Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #4,021 of 4,383
I'm on the edge of buying a pair of UE900S', but I have a few queries:

1. Are all UE900S now legitimate unibody UE900S?

2. Australia doesn't have many importers for it, the closest one I could find is DWI Digital Cameras. If it is a grey importer, would warranty apply for me?

Just received my pair today. My pair seems to have the unibody design and as of yet, no cosmetic flaws or cutouts.

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #4,022 of 4,383
   Just received my pair today. My pair seems to have the unibody design and as of yet, no cosmetic flaws or cutouts.

Cheers mate, ordering mine now. Hope you're loving yours!​

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #4,024 of 4,383
Received mine just now and they are the unibody 900s version.

Prior to placing the order on them i had done no research, didn't even know or see mine were the s version, just remember how much i wanted them when they were released, saw the price tag of £150 and thought bargain. I have to say, i did crap myself a little when i started reading about other users problems. 

Mine seem fine for now, loving them! Hope they last

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #4,025 of 4,383

Prior to placing the order on them i had done no research, didn't even know or see mine were the s version, just remember how much i wanted them when they were released, saw the price tag of £150 and thought bargain. I have to say, i did crap myself a little when i started reading about other users problems. 

Having bought a couple of pairs of broken ue900 for reshelling the problem was that people would pull the iems out of their ears using the plastic connector on the wire. As the original ue900 had a seperate connection on the body of the ue900 this constant pressure would eventually seperate the connector and back plate from the iem. This may also have been exacerbated by issues with the product used to bond the two parts. This problem is eliminated in the ue900s by the fact that the whole iem is one piece of moulded plastic. Connection issues have also been irradicated by the connection fluid included with the 900s. I'd say they should be pretty durable now (for my two penny's worth I still have a pair of the 900 that have no issues to date)

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #4,027 of 4,383
Mine's arriving tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

I think it's safe to say that all the old UE900s with the UE900 shells are phased out now, from what I've seen. Good riddance: here's hoping this one doesn't kick the bucket too quickly.

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #4,028 of 4,383
OK, I just got it. Digging the sound signature: somewhat V-shaped but no overblown bass or peaky treble*. Good soundstage for an IEM. Love it!

On the other hand, that hard case is almost impossible to use.

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #4,029 of 4,383
OK, I just got it. Digging the sound signature: somewhat V-shaped but no overblown bass or peaky treble*. Good soundstage for an IEM. Love it!

On the other hand, that hard case is almost impossible to use.

I find the shape and size of the case a bit extreme for a pocket and the gloss finish means they can't be in a pocket with coins or keys but if you wind them around 3 fingers instead of 4 they fit perfectly.

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #4,030 of 4,383
I find the shape and size of the case a bit extreme for a pocket and the gloss finish means they can't be in a pocket with coins or keys but if you wind them around 3 fingers instead of 4 they fit perfectly.

I eventually got it in the end, but it's a cumbersome affair. Oh well. Besides that, and my difficulty in getting the MMCX cable off (it's -tight- the first time round), it's all good. Minor fitting issue, due to the sharp-ish edges of the faceplate, but once I got around it, and shaping the earhooks, it's all good now.

Here's my impressions so far (2 hours or so into it):

Sound-wise, it's very good: as I said before, it's slightly V-shaped, but I'd honestly want a little bit more bass. Not sure if it'll burn-in or not (not a great believer of it), but besides the slightly anaemic bass, it's great. As I tested the IE80 a week ago, the IE80 has substantially more bass (actually so much to the point it's bloated IMO), and a slightly smaller soundstage: however, the IE80's fit and isolation was subpar compared to the UE900s. IMO, these don't work well with rock: it lacks the bass that is required to compensate for the weaker bass in rock songs. However, for classical, it's great: separation is spot-on, soundstage being greater than normal.

Accessories-wise, the UE900s deliver a significantly better package than the IE80. The number of tips is excellent, and the stems used to test each tip is ingenious. The case is a bit dumb at first, but once you develop your own 'trick' to store it (body in the 'cup'), it's surprisingly handy. The IE80 case, while looking nicer, is infinitely more bulky. In addition, the fact that the UE900s has 2 cables, one with a mic, was almost the deciding factor in winning me over compared to the IE80.

