Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #4,126 of 4,383
  Would love some help please? Today my left earpiece suddenly started sounding weird like it's all echoy and distant compared to the right - it sound like a driver is down or something. I had issues about six months ago with the common cutting out with the same earpeice but deoxit fixed it. Nothing I do no seems to fix it. It's awful because I love my UE900. :frowning2:

I've had it for one and half years so it should still be under my two year warranty. What steps should I take? Should I take it to the shop (Dick Smith Electronics) where I got it from or go directly to Logitech? I would love for them to repair or replace it - I'm so worried about this discontinued stuff. They won't replace with the UE900s that UE is selling on their website? Is there a limited number of those or something? I wonder if they'd refund me/put it towards UE900s and I can pay the difference if I have to.

Send e-mail to Logitech.
They should replace it so quickly! :)

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #4,127 of 4,383
Maybe Logitech US can still replace it for the UE900s. In Europe they only refund...

Please contact me if they don't ask you to send your phones back. I still have a pair with a broken right side, maybe we can combine them to a working pair.

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #4,128 of 4,383
Thank you so much guys!! I live in New Zealand so I don't know if that comes under Europe or America's guidelines on these things.

I actually woke up this morning and tested them and it sounds normal, or at not as bad as last night - I'll have to do some more listening to confirm, again! :D I changed the cable and deoxited it (didn't appear to do anything last night) and left it over night. I don't know what happened but I'm still holding my breath. I hope it stays this way. Maybe I should've waited more than 24 hours before jumping the gun and posting about it. It needs to stop scaring me like this.

Thanks blackhawke2k, it's good to hear there's options if it does stop working - it is always the left earpeice that freaks out on me.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #4,129 of 4,383
I just picked up a new pair of these and wow they sound so much more normal and neutral compared to the Triple.Fi 10. The clarity and nearer to neutral sound is making me miss my now broken [Banned Company] 4A made by Wizard (full circle) back in the day.

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #4,130 of 4,383
So I got these about 2 years ago. Didn't like the fact that the upper mids were recessed so I pretty much put them away. Today I got a new amp for my Fostex TH900, the Bakoon HPA-01M. It's a portable amp so I tried it out with the UE900 and wow through the current mode, the upper mids really came out! I took a look at the impedance graph for these and it made sense with the bump in the the upper mids. The current mode is primarily for planars with a flat impedance since it boosts any frequency with a higher impedance. In this case it really helped with the sound!

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #4,131 of 4,383
I didn't like the fact that these earphones distort some on some vocals or deep sounds such as the sound effect at the very beginning of "everything in their right place" by Radiohead. Plus I don't like how the miss are recessed. So does anyone know what the best sounding quad driver is that's in the $300-$500 price range is? I'm thinking that maybe the se 535 could be the ticket. What are your guys thoughts on this matter?

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #4,133 of 4,383
I have not experienced this at all. Are you cranking them way up? I love my UE900s! Try this track out?
ugh that was euphoric and amazing. You know what maybe I was wrong about these. They only distort on some tracks on 80-100% volume on my HTC One m9. And I only ever go that high on songs that aren't too loud to begin with. Are there any cables or mods (besides the pinhole MOD and replacing the filter which have some success) that can further bring out the mids and overall cohesiveness and sound stage?

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #4,135 of 4,383
Are there any cables or mods (besides the pinhole MOD and replacing the filter which have some success) that can further bring out the mids and overall cohesiveness and sound stage?

As far as I know, the only step after those two is to have them made into CIEMs. I love their sound, but I plan to get them made into CIEMs this Christmas. I am also very new to the IEM world, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #4,136 of 4,383
Hey guys I'm a long time UE TF10's fan and I'm looking to buy a new IEM. I have 2 questions:

- What's the difference between UE 900 and UE 900s?

- How do these compare to the UE TF10?

thanks

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #4,137 of 4,383
Hey guys I'm a long time UE TF10's fan and I'm looking to buy a new IEM. I have 2 questions:

- What's the difference between UE 900 and UE 900s?

- How do these compare to the UE TF10?

thanks

If I'm not mistaken, the 900s was supposed to fix a couple of the build issues the original 900 had. Otherwise, they should sound exactly the same. The driver design never changed. The 900s are a LOT less V-shaped than the TF10. You'll end up with a signature that focuses more on the midrange in contrast to the TF10. So less bass and treble quantity, but the majority of the quality (depth, texturing, extension, detailing, etc. should all be there). Essentially, the two are completely different animals.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #4,138 of 4,383
Thank you for your reply,

I just bought a pair of 900s for 225 usd. I originally wanted to purchase westone w40, but the 900s are half the price and I feel I'm gonna get a better price/quality ratio with the 900s, as I'm a fairly casual listener compared to a lot of people on this website. 

Hopefully I'll like the sound signature. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #4,139 of 4,383
  Thank you for your reply,

I just bought a pair of 900s for 225 usd. I originally wanted to purchase westone w40, but the 900s are half the price and I feel I'm gonna get a better price/quality ratio with the 900s, as I'm a fairly casual listener compared to a lot of people on this website. 

Hopefully I'll like the sound signature. 

I hope you like it too.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back