a flawed tool at best.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #47 of 116
Why nobody mentioning new Livewires triples like an option. Is they are out of League? They cost even less. Only problem not much people reviews yet.

edit: Oops! Was mentioned by roy_jones. My bad.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #48 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by shrisha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why nobody mentioning new Livewires triples like an option. Is they are out of League? They cost even less. Only problem not much people reviews yet.

At the present time, while inclined toward the ES3X, I'm waiting for comparative reviews of the JH13, JH5, UE4 and LW/Fidelity Triples, and for news of the Infinity Aura. I can spend the dough, even for the JH13 if there's enough enticement, but I can't afford to spend it blindly (deafly?). Happily for us, HPA has reached a new level of insanity: he's decided to compare the JH13, EU11pro and ES3X, and maybe the UE4 and JH5; so at the very least, I'll wait for his opinion.

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #50 of 116
Nice to see that the custom iem technology is finally trickling down to somewhat more affordable levels and not just the top end models. I wonder wha tyou will do with all those customs once you have listened to them hpa? That was always a reason for me why i did not want to get the es3x for example, but the new ue and jh (didnt know about that company before I started reading this thread) are very interesting indeed. I was thinking of rebuying an ie8 and getting custom shells but I think one of these might be a better solution. Not that I am not happy with my pro900 anymore but it is a fact that iems just give better isolation, if you have a good fit. Very interested in any comparative reviews and will patietnly wait till any arrive because my pro900 can tide me over till then. I am leaning towards the ue4pro now because i htink i would be able to get them in nl easily/easier.
Btw, i really think 1 year warranty is very short, in the eu most companies that sell stuff like this have a standard 2 year warranty.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #51 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see that the custom iem technology is finally trickling down to somewhat more affordable levels and not just the top end models. I wonder wha tyou will do with all those customs once you have listened to them hpa? That was always a reason for me why i did not want to get the es3x for example, but the new ue and jh (didnt know about that company before I started reading this thread) are very interesting indeed. I was thinking of rebuying an ie8 and getting custom shells but I think one of these might be a better solution. Not that I am not happy with my pro900 anymore but it is a fact that iems just give better isolation, if you have a good fit. Very interested in any comparative reviews and will patietnly wait till any arrive because my pro900 can tide me over till then. I am leaning towards the ue4pro now because i htink i would be able to get them in nl easily/easier.
Btw, i really think 1 year warranty is very short, in the eu most companies that sell stuff like this have a standard 2 year warranty.
Greetings, Anouk,

HPA said he considered writing a comparative review of the UE4 and JH5 (and C3 and dual-driver LW, which he already owns). I guess he'll make his decision after hearing the JH13. I'm waiting eagerly for his JH13/UE11/ES3X review.

UE4 has received some very positive feedback, notably from Jude (the only one here who's heard the actual custom) and HPA. JH5 was supposed to compete against UE5 and was priced accordingly, but instead dropped from $599 to $399, most certainly as a reaction to the apparition of the $399 UE4. Both are now competing to become the entry-level custom. The JH5 is supposed to have "new generation" faster drivers, but it's all hearsay. Still, if I had to choose deafly, I'd certainly pick it up over the UE4, if only for the longer warranty. And with the JH5, you can choose your color, too.

This said... I'll be waiting for reviews. JH13... ES3X... JH5...

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #52 of 116
actually how many armature driver types are there in the market? JH audio offers "newer" drivers? sigh... i could only afford a JH5pro or UE4pro, got to save up for pico slim.. :p

PS: my ear canals are quite oily, customs would be better for me right? as they are made for stage performers. universal tips always get stuck in my ears... damn..

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #53 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HPA said he considered writing a comparative review of the UE4 and JH5 (and C3 and dual-driver LW, which he already owns). I guess he'll make his decision after hearing the JH13. I'm waiting eagerly for his JH13/UE11/ES3X review.

Yeah, I need to recover from the cost of the UE11Pro/JH13Pro first.

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #54 of 116
waiting for some ue4pro vs jh5 impressions here too. Actually also interested in what the big deficiency in the 5 vs the 13 is... Also if used with an ipod 5g exclusively I'm wondering how high I should go before I get diminishing returns

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #55 of 116
Do the UEs ever break?