Build looks solid with the unibody design lacking any obvious weak points, but since I'm wary of past issues, I'm treating these with a very careful hand. The MMCX connectors were extremely tight to begin with, but after removing it and replacing it a few times, it's loosened up enough for removal to be easy-ish but still tight enough for most scenarios. The lack of strain reliefs disturbs me, but since the cable is swappable, I'm not too fussed about it.

I might deliver a more comprehensive review later, but right now I'm satisfied. Of course, I'm not blown away (being spoiled with my HD700's), but for an IEM, it's impressive for the price I got it for.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #4,031 of 4,383
Originally Posted by dazzerfong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IMO, these don't work well with rock: it lacks the bass that is required to compensate for the weaker bass in rock songs. However, for classical, it's great: separation is spot-on, soundstage being greater than normal.

Give them a little longer. If you have a good neutral reference, then I think you'll soon find that these IEMs certainly don't lack bass.

Also, if the rock music you're listening to is lacking in bass, you need to listen to some better recorded rock music. My best rock albums are far from lacking in bass.

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #4,032 of 4,383

Give them a little longer. If you have a good neutral reference, then I think you'll soon find that these IEMs certainly don't lack bass.

Also, if the rock music you're listening to is lacking in bass, you need to listen to some better recorded rock music. My best rock albums are far from lacking in bass.

Nah, I just hate rock in general. Just a complete casual's opinion on songs like Hotel California and Another One Bites the Dust.

These IEM's certainly don't lack bass (I tried a pair of Etymotic's and those lacked bass), but depending on the scenario, I like a bit of juice. Not a big deal-breaker for me, the UE900s' bass.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #4,033 of 4,383
This problem is eliminated in the ue900s by the fact that the whole iem is one piece of moulded plastic. Connection issues have also been irradicated by the connection fluid included with the 900s. I'd say they should be pretty durable now (for my two penny's worth I still have a pair of the 900 that have no issues to date)

My left side does cut out when i twist the cable at the connector with both cables. 
Probably a little unfair to test it this way as it doesn't move once it's in your ears, but i had to be sure. So the problem may still be there for some 900s users.
I am hoping over time with the fluid it isn't a problem.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #4,034 of 4,383
I eventually got it in the end, but it's a cumbersome affair. Oh well. Besides that, and my difficulty in getting the MMCX cable off (it's -tight- the first time round), it's all good. Minor fitting issue, due to the sharp-ish edges of the faceplate, but once I got around it, and shaping the earhooks, it's all good now.

Here's my impressions so far (2 hours or so into it):

Sound-wise, it's very good: as I said before, it's slightly V-shaped, but I'd honestly want a little bit more bass. Not sure if it'll burn-in or not (not a great believer of it), but besides the slightly anaemic bass, it's great. As I tested the IE80 a week ago, the IE80 has substantially more bass (actually so much to the point it's bloated IMO), and a slightly smaller soundstage: however, the IE80's fit and isolation was subpar compared to the UE900s. IMO, these don't work well with rock: it lacks the bass that is required to compensate for the weaker bass in rock songs. However, for classical, it's great: separation is spot-on, soundstage being greater than normal.

Accessories-wise, the UE900s deliver a significantly better package than the IE80. The number of tips is excellent, and the stems used to test each tip is ingenious. The case is a bit dumb at first, but once you develop your own 'trick' to store it (body in the 'cup'), it's surprisingly handy. The IE80 case, while looking nicer, is infinitely more bulky. In addition, the fact that the UE900s has 2 cables, one with a mic, was almost the deciding factor in winning me over compared to the IE80.

Build looks solid with the unibody design lacking any obvious weak points, but since I'm wary of past issues, I'm treating these with a very careful hand. The MMCX connectors were extremely tight to begin with, but after removing it and replacing it a few times, it's loosened up enough for removal to be easy-ish but still tight enough for most scenarios. The lack of strain reliefs disturbs me, but since the cable is swappable, I'm not too fussed about it.

I might deliver a more comprehensive review later, but right now I'm satisfied. Of course, I'm not blown away (being spoiled with my HD700's), but for an IEM, it's impressive for the price I got it for.

I too found the bass lacking at first coming from the tf10 pro but found that using a fiio headphone amp warmed up the sound considerably. I also noticed an increase in bass when using Apple sources and think they probably tuned them specifically for Apple devices when designing them.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #4,035 of 4,383

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking but where did you snag ue900s for £150? They were a bargain indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back