Ultimate Ears UE PRO 18+ Discussions and Impressions
Oct 3, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #61 of 462
Finally had the opportunity to demo these last week and I was very impressed! It was just a short demo at the Indulgence Show, but I loved their tonality that seemed spot on and vocals were absolutely lovely. These definitely deserve to get more attention!

They have now gone on my shopping list for next year (need to move countries first).

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #62 of 462
After about 3.5 weeks of wait, it's finally here! I gotta say I'm impressed by the amount of detail in it, and I honestly agree with all of @flinkenick 's views on these. There is some sort of a midtreble dip that is noticable on some songs too, but aside from that it sounds pretty darn awesome. Vocals are clean and energetic, drum hits are exceptional, and I find that hi-hats sounds absolutely amazing on these babies

Now, I feel that I'm a person who's not so sensitive towards the midtreble peaks (I find HD800 to sound just alright even without the SDR mod, if that means something). Can anyone recommend a cable around $200 (Not exceeding $300 if possible) in order to regain the midtreble peak?

Also, last question. How do you detach the UE cables? They seem very tight, and I'm scared of breaking the shell

Is the dip really significant?
How does the treble dip affect femalevocal/violin/piano?

As for cable removal, rubber nose pliar on the pin housing,
Just make sure no bending

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #63 of 462
Also, last question. How do you detach the UE cables? They seem very tight, and I'm scared of breaking the shell

Your in Singapore, just stop by Jaben or MS. Someone should be able to help you there with cable removal/inserting. Just inform them to be extra careful. Plus you should be able to listen to different cables while there...

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #64 of 462
Finally had the opportunity to demo these last week and I was very impressed! It was just a short demo at the Indulgence Show, but I loved their tonality that seemed spot on and vocals were absolutely lovely. These definitely deserve to get more attention!

They have now gone on my shopping list for next year (need to remove wife first).

fixed :beyersmile:

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #65 of 462
After about 3.5 weeks of wait, it's finally here! I gotta say I'm impressed by the amount of detail in it, and I honestly agree with all of @flinkenick 's views on these. There is some sort of a midtreble dip that is noticable on some songs too, but aside from that it sounds pretty darn awesome. Vocals are clean and energetic, drum hits are exceptional, and I find that hi-hats sounds absolutely amazing on these babies

Now, I feel that I'm a person who's not so sensitive towards the midtreble peaks (I find HD800 to sound just alright even without the SDR mod, if that means something). Can anyone recommend a cable around $200 (Not exceeding $300 if possible) in order to regain the midtreble peak?

Why not just use an EQ (PEQ to be precise) to regain that peak you wanted instead of throwing darts in the dark with the cable.

Though my complaint with the UE18+ is not the treble but the bass bleeds a bit to the mids that it makes the overall sound to be a bit muffed. Especially, If I compare it to more resolving cans like NT6 or iSine20.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #66 of 462
Is the dip really significant?
How does the treble dip affect femalevocal/violin/piano?

As for cable removal, rubber nose pliar on the pin housing,
Just make sure no bending

The treble dip did make piano and female vocals sound a touch subdued at times. Nothing too serious tbh. I'm also still trying to get acquainted to the sound so take my impressions with a grain of salt :sweat_smile:
I'll keep using the stock cable for a while for now, I think. Will swing by MS in the weekend for some cable-fi hahaha

Your in Singapore, just stop by Jaben or MS. Someone should be able to help you there with cable removal/inserting. Just inform them to be extra careful. Plus you should be able to listen to different cables while there...

I'll definitely do that this weekend!

Why not just use an EQ (PEQ to be precise) to regain that peak you wanted instead of throwing darts in the dark with the cable.

Though my complaint with the UE18+ is not the treble but the bass bleeds a bit to the mids that it makes the overall sound to be a bit muffed. Especially, If I compare it to more resolving cans like NT6 or iSine20.

I did some EQ as well, and it did helped a ton. Also, I've noticed that it'll have more midtreble the lower the output impedance goes. I guess this time I'm gonna seriously invest on a DAP. In this case I'm kind of thinking either ZX300 or WM1A or maybe even DP-X1A (The latter because my music is mainly on Spotify hahaha). Btw, I'm stuck only with iTunes EQ. If you're by any chance on an Apple ecosystem, can you recommend any universal EQ?

Hmm, as for bleeding bass, I haven't noticed it yet actually. UEs tend to have lusher mids (Except UERM and UE4) and probably that gave the impression of the bass bleeding to the mids.

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #67 of 462
I did some EQ as well, and it did helped a ton. Also, I've noticed that it'll have more midtreble the lower the output impedance goes. I guess this time I'm gonna seriously invest on a DAP. In this case I'm kind of thinking either ZX300 or WM1A or maybe even DP-X1A (The latter because my music is mainly on Spotify hahaha). Btw, I'm stuck only with iTunes EQ. If you're by any chance on an Apple ecosystem, can you recommend any universal EQ?

Hmm, as for bleeding bass, I haven't noticed it yet actually. UEs tend to have lusher mids (Except UERM and UE4) and probably that gave the impression of the bass bleeding to the mids.

Soundflower/AU Lab for Mac OS and Equalizer for IOS

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #68 of 462

Have you played around EQ to fix the bass bleed?

And I agree. EQ it instead of throwing darts with cables. LOL.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #70 of 462

They have now gone on my shopping list for next year (need to remove wife first).
fixed :beyersmile:
Haha! Not necessary at all! My wife is happy for me to buy them, we just need a bit more stability in our lives before we start spending on gear and puppies. :wink:

Can't wait! :D

excited-dog-gif-15.gif

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #75 of 462
any experiments EQing up the treble dip?

does UE18+ respond well to EQ?
Yep, the 18+ responds pretty well to EQ. Personally I felt the dip was around 6kHz or so and bringing that up by a bit makes it more lively. It also didn't detract it from the original signature. Although, after using it for 2-3 days now, it feels like I'm getting used to the sound already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back