I had a clear cable (5pro) which turned GREEN (copper oxidizing in the cable where it loops over the ear.. so much for oxygen free copper)- their solution was that.. 1) it doesn't affect the sound (jury is still out on that) and 2) they send me a black replacement cable right away. This was in 2008. I haven't used the black cable yet.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #56 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen that HPA review of the UE4pro demos, but I'd be very interested to read it.

I know the JH5pro uses a dual-driver setup. Also, the initial price on the JH5pro was reduced from $600 to $400, which may have been a response to the UE4's pricing. Whether that means that the JH will compete at a higher level, I have no idea.

Both would be on the short-list of customs I'd be interested in if I were in the market. I'd also keep an eye on the new triple driver livewires/fidelity's as well as the new quad-driver from UM. All are around $400 with the quad-driver likely to be at least a hundred more...

Jerry told me that he compares his JH5Pro more to the UE5Pro than the UE4Pro....I'm hoping it shakes out that way because my JH5Pros should be here this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #57 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregokeys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jerry told me that he compares his JH5Pro more to the UE5Pro than the UE4Pro....I'm hoping it shakes out that way because my JH5Pros should be here this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Really? I have read the UE5Pro are a darker bassier IEM, and the descriptions of the UE4Pro read like they are an airier more detailed and balanced sounding IEM. That was certainly my thought of the UE4Pro demos, that they were more similar to the tonal balance of the UE10Pro and JH10x3 demos than the UE11Pro demos. I didn't hear a UE5Pro demo or JH5Pro demo.

I thought I could really enjoy the UE4Pros based on the demos, and thought they are more like the ES3X or UM3X with UM56 tips than the JH13Pro or UE11pro. I was actually ordering the UE4Pro at CanJam, but changed my mind a couple of days after CanJam to the UE11Pro (came very close to UE10Pro).

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #58 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I have read the UE5Pro are a darker bassier IEM, and the descriptions of the UE4Pro read like they are an airier more detailed and balanced sounding IEM. That was certainly my thought of the UE4Pro demos, that they were more similar to the tonal balance of the UE10Pro and JH10x3 demos than the UE11Pro demos. I didn't hear a UE5Pro demo or JH5Pro demo.

I thought I could really enjoy the UE4Pros based on the demos, and thought they are more like the ES3X or UM3X with UM56 tips than the JH13Pro or UE11pro. I was actually ordering the UE4Pro at CanJam, but changed my mind a couple of days after CanJam to the UE11Pro (came very close to UE10Pro).

I'm not sure that he meant in terms of the detail you're discussing. I didn't know the detail that you're talking about the UE5Pro having "more bass" or being "darker" to prime the pump with when talking to him. I think when he compared them he was talking in terms of quality of workmanship. Anotherwords, JH5Pro would be a higher quality than the UE4Pro, just as the UE5Pro, seeing as it's a "step" above the UE4Pro in it's company's rung, is considered an entry level IEM - hence the price. Again, I'm thinking he was talking overall quality of workmanship as I didn't prime the pump because I didn't have the information that you're talking about.

I didn't get them in today like I thought I would and have not heard back yet from Brittany after emailing her this afternoon to check on them, but as soon as I get them, I'll post my thoughts. I ordered the JH5Pros.....

As a side note, when I talked to the folks at UE, they actually said almost the opposite to what you're saying about what to expect from the UE4Pro. They said that they would lack bass and treble or "clarity" compared to the UE5Pro....I need full and clear....so I went with the JH5Pro.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #59 of 116
I myself have been going back and forth with this. I was going to get the UE5's and was talking with a rep, who I have to go through to get my discount. Then the UE4's came out. The reviews were comparing them to the UE10's and I was getting a little confused......on what to expect from them. When I heard about the JH5pro, I contacted Brittany and I was impressed with the response and how she answered all of my questions.

I am going to get the JH5pro, because I think I would enjoy them more. I can't wait to get them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #60 of 116
....well, talked to Brittany yesterday and it's not going to be this week for my JH5Pros....bummer. There were 28 in front of me. She said they do about 10 a day, so I'm still a couple of days away. She said it would more than likely be next Tuesday or Wednesday before I get to hear them. I'll keep you posted. The total time if it's next wednesday, from the day I shipped them out to getting them back (if it's next Wednesday) would be 3 full weeks....obviously, not all of that is manufacture time - I' say probably 2 1/2 in manufacturing them.

....so I'll post next week on how it turns out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back