Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #991 of 4,383
I should have the Ultrasone IQ in my hands tomorrow 99% certain (UPS says they delivered it).  So I will do comparisons to the UE 900 in the coming week :)

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #993 of 4,383
Where can I buy a replacement for the blue UE900 cable with the remote? If it works with Shure IEMs...

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #995 of 4,383
That's a beautiful sight to see Swim. 
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #996 of 4,383
Hey Swim I don't know how long you've had the UE900 but how do they compare to the 4.Ai?  I was close to getting a pair before I got the 3.Ai which I thought would be better for EDM over the 4.Ai.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #997 of 4,383
My impressions are narrowing down to the following:
If you have high quality source material and neutrality is your main concern, Heir will be on your throne. The price you have to pay is attenuation on bad recordings (sibilance included) and fatigue. Other than that, wonderful!

If you want to groove and don't mind a little relaxed presentation, the UE900 will be your pick. On the bad side you have to deal with a slight veil.

I haven't made my decision yet, but I can say both are great products. The Westone 4 really belongs into the comparison, but the UE900 is exactly between 4.Ai and W4. Not too relaxed but also category 'serious fun.'

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #998 of 4,383
I hope the Heir 3.Ai has the same quality mids and highs as the 4.Ai but with better bass impact and depth which from everything I've read says they have more bass than the TF10 and they had plenty for me.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #999 of 4,383
If you look around I have just got them. The point of the ok the picture was to say they have arrived. I could tell you my feelings now but people will judge as lack of owning them so I will protect myself and wait a few days.

Ultrazino, the 4.Ai never are sibilant, I have never seen someone say this, what was you listenning to etc to get there.

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,000 of 4,383
The famous album S&M. It's a sibilance monster and it's no fun with the Heir. It's not a fault of the earphone but of the recording. Anyway, the Heir is too truthful to the recording. In comparison, the UE900 is pure music.

Another example (*ok, this is not sibilance, but definitely fatiguing): Adele - Cold Shoulder
Ouch! This one really hurts!

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the UE is better. I think the Heir is just more serious. It's the better choice for Classical, which should mean a lot. I think the Heir is where I want to be, but the UE is where I am. Maybe my opinion will change within the next couple of days.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,001 of 4,383
Quote:
The famous album S&M. It's a sibilance monster and it's no fun with the Heir. It's not a fault of the earphone but of the recording. Anyway, the Heir is too truthful to the recording. In comparison, the UE900 is pure music.

Another example (*ok, this is not sibilance, but definitely fatiguing): Adele - Cold Shoulder
Ouch! This one really hurts!

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the UE is better. I think the Heir is just more serious. It's the better choice for Classical, which should mean a lot. I think the Heir is where I want to be, but the UE is where I am. Maybe my opinion will change within the next couple of days.

What tips have you tried? I briefly tried the stock tips with my 4.Ai and did think there's a slight exaggeration of sibilance with those tips but I have no such issue with Comply tips. If you have tried them it might be worth giving the Comply's a try.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #1,002 of 4,383
Quote:
What tips have you tried? I briefly tried the stock tips with my 4.Ai and did think there's a slight exaggeration of sibilance with those tips but I have no such issue with Comply tips. If you have tried them it might be worth giving the Comply's a try.

Yep, stock silicone. Will try Complys.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #1,003 of 4,383
@Ultrazino how about some comparisons with the FX700 (I think you have there in that photo)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